Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM

119 posts, read 183,406 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm asking this question on behalf of my wife who recently graduated Nursing school. We're currently researching areas of interest in the Huntersville/Charlotte area to move with our 5 year old son. We have family in NC and would like to live closer to my wife's home country of Germany. A little background, the lady and I opted for me to work while she went to school. Four grueling years later on one decent income, she finally graduated college and now we're wondering about possible Nursing opportunities in the Charlotte area.

With that in mind, how are the job opportunities in the Nursing field in NC? I've also heard that "transplants" may have a harder time securing positions as opposed to locals. My wife and I currently live in Las Vegas where RN positions are plentiful, but we're done with the wild west life. My cousin owns a business in Charlotte on Providence and another in Huntersville and he sais he loves it there.

Now, obviously it pays to have connections with work and life in general, but is it imperative in NC for Nurses? Also, my wife earned an Associates of Applied Science in Nursing which took her four years to obtain, 2 years of prerequisites and 2 years of the actual school. She also graduated with high honors and speaks both English and German. Have you guys also heard anything about BSN's being the majority at hospitals? I'm asking because my wife's school is one of the top Nursing schools in the Nation, but simply didn't offer the program as a BSN; however, Las Vegas hospitals actually prefer her school's Nursing graduates over the University (UNLV).

She's evenetually going to finish her BSN (3 more classes, I know, nothing,) but moving forward she'd like to obtain her masters and become a Nurse Practicioner. What do you guys think as far as opportunities in your lovely state of NC?

Your advice and feedback are highly appreciated and thank you in advance for your helpful responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm asking this question on behalf of my wife who recently graduated Nursing school. We're currently researching areas of interest in the Huntersville/Charlotte area to move with our 5 year old son. We have family in NC and would like to live closer to my wife's home country of Germany. A little background, the lady and I opted for me to work while she went to school. Four grueling years later on one decent income, she finally graduated college and now we're wondering about possible Nursing opportunities in the Charlotte area.

With that in mind, how are the job opportunities in the Nursing field in NC? I've also heard that "transplants" may have a harder time securing positions as opposed to locals. My wife and I currently live in Las Vegas where RN positions are plentiful, but we're done with the wild west life. My cousin owns a business in Charlotte on Providence and another in Huntersville and he sais he loves it there.

Now, obviously it pays to have connections with work and life in general, but is it imperative in NC for Nurses? Also, my wife earned an Associates of Applied Science in Nursing which took her four years to obtain, 2 years of prerequisites and 2 years of the actual school. She also graduated with high honors and speaks both English and German. Have you guys also heard anything about BSN's being the majority at hospitals? I'm asking because my wife's school is one of the top Nursing schools in the Nation, but simply didn't offer the program as a BSN; however, Las Vegas hospitals actually prefer her school's Nursing graduates over the University (UNLV).

She's evenetually going to finish her BSN (3 more classes, I know, nothing,) but moving forward she'd like to obtain her masters and become a Nurse Practicioner. What do you guys think as far as opportunities in your lovely state of NC?

Your advice and feedback are highly appreciated and thank you in advance for your helpful responses
Hospitals in Charlotte have pretty much gone all BSN's (RN's) at this point. They have phased out LPN's for the most part.

You don't need "connections" to get a nursing job in the Charlotte metro - in general, you need a specialized skill set and years of experience.

Her best bets in Charlotte as an LPN are going to be in nursing homes, doctor's offices and the county jail. But there is an over saturation of nurses in the area, so even those jobs aren't always easy to come by.

If I were you, I'd have her start putting some applications in, just in case. But also, start looking at surrounding smaller towns outside of the Charlotte metro to consider going to where her chances as an LPN are greater - Statesville, Rock Hill, Monroe, Gastonia, Albemarle - just to name a few. Best of luck.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hospitals in Charlotte have pretty much gone all BSN's (RN's) at this point. They have phased out LPN's for the most part.

You don't need "connections" to get a nursing job in the Charlotte metro - in general, you need a specialized skill set and years of experience.

Her best bets in Charlotte as an LPN are going to be in nursing homes, doctor's offices and the county jail. But there is an over saturation of nurses in the area, so even those jobs aren't always easy to come by.

If I were you, I'd have her start putting some applications in, just in case. But also, start looking at surrounding smaller towns outside of the Charlotte metro to consider going to where her chances as an LPN are greater - Statesville, Rock Hill, Monroe, Gastonia, Albemarle - just to name a few. Best of luck.

Thank you for your response! My wife is actually a licensed Registered Nurse, not an LPN. I should have made that clear in my original post. She simply graduated as an RN with an Associates versus a Bachelors as her college didn't offer it at the time. Furthermore, BSN just means Bachelor of Science in Nursing versus Associate of Applied Science in Nursing, but both are RN's. Sorry to sound repetitive, but I noticed you typed "BSN (RN)" but ADN is also an RN.

My apologies if your eyes hurt after reading that confusing paragraph, mine sure did : ) Now, you stated that hospitals are going full RN versus LPN, well that won't be a problem for my wife. Her specialized skill set is in Med/Surg and she recently got her EKG certification. Experience on the other hand is definite must. She'll have 2 years under her belt by the time we move in 2013 and she plans on starting the application process in the coming year.

Thank you very much for your input!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM

27 posts, read 44,664 times
I'm a transplant BSN RN with only a little over a year experience at the time and had no problem. I also work with quite a few Associate RNs - all are continuing with their BSN as they work, and some are heading toward their NP. That being said, don't move without the job in hand first...I've read many struggles on this board. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenjaRN View Post
I'm a transplant BSN RN with only a little over a year experience at the time and had no problem. I also work with quite a few Associate RNs - all are continuing with their BSN as they work, and some are heading toward their NP. That being said, don't move without the job in hand first...I've read many struggles on this board. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I'm glad things worked out in your favor.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM

107 posts, read 201,344 times
They do not require a BSN here as I once thought. It just takes A LOT of time to find the job! It took me 10 mths, and I am experienced, and have a BSN. Start applying NOW. Believe me, HR at the hospitals are overwhelmed with resumes. Make hers stand out. Good luck. Put the key words from the job description in her resume, that will flag it for her to get an interview.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingjulie View Post
They do not require a BSN here as I once thought. It just takes A LOT of time to find the job! It took me 10 mths, and I am experienced, and have a BSN. Start applying NOW. Believe me, HR at the hospitals are overwhelmed with resumes. Make hers stand out. Good luck. Put the key words from the job description in her resume, that will flag it for her to get an interview.
"Keywords" in the job description are exactly what government resumes require to get an interview. Very useful information, thank you!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 AM

I just thought I'd update this thread to let anyone interested know that my wife secured an RN position in Charlotte. She flies out of Germany on the 21st. We're both excited but scared at the same time. We moved from Las Vegas to Germany and now to North Carolina. People think we're nuts, but I've always looked at the world as our play ground. See you guys and gals around!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 AM

314 posts, read 676,030 times
Congratulations! Oh, and I just LOVE when posters come back to update their threads! Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM

You're welcome, MA2NC and thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte