Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

I am reading all this info -- and seeing a LOT of vids on youtube -- about putting together a "bug out" bag.

My question is . . . what if we would have a situation (like a nuclear reactor blow up) where we would need to "bug out" . . . where would people in Charlotte GO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,380,099 times
Up the creek without a paddle?? ;p

Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am reading all this info -- and seeing a LOT of vids on youtube -- about putting together a "bug out" bag.

My question is . . . what if we would have a situation (like a nuclear reactor blow up) where we would need to "bug out" . . . where would people in Charlotte GO?
Ani, there was a woman who was relocating who asked a similar question. The answer for her, based on her husband's job location, was Kings Mountain. I guess the answer for someone already living in Charlotte would depend on where the crisis would be.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Up the creek without a paddle?? ;p
Hee Hee. That is kinda what I am thinking, lol.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, there was a woman who was relocating who asked a similar question. The answer for her, based on her husband's job location, was Kings Mountain. I guess the answer for someone already living in Charlotte would depend on where the crisis would be.
Well, let's just assume we would have to relocate as quickly as possible, out of the city.

Kings Mountain is a good location, I would think. How easy is it to get into that property?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, let's just assume we would have to relocate as quickly as possible, out of the city.

Kings Mountain is a good location, I would think. How easy is it to get into that property?
The city, the twp, or the battlefield? All 3 are relatively easy.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The city, the twp, or the battlefield? All 3 are relatively easy.
I would think the battlefield -- the woods surrounding the battlefield.

It has been a long time since I went there and I don't remember if there are gates, chains, fences . . . if there were some kind of crisis, it would seem part of the journey would probably be in a vehicle but part may be on foot (thus - the bug out bag). And the end goal could be to unobtrusively set up in a place and probably camp -- maybe even meet up with others.

Kings Mountain is the perfect location for such a thing, but I have no clue how stringent the laws are about who is on the property, how they gain entry, etc.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM

The other thing would be . . . let's suppose people are exiting the city and it is chaotic.

Seems most folks would be using main highways, so it would be best to know backroads to get to your pre-planned destination.

Maybe it would be best to go south to SC.

All these "plans" won't mean a thing if people get snarled up in traffic jams.

I cannot conceive of how one would choose a location to evacuate to with taking in account all the variables of traffic and weather and there is just no way to plan for all that.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,696 times
That would be rough. My main concern would be relative/friends without cars. I'd try to pack as many as possible into the car , and take the backroads out. Likely somewhere east , in a sparsely populated area. I've thought about such a scenario before , and the aforementioned concern always pops up.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
I must admit I had to google what a "bug out bag" was. But I'm not sure I understand the question...is the country going to hell in this situation or just Charlotte? Are these places outside of Charlotte (such as Kings Mountain) still functioning normally? If so, why would you need to hide out in a battlefield? I live off of Albemarle Rd anyway so I guess I'd see if I could make it to Albemarle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte