Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM

37 posts, read 133,999 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to NC from Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are leaning towards the Charlotte,Winston-Salem, Statesville areas. Haven't quite decided. Schools are not an issue as our 4 boys are 18 -23. We are trying to locate a rental home, 3/2 in the price range of $700 - $1100. My husband will be getting back into EMS so we need to be in a location where employment is not an issue and where he can go to school to get his NC state licensure for EMT. I am a Certified Chiropractic Assistant and would also like to be near where I can locate employment fairly easy. We are also trying to be in an area near my parents who live in Stony Point, N of Statesville. We don't mind being about an 45-60 minute drive from them, but would like to be in their area if possible.

Any input would be much appreciated. Especially with affordable rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,996,111 times
I think it might be easier if he had a job offer and then found a place to live. Has he looked in Statesville for an EMT opening? If he ends up in Charlotte (uptown area, south Charlotte), I think the commute (depending on his hours) might be more than 45-60 minutes in rush hours. Of course he could always look north of Charlotte in Mooresville, Cornelius, Huntersville, Concord, troutman, Denver areas and still be relatively close to Statesville.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM

328 posts, read 618,953 times
Charlotte is a really wonderful city for families - the cost of living is low (perhaps slightly higher than the suburban and rural communities surrounding it, but still very affordable compared to most US cities) and it is honestly one of the easiest places I've ever lived (cost, quality, entertainment). The benefit is that as the largest city in North Carolina, you have access to a lot of resources: music and art are really thriving, plenty of lovely parks and recreation spots, fantastic restaurants. I think the commute might be significant, as the previous poster said, but there are areas in North CLT or just north of CLT that will allow you access to the city without having to drive through the entire city just to get home. You'll love NC - it's a beautiful place.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 AM

34,260 posts, read 83,535,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
My husband will be getting back into EMS
I am a Certified Chiropractic Assistant...
Wherever you might move to... if licensing is involved have that sorted before arrival.
And at least one of you MUST have a job that you can live off of before arrival.

Quote:
our 4 boys are 18 -23.
We are trying to locate a rental home, 3/2 in the price range of $700 - $1100.
Does that mean the plan is for these 6 adults to all be in those 3 bedrooms?
The LL's will be lining up around the block for that.

If your 18-23yo boys want to go to college they'll be better off staying where they are.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM

37 posts, read 133,999 times
In response to MrRational, only one of the boys will be living with us. The others will come just to visit, for now. We are really leaning more towards Charlotte and the surrounding areas. In response to Riley09swb, as far as employment, we are financially prepared to be able to live for at least a year, even without immediate employment. My son, however that is moving with us, already has a job in place for him when we arrive.

I've lived in NC before for 11 years but on the eastern side in the Raleigh area. And I love NC, however I am not all that familiar with the western side NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte