Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I think they'd go more toward the airport on West Blvd. is an excellent location IMO. Or more North in between 485 and 77 near the mall. There's more vacant land, ect instead of creating the stress and complications of having two states fund and construct the Olympics and then SC would try and claim the entire games because one or two venues were built in a precious suburb like they try and claim Carowinds.
What in the world are you talking about? Unless SC claims that all of Carowinds is within the state's borders--and it doesn't--then your "point" is null and void.

And the point being made is that there are already existing venues within SC that could be used. No doubt facilities at USC in Columbia would be used, and Rock Hill's efforts at carving out a sports tourism niche has already resulted in facilities like the velodrome (endorsed by USA Cycling), plus it's currently in the process of developing one of only two Olympic trial-caliber Bicycle Motocross Supercross race facilities in the nation. So why in the world would Charlotte want to unnecessarily spend funds building a bunch of facilities that already exist in the region? That would be dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Charlotte has just over 30,000.

Atlanta's system did not handle close to half a million people in 1996 unless ridership has been stagnant for 17 years. You're saying Atlanta had to (and succeeded) "beefing up transit infrastructure" and it's just as likely to happen in Charlotte.

We obviously know exactly what needs to be done. Out of how many of the 35 cities are taking this as seriously as Charlotte?
My apologies. I just caught that mistake myself. I got misled by some poorly worded articles about the DNC convention, but still that is an uphill battle for you guys.

and actually ... ridership wasn't much lower. It has been pretty stagnant. We opened one new heavy rail line, but we have lowered frequencies and cut bus routes, so yes even in 1990 when we made the official bid transit operations were pretty strong. Most of the current/modern day complains people have about Atlanta and transit is our inability to have transit (in a sizable way) go out to 3 of our 5 core counties. It is why our % covered by transit is so low, but our percentage using transit and our overall numbers are higher. Where we have it... its pretty beefy, but it is limited to the central areas of 2 counties and some expansive in distance, but limited in frequency commuter bus operations.

To answer your final question... I think it is way too early to know how many of the 35 cities are taking this seriously. It is still fairly recent news and many mayors are still doing their quiet preliminary fact-finding/considerations.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I love how you just glossed over a collection of banks. Thats big money...

I agree with the political influence but we have no idea who will be in office when this vote takes place.
I id not gloss over it.Its a pretty established fact that Charlotte is a banking capitol.It has nothing to do about anybody in office,its about the clout that people have..

Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Charlotte, state of NC and the Carolinas region could manage the Olympics in 10-15 years....and to some extent is better prepared than 1996 Atlanta with the many venues within a 90 mile radius (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Columbia, Greenville) of the city of Charlotte. I don't think it'll happen with the likes of Chicago, Houston, Dallas, etc. in the running...too many name brand/major cities positioning for the opportunity.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
8 new venues were consructed for the London Games.

Right. Because Charlotte doesn't have a "political clout" that you know of, means chances are less. Things have changed since 1996 and will change again before 2014.

Umm...thats the point.I should know as the average educated person should know who your pitch man is.If Straus-Kahn were pitching France for the Olympics,Im sure people would know.
Hugh McColl has been gone out of the picture.Jessie Helms thank God is dead and he would not have helped your cause.I guess Elizabeth Dole would be good since she was also head of the Red Cross.

Oh yeh how about John Edwards he would.....oops..never mind.You tell me?Who has that kind of influence?
People know a President,the US UN Ambassador,and a a sr ranking Senator and Chairman of the Armed Services committee like Sam Nunn.
Andrew Young appealed to the African Delegation of the IOC members.He told of how Atlanta was capital of the Civil Rights movement and MLK jr. Other leaders played played up the extremely popular book and movie Gone with the Wind as if people actually walked around drinking mint juleps and women wearing hoop skirts.
Not too mention Coke is the most recognized brand in the WORLD period.Coke is a power house.You associate something with Coke and it goes beyond the normal endorsement.
Charlotte has to attract the IOC members as they would if they were to win.
Honestly Atlanta really marketed themselves well.Charlotte has got to that too.NASCAR museum is NOT the answer.It could be part of it if it was packaged right with other attractions.However honestly speaking I don't know what people around the world could possibly know about Charlotte.Banking and Nascar doent cut it.

Duke Energy, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chiquita would all definitely sponsor. I'm sure other companies would too. Also, a company doesn't have to be based in the city hosting for it to sponser.
Yes this is London.The Financial Center of the world not A banking center.Not Charlotte.
Where does Charlotte fall
Based no.Not for sp

Last edited by afonega1; 02-23-2013 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Charlotte, state of NC and the Carolinas region could manage the Olympics in 10-15 years....and to some extent is better prepared than 1996 Atlanta with the many venues within a 90 mile radius (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Columbia, Greenville) of the city of Charlotte.
Agree and that is probably the best way to do it if they desire. Though I wonder if they would call it the Charlotte Olympics or more accurately the "Carolina Olympics" or something like that.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Unless SC claims that all of Carowinds is within the state's borders--and it doesn't--then your "point" is null and void.
Actually, many South Carolinians do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And the point being made is that there are already existing venues within SC that could be used. No doubt facilities at USC in Columbia would be used, and Rock Hill's efforts at carving out a sports tourism niche has already resulted in facilities like the velodrome (endorsed by USA Cycling), plus it's currently in the process of developing one of only two Olympic trial-caliber Bicycle Motocross Supercross race facilities in the nation. So why in the world would Charlotte want to unnecessarily spend funds building a bunch of facilities that already exist in the region? That would be dumb.
Do you not think previous Olympic cities had venues that could have been used but weren't?

There could be usable venues in the region. Doesn't mean they're large enough or ready to handle something like the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes this is London.The Financial Center of the world not A banking center.Not Charlotte.
Where does Charlotte fall
Based no.Not for sp
What the hello are you talking about? The NASCAR Museum is irrelevant. You will not know who will be in office within the next 11 years, do you? No. Point proven.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I would imagine the Olympics would result in a new stadium for the Panthers. Although by that time BofA Stadium will be almost 30 years old anyway and depending on how many upgrades it gets a new one may not be a bad idea by then.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
I just feel that spreading the Games into two different states, regardless of their connection, proximity will make everything 10x harder in the end.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Actually, many South Carolinians do.
Lies. I'm a born and bred South Carolinian, grew up going to Carowinds ALL the time, and we're all well aware that the park straddles the state line. No one has ever said the entire park lies in SC. Hell, it has a Charlotte address. So sorry, I'm calling BS on this one.

Quote:
Do you not think previous Olympic cities had venues that could have been used but weren't?
Only in the case that they were duplicitous. Otherwise, no; that would be stupid, and it would be even more stupid to build another facility when a perfectly suitable one already exists.

Quote:
There could be usable venues in the region. Doesn't mean they're large enough or ready to handle something like the Olympics.
The facilities in Rock Hill are actually modeled after Olympic venues and are suited for Olympic trials.
"The [Giordana Velodrome]’s geometry is similar to what is used for international events such as the Olympics. Its maximum capacity is 24 riders.

USA Cycling officials are hoping the event has an Olympic flavor."

ROCK HILL: Racing at Rock Hill’s Giordana Velodrome has NASCAR feel | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online

"The city’s plans are moving forward to transform an open space of dirt at Rock Hill’s Riverwalk into one of only two Olympic trial-caliber Bicycle Motocross Supercross race facilities in the nation."

ROCK HILL: Rock Hill has big plans for BMX Supercross track | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online
It would be quite foolish for Charlotte/NC to reinvent the wheel and build such facilities only for the Olympics when existing, Olympic-worthy venues already exist within the metro area. You really put entirely too much stock on that state line. Thankfully, the powers-that-be in Charlotte aren't nearly as provincial and realize that whatever assets the SC side of the metro has, the entire region has.

And university facilities, such as those at USC, are always used in the Olympics; they are pretty much considered default Olympic venues. I mean Williams-Brice (USC) and Memorial Stadium (Clemson) are bigger than BOA Stadium with greater seating capacities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte