Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:37 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
No, if I could be out there tomorrow I would be! I am willing to take a $10-$20k a year pay cut to be with her as we are looking long-term out there. However, I have applied at about 20 different places, mostly law enforcement type jobs, and I get the typical, you are not qualified or don't meet our needs. I have heard that a lot of places out in the Carolina's almost discriminate against people that do not live in the area or are not from the area.....don't know if there is any truth to that but it seems it sure is! I've had one test and one interview at same police department. It's very frustrating

Law enforcement job.... MCSO is actively recruiting Detention Officers right now, the starting pay isn't too bad. It's more than DOC. You should call and speak with a recruiter. Need to apply by 8/31/12

Recruiting

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 08-25-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Just keep in mind that a detention officer job will not lead to a deputy position. It is posted on their website.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
And live in poverty while doing so! Who could live off of $9-$13 an hour these days?
Strangely enough, many of us have gone through hard times. In undergraduate school, I drove a school bus in the mornings, went to classes, cleaned bathrooms for a chemical company and installed air fresheners in nearby cities three times a week, and loaded trucks for UPS from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm while having to pay rent, child support, college fees and books, etc. It is part of evolving into better things.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM

162 posts, read 228,580 times
Yup, thats me right now. Work 9-5 then go to school 6 to 9. All while starting/ running a small business. And I still have time to post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Strangely enough, many of us have gone through hard times. In undergraduate school, I drove a school bus in the mornings, went to classes, cleaned bathrooms for a chemical company and installed air fresheners in nearby cities three times a week, and loaded trucks for UPS from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm while having to pay rent, child support, college fees and books, etc. It is part of evolving into better things.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
Yup, thats me right now. Work 9-5 then go to school 6 to 9. All while starting/ running a small business. And I still have time to post here
You are an inspiration

Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excellent advice. Sometimes, getting where we want to be eventually involves a series of steps. Being flexible and open to possibilities - and willing to accept lower paying jobs - can lead to the final goal. Few things in life follow a direct path. That Yellow Brick Road can have lots of twists and turns, lol.
You have to pay your dues to get ahead. I have no problems with the low rate of pay. Then again its not my primary job. There are people at my company putting in 100 hours a week. That's quite a bit beyond what I need, but I believe it will lead me to something better further down the road.

The Mecklenburg County Sheriff's office is still hiring detention officers. I think the pay is around $30k with benefits.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
People who are looking to train for a better pay job should focus on skilled jobs for manufacturing where over 600,000 high paid jobs go unfilled for lack of skilled workers in US (tool and die workers, welders, robot technicians, mechanics, CNC machinists, electricians, technicians, engineers, scientists, etc).

http://www.nam.org/~/media/E290A7896...460C1C915.ashx

Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM

40 posts, read 82,110 times
Hello, yes my degree is in Advertising/Communications, and for the past 12 years I have been working at a realtor's association as the Membership Administrator. I am looking for an administrative position. I know that I really want to move to Charlotte, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of taking a job down there that pays less.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Once you factor in the fact that a 1000 square foot house doesn't cost 600,000 like in some major metros, a lower salary isn't all that bad. If lower pay spooks you, stay put. Simple as that. But, thousands of people have come down here and managed to make it work, probably on lower salaries.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGeorgia View Post
Hello, yes my degree is in Advertising/Communications, and for the past 12 years I have been working at a realtor's association as the Membership Administrator. I am looking for an administrative position. I know that I really want to move to Charlotte, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of taking a job down there that pays less.
I know. Even if you can find an opening, it most likely is going to pay less than you have been used to making.

You have to carefully weigh out cost of living. People who have a home are excited b/c their real estate taxes will be lower (they are going up and will continue to rise, so that is getting to be less of a "bargain" - depending on where a person is moving from). So if you don't have a home, that "savings" is not going to be a consideration. Many report that overall, they are surprised that they have not seen a real savings on such things as food, clothing, gas -- and utilities. Milder winters may mean a savings on utilities, but not if a person was in a location where they didn't depend on A/C in the summer, as we typically do have hot humid summers (compared to many locations in the NE).

Also, car registration and insurance may not be a savings (but if you don't have a car, then that doesn't apply to you). Last time I checked, Meck had the highest car insurance rates in the state, but that could have changed. If relying on public transportation, there is cost associated with that plus limited schedules and often, no connections to various areas, leaving one without transportation to those locations.

So you just have to compare even the small details to come up with a realistic picture as to whether or not moving to this region with a lower salary is actually going to benefit your particular situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte