Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times

Advertisements

As for the person who said Publix would blow HT out of the water...I say you crazy!

Harris Teeter is on every corner. You think people will drive past 5 Harris Teeters (which they have been going to for 50 years) to go to an out of the way Publix?

Isn't that what people said about Lowes Food? Whenever I go in the Lowes in the Prominade, it is generally empty (especially compared to the HT across the street).

Sure, Publix may do well in certain locations where people are not entrenched to HT, but all in all, I think you find it hard for people to switch from their loyal HT to a similar store in Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
As for the person who said Publix would blow HT out of the water...I say you crazy!

Harris Teeter is on every corner. You think people will drive past 5 Harris Teeters (which they have been going to for 50 years) to go to an out of the way Publix?

Isn't that what people said about Lowes Food? Whenever I go in the Lowes in the Prominade, it is generally empty (especially compared to the HT across the street).

Sure, Publix may do well in certain locations where people are not entrenched to HT, but all in all, I think you find it hard for people to switch from their loyal HT to a similar store in Publix.
If you think that people are so brand loyal, with the economy the way it is....I say you're crazy. I drive past 2 HTs, a Bilo, and a Food Lion to get to our Lowes. It's not 2 years ago, when gas was $2 a gallon cheaper- people are really starting to go where they can get the best deals.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
If you think that people are so brand loyal, with the economy the way it is....I say you're crazy. I drive past 2 HTs, a Bilo, and a Food Lion to get to our Lowes. It's not 2 years ago, when gas was $2 a gallon cheaper- people are really starting to go where they can get the best deals.
But yet you drive past a Bi-Lo & Food Lion which has the lowest prices to go to an upscale Lowes? I rest my case.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 AM

111 posts, read 332,203 times
Default Whole Food competition

Last year Publix opened two new GREENWISE stores in Palm Beach County. Direct competition with Whole Foods. Hopefully they will look at LKN and come in with a Greenwise! That would be great. I have been in stores throughout Florida and they have held true to the Publix pledge, haven't been in any SC ones yet. Some of the older stores can look a little rundown. I worked in the Publix Danish Bakery during high school! We gave S&H green stamps then. Publix was even closed on Sundays.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 AM

285 posts, read 1,071,784 times
Remembering the Publixes in Kendall, FL and comparing them to HT & Lowes here, I think hands down HT and Lowes are better. I would only go to Publix if they had more of the cuban foods.

Publix is very nice though in Kendall, where the winn dixies and other stores were horrible.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanley View Post
One word: Wegmans?
Wegman's came in here. It's not my cup of tea.

I'm more interested in how Publix compares to Pathmark or Giant (the one from DC) for comparison purposes for people originally from the mid-Atlantic. How about Meijer, for people from some areas of the midwest? (even Kroger, as I'm also familiar with them)

Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
HT is my favorite grocery store. I especially like the one at Morrocroft. Just a nice experience walking in there. I shop specials everywhere I go, so I have no problem keeping my grocery bill down, regardless where I shop. Takes some effort, but it is like a game to me after all these years.

I was hoping Publix would carry things we don't ordinarily see here, such as the Cuban products that others have discussed on the forum.
I go to HT when I can, but their prices on many things atre keeping me away lately. I often by "tv dinners" for lunch and the chepeast ones at HT are $2.50 when on sale. I can go the Tega Cay Walmart and get a 14 oz Michelina's meal for $1.67; no coupons; sales etc. The HT at 521 and Ardrey Kell is not doing so well either. I do go to the HT in Fort Mill on my way home to pick up an item or two because it's convenient.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanley View Post
One word: Wegmans?
They won't be here anytime soon.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:03 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
HT is very clean and friendly, but they have a limited selectiona and if its not on VIC card their prices are high.

Lowes has better pricing but their quality isn't so good (but they have Boars Head meat my fav)

I was a big Kroger/Fry's person on the west coast and miss them.

I would welcome the compitition, Bloom/Food Lion does nothing for me. Target/Walmart Super Centers are the cheapest but so inconvenient. Bi Lo, not great experience and thats about it. IN other states you usually had at least 5 full on grocery stores to choose from. Not including Super Stores and Speciality.

Whoever they bring better have Red bOx though, I sometimes shop at HT only because I am picking up a movie and remember I need some bananananananas.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
HT is very clean and friendly, but they have a limited selectiona and if its not on VIC card their prices are high.

Lowes has better pricing but their quality isn't so good (but they have Boars Head meat my fav)

I was a big Kroger/Fry's person on the west coast and miss them.

I would welcome the compitition, Bloom/Food Lion does nothing for me. Target/Walmart Super Centers are the cheapest but so inconvenient. Bi Lo, not great experience and thats about it. IN other states you usually had at least 5 full on grocery stores to choose from. Not including Super Stores and Speciality.

Whoever they bring better have Red bOx though, I sometimes shop at HT only because I am picking up a movie and remember I need some bananananananas.
Wouldn't ya just kill to be the dude that came up with these?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte