Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,286,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
Yes, Fact. It was already provided to you last time you denied that it was true. But I'm a nice guy, here it is again. It was in the Charlotte Observer more than once.

US Airways authored the Airport Authority Bill. No only did US Airways author the bill, they worked with the local Senators to insure that it got entered as a bill at the NC GA.
Not a fact and all hearsay based on those who want you to believe so, and I am a super nice guy. Those local buffoons crafted the bill (see Asheville).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There will be no authority. That is settled. The city didn't expect to get the law invalidated today even if they asked just like Manning's attorney didn't expect to have charges dropped before closing arguments began. You ask for those things because you have a chance to shoot for the moon so why not take it? That doesn't mean they actually thought they'd get it.

I expect that when the FAA's questions are answered then the commission will come in to being. Maybe the city would appeal that or the lawsuit continues based on remaining merit while the commission is in force.

That would be an inconvenience but the questions for a preliminary injunction are, is the city likely to win and without an injunction will there be irreparable harm?

If the answers are no then there will not be an injunction unless the state/commission agrees to one because without an injunction things will be awkward if the case moves to trial.
The city has already gotten most of what it wants and will continue to get a bit of a better deal. Most of what is happening is in response to local GOP arrogance. Some of them are caught in a time warp and have yet to realize a lot of those tactics don't "fly" (pun intended) anymore. Will an authority happen? Sure....it's a good idea but don't bite the hand that feeds ya.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 AM

279 posts, read 448,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not a fact and all hearsay based on those who want you to believe so, and I am a super nice guy. Those local buffoons crafted the bill (see Asheville).
Well. The only proof you are providing that the Observer story is wrong & hearsay is your opinion. You asked for "credible" and I consider the Observer, such as it is, to be more credible.

Furthermore not only did the US Airways draft the legislation, they also donated money to the political campaigns of the 3 senators who sponsored the bill at the time the bill was being filed. That is a matter of public record.

This from a blog that is noted to be very liberal leftist. (as much as contemporary Americans can be)
Applied Rationality: US Airways' contribution$ to the Charlotte airport grab

No matter what happens, I see nothing that would indicate the city has a good working relationship with the airline. The one person the airline did work with for decades and liked, Jerry Orr, has been fired by the city.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There will be no authority. That is settled. ...
If you mean commission, then it's not settled.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:20 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,772,062 times
Quote:
If you mean commission, then it's not settled.
You called it an authority in post 289. So it's not me that meant commission. Perhaps you.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Well. The only proof you are providing that the Observer story is wrong & hearsay is your opinion. You asked for "credible" and I consider the Observer, such as it is, to be more credible.

Furthermore not only did the US Airways draft the legislation, they also donated money to the political campaigns of the 3 senators who sponsored the bill at the time the bill was being filed. That is a matter of public record.

This from a blog that is noted to be very liberal leftist. (as much as contemporary Americans can be)
Applied Rationality: US Airways' contribution$ to the Charlotte airport grab

No matter what happens, I see nothing that would indicate the city has a good working relationship with the airline. The one person the airline did work with for decades and liked, Jerry Orr, has been fired by the city.
It's all conjecture but believe what you will because it doesn't really matter in the long run. The airport authority concept was hatched by the local GOP as was done in Asheville. The irony of the situation is that the power grap essentially got Orr fired, which none of them saw coming. Even in an authority structure the city members will have the majority membership and representation who US Airways will to have to work with.

None of this determines what happens with US Airways hub status but it does determine how a lot of the contract money gets disseminated, after all it's about the money.

This thing may drag-on for a while on a baseless suit. I actually thought the judge would toss it out....round 1 to the city, stay tuned.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It's all conjecture....
The only conjecture that I see are your posts where you simply ignore what has been reported in the press and anything that doesn't fit your theory of this being a GOP inspired vendetta against the Black city council and/or good ole boys looking for contract money. (though you can't cite any evidence or cases of where this happens and it ignores the fact the city council approves every single contract anyway)

Everyone has an opinion, I don't deny this, but it's an equivalence fallacy to expect this line of reasoning is the same as that supported by published facts, figures and laws.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The only conjecture that I see are your posts where you simply ignore what has been reported in the press and anything that doesn't fit your theory of this being a GOP inspired vendetta against the Black city council and/or good ole boys looking for contract money. (though you can't cite any evidence or cases of where this happens and it ignores the fact the city council approves every single contract anyway)

Everyone has an opinion, I don't deny this, but it's an equivalence fallacy to expect this line of reasoning is the same as that supported by published facts, figures and laws.
You have me mixed up with someone else, I have never stated anything about a vendetta against the Black city council. It's about green money and power that is, reread my post. Orr runs the show and has a ton of relationships with vendors, etc., and usually gets what he wants regardless of the "Black" city councils position. With a new sheriff in town, things are gonna run a bit differently around here pawd-na. Then, toss in the new county folk with a fork at the table, it's gonna get a bit messy with the over-the-night airport authority to the rescue.

What is interesting is that the good ole boys got blindsided with the Orr removal technicality.. then the FAA concerns, I guess US airways needs to revisit the hand-book on creating an authority, simply inexcusable oversight or ignorance. No way the city's suit should've held water in a court of law if the authority had been meticulously fleshed-out. At least now, the pompous ones (GOP) are required to do a little homework instead of solely relying on their contacts and influences to close the deal.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM

The Cabarrus county commission will be meeting tonight to determine the process for filling its seat on the new Charlotte Douglass International Airport Commission. They are moving forward as if Charlotte will not prevail on its attempt to blunt the new state law.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The Cabarrus county commission will be meeting tonight to determine the process for filling its seat on the new Charlotte Douglass International Airport Commission. They are moving forward as if Charlotte will not prevail on its attempt to blunt the new state law.
They should and be prepared if the suit is dismissed. My issue with the GA/state run authority is these are the same people who can't pave or widen a freeway in Charlotte. And now they're supposedly going to provide a "high" level of subject matter expertise to run the Charlotte airport? And mix in the suburban fiefdom who consider Charlotte city proper to be a distant land. Eventually the airport authority may gel into a fine-tuned machine but expect a cluster-f of unprecedented proportion over the next few years. Everybody's got an agenda and that includes Cabarrus County.

The unintended consequences of an airport authority have yet to be realized and Orr getting fired is one of them. He's effectively been dismissed until further notice and probably realizes what kind of bozos he sided with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte