Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

okay--I understand the setting better now. TY guys for explaining the context.

I am still kind of horrified at folks getting this wacka doodle and going psycho with furniture aimed like torpedoes. I am just glad no one ended up seriously injured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
yeah right... it's too expensive to sit there for 4 hours and NOT see a wreck. This is an opinion that is drenched in fact. Sorry but it's true.
True in your mind maybe, but not overall. That's a myth perpetrated by people who don't understand racing and think all NASCAR fans are idiot rednecks.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM

359 posts, read 591,491 times
This is too hilarious

Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
True in your mind maybe, but not overall. That's a myth perpetrated by people who don't understand racing and think all NASCAR fans are idiot rednecks.
What? You said that not me...

Watch any race and the announcers get excited when there is a wreck and they show it over and over. Its no different than football fans IMO. No one wants to see a player get hurt but we love watching hard hits.

I work with a few Nascar fans... thr first thing they said on Monday was "did you see that wreck?" and then they replayed it over and over for people to see. If peole didnt look forward to the wrecks why are they shown in all the highlights on racing channels and recaps?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
NODA is for sure a place where people such as myself dont want to visit....Its a trashy part of town.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
yeah right... it's too expensive to sit there for 4 hours and NOT see a wreck. This is an opinion that is drenched in fact. Sorry but it's true.
Quote:
What? You said that not me...

Watch any race and the announcers get excited when there is a wreck and they show it over and over. Its no different than football fans IMO. No one wants to see a player get hurt but we love watching hard hits.

I work with a few Nascar fans... thr first thing they said on Monday was "did you see that wreck?" and then they replayed it over and over for people to see. If peole didnt look forward to the wrecks why are they shown in all the highlights on racing channels and recaps?
You said:

"people claim to go to Nascar for the race but most really go to see the wrecks."

which implies the the ONLY reason people watch races is for the wrecks. That's the same as suggesting people don't care about scores and great plays while watching football; they ONLY want to see the hard hits. It's simply not true. Many of us talk about the great passes and other track action before we discuss the wrecks.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I don't think we are all that insensitive to violence if it is a surprise or out of place.

I think the general public's expectations for this crowd is so low, that a fight is not surprising, and more funny than scary.

For all the folks that say, "Haven't you ever..."

No, no, and no. Never. Ever.

OBTW: the video Sunny posted is a million times more disturbing than the fight. I couldn't figure out if was re-enacting an old Tarzan movie from my youth, or a scene out of Star Trek from the outer reaches of the universe.

Dayum, and to think I sometimes think I have issues!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Wrecks are accidents, they don't try to have them. On the other hand, these people made the choice to behave as they did.

There is no equivalency between the two situations.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You said:

"people claim to go to Nascar for the race but most really go to see the wrecks."

which implies the the ONLY reason people watch races is for the wrecks. That's the same as suggesting people don't care about scores and great plays while watching football; they ONLY want to see the hard hits. It's simply not true. Many of us talk about the great passes and other track action before we discuss the wrecks.
What I said is clear... there was no ONLY... no redneck, no slandering of the fans.

As I type this the speed channel is showing a commercial for a race in Phoenix and its a bunch of wrecks and driver and pit crews fighting. You can claim its all about the passing but I believe otherwise and most promos are showing contact.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Ha.

LiveLeak has made this a featured video for today.

LiveLeak.com - Fat woman takes on mob of chair throwers

Already close to 800 comments from a global audience. Some of them are quite funny.

(you shouldn't go there if you are easily offended)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte