Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I wish someone wanted to take my place on the board. It sucks. I have some new people that have just moved in. I believe I will welcome them and congratulate them on their new title, President of the HOA.
Lol, that is exactly how I became an HOA president one time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
You are correct. Management Companies recommend that fines be minimum and they are only enforced after all opportunities for correction of a infraction has been afforded. The limits on fines are also limited to a certain time frame. And yes, the liens are what really counts. Like most legal matters, the person not obeying rules is strictly pampered.
Isn't the max for a fine $100, but the minimum for a lien $101? Basically, a single fine cannot become a lien.. I'm a bit rusty in this area, but as a homeowner, all you are really required to pay are assessments, and turning fines into assessments isn't possible. Typically, and HOA may fine, but according to its rights, can have work performed on a property, and can then bill the cost as an assessment, which can lead to foreclosure, (but good luck finding a judge who will rule on such a case).

At any rate, an HOA has to file a lot of paperwork and keep up on a lien or it will default. For an HOA to be so aggressive, you have to have a real busy-body running it - unfortunately I've seen these people. Your best bet may be joining the board and/or showcasing the cost of legal action - the board may have a rabid leader, but the neighborhood generally will have no stomach for getting into expensive legal battles.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 PM

18 posts, read 13,082 times
Default Eagerness to fine me

Quote:
What is wrong with these nuts? They should know better. By the way, I try my best to not foreclose. I have several that are making monthly payments. It is always better to get the money in somehow. I have repeat offenders. Every year they get way behind in dues and at the end of the year, they try to get a reduction or the fines dropped. I did that once, but never again. I wish someone wanted to take my place on the board. It sucks. I have some new people that have just moved in. I believe I will welcome them and congratulate them on their new title, President of the HOA.

I'm sorry this is a little out of the blue the way I described it. It is not, I triggered it with something I did. I didn;t cause any of it, but I did trigger them doing it. I'll admit it.

So I did a front patio last year to keep water and plants away from rooting under my foundation.
The builder poured a patio and jackhammered it away cos the house was spec-ed without a patio.
There was barely 6" of dirt and barely 3" of depth before the concrete they left there (remnants of the patio) and planted shrubs over it.
Over 15 yrs I constantly found the shrubs rooting under the foundation and when we got heavy rains and it puddled there - I'd get water in the house.
That I tried to fix last summer - when I shockingly found so much concrete there - and ended up pouring a patio over that buried concrete with a grade away from the house.
They sent me an ARC form right as I was digging there. Which I filledsent back, and they lost it (or gave it to the old board's ARC). I got no response.

The new board ganged up and kicked out all the old members (who were at that point 1/2 were only 1 yr in their 2 yr terms but they had all done multiple 2 yr terms.
Anyway I send in ARC form for my Roof to be done later this week and that prompts the board to remember ooooohhhhh a dozen or so roofs were replaced - and none had ARC. Who knew they had to have ARC for Roof. D-oh ... lets send ARC to everyone for 5yr old replacement roofs.

I'm sorry, there are so many violations in my neighborhood its ridiculous, most of that is by board members or prior members. Including rental % violation.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:14 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
No offense but you sound like you have mental issues.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:06 PM

Default Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post

Yes autistic and have the Label to prove it. However I also have an engineering degree and a full 25 yrs as a software engineer, so it doesn't affect me except positively. So while autistic people can be very affected, I am more along the lines of Bill Gates (who while being worth 2 billion in 1996 fought a parking ticket) - That could be me, make that 2 billion $2 and the $35 ticket to a $3000 fake HOA ticket, and its me.

I read a document - and I remember it - always. However that also means that I read the rules even before I made an offer to purchase, and I am well aware of what laws I am breaking, and how many others are breaking it and what other laws who is breaking.

The interpretation of the 7:03 law was wrong from day 1. I beat them on it in 2005. Then I am breaking 7:03 as is the whole rest of the neighborhood.

Then in 2015, the HOA decided it applied to street parking - not driveways.
They are not writing up people on driveways, but the street.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 PM

Default $100 + $25 a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Isn't the max for a fine $100, but the minimum for a lien $101? Basically, a single fine cannot become a lien.. I'm a bit rusty in this area, but as a homeowner, all you are really required to pay are assessments, and turning fines into assessments isn't possible. Typically, and HOA may fine, but according to its rights, can have work performed on a property, and can then bill the cost as an assessment, which can lead to foreclosure, (but good luck finding a judge who will rule on such a case).

At any rate, an HOA has to file a lot of paperwork and keep up on a lien or it will default. For an HOA to be so aggressive, you have to have a real busy-body running it - unfortunately I've seen these people. Your best bet may be joining the board and/or showcasing the cost of legal action - the board may have a rabid leader, but the neighborhood generally will have no stomach for getting into expensive legal battles.
Our fearless leader is rabid and clueless as they come. They also go about it like its a full time job + as well as glad and eager to do it, and go above and beyond and far far far beyond. They literally kicked out the previous ones that were on the board.
There is atleast one board member that is on it for reasons other than service to the community. She was trying to get on the board when she theoretically wasn't even an owner. I am almost certain her end game is to retaliate against me (as well as a few others) if I recall.
Thanks.
Srinath.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:14 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Thanks to HOAs, we don't have morons working on their cars on their front driveways, parking in their yards, unsightly lawns, trash, excessively loud music after 10:00, brats on skateboards ruining our sidewalks, and dogs crapping all over the place. What we do have are homes that will retain their integrity and value or even increase plus free lawn service in most cases. I look at you and laugh myself at the poor neighbor you would likely make. Thank god for non-HOA areas in the country for nonconformists.
We built a nice home on several acres with 8 other houses in near vicinity. I have never....not even once.....seen some "moron" working on his car curbside, dog crap where it shouldn't be, skateboarders tearing **** up, or even a hint of loud music.

HOA's are for the weak-minded who want to be part of some sort of "club" or something. "You can't do that...the HOA blah blah blah!" You want someone to do your dirty-work for you when in reality the vast majority of neighborhoods don't even suffer from the crap you speak of anyway. It's a waste of time, money, and freedom.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM

436 posts, read 445,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We built a nice home on several acres with 8 other houses in near vicinity. I have never....not even once.....seen some "moron" working on his car curbside, dog crap where it shouldn't be, skateboarders tearing **** up, or even a hint of loud music.

HOA's are for the weak-minded who want to be part of some sort of "club" or something. "You can't do that...the HOA blah blah blah!" You want someone to do your dirty-work for you when in reality the vast majority of neighborhoods don't even suffer from the crap you speak of anyway. It's a waste of time, money, and freedom.
There are many non-HOA areas that have permanent residents that are considerate and intelligent. I would prefer to live in a non-HOA area if I were surrounded by good neighbors and most people are. However, HOAs fit the bill when there are huge, diverse, communities with lots people from different cultures that may need someone to help with their transition to new norms or those that just aren't familiar with living in close proximity to others. The HOA's goals is keep up the value and integrity of the community.

Your second paragraph is stupid. Maybe you should have an understanding of the pros and cons of an issue before making mindless statements.

Last edited by richard rawaon; 02-18-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 PM

HOA's are a poorly thought out solution to a non existent problem. Its more the fear of the problem.
Someone might work on their car, so we need the HOA to protect us.
City will write you up just as effectively if you have a car on blocks and those tickets also hold up In court and everywhere else better.

It can be worse, yes, in theory, but usually it never is. However you cant get entry level homeowners to live on 1-2 acres each and grasp the concept of "up keep" etc etc. Coming from an apartment, they need to have a HOA to "protect them"

Cool.
Srinath.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:48 PM

436 posts, read 445,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post

So, do you feel stupid yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte