Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Foxx is the topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know about moving the goal posts-- seems more often it has been a matter of lowering expectations and standards than raising the requirements when it comes to who gets a politically appointed job.

i definitely don't think folks are labeled "elitists" simply b/c they are intelligent and have impressive degrees.
Did anyone call Condi Rice an "elitist?" I don't think so.
Lower expectations? Again, we have selective memory with history, if anything political appointee credentials have improved given the high level of scrutiny and readily available information. 30-40 years ago, many "unqualified" people obtain positions and moved up the ranks without a hint of opposition and by the time most people found out, the deal was done. The instantenous information age has transformed the way elected officials go about the ole boy network methodology....it's a bit refined, but still very prevelant.

Some "folks" are labeled elists because of their intellect and educational background. Providing examples of others who have been "accepted" as intellects doesn't eliminate that fact.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lower expectations? Again, we have selective memory with history, if anything political appointee credentials have improved given the high level of scrutiny and readily available information. 30-40 years ago, many "unqualified" people obtain positions and moved up the ranks without a hint of opposition and by the time most people found out, the deal was done. The instantenous information age has transformed the way elected officials go about the ole boy network methodology....it's a bit refined, but still very prevelant.

Some "folks" are labeled elists because of their intellect and educational background. Providing examples of others who have been "accepted" as intellects doesn't eliminate that fact.
No, I don't have selective memory.

The advise and consent process has been MUCH diminished in the last 60 years.

Silly things like Nannygate helped guarantee that unimportant issues (as far as someone's competency, experience and accomplishments) can derail an excellent candidate for an appointment, when the side issue was of so little importance to the scope of work that it should never have been more than a blip on anyone's radar screen.

I think folks who use labels like "elitist" are too lazy to articulate what their real objections are, lol.

My objection to Foxx getting this appointment is - he hasn't done a thing to earn it other than get himself elected as Mayor in the city that hosted the DNC - and supposedly, helped "bring in" the vote for Obama.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:

Silly things like Nannygate helped guarantee that unimportant issues (as far as someone's competency, experience and accomplishments) can derail an excellent candidate for an appointment, when the side issue was of so little importance to the scope of work that it should never have been more than a blip on anyone's radar screen.

I think folks who use labels like "elitist" are too lazy to articulate what their real objections are, lol.

My objection to Foxx getting this appointment is - he hasn't done a thing to earn it other than get himself elected as Mayor in the city that hosted the DNC - and supposedly, helped "bring in" the vote for Obama.
supposedly?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
supposedly?
Yes, supposedly. You want to quantify that he was directly responsible for Obama's turnout in this city?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM

235 posts, read 306,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Hell, I would prefer Redd Foxx to the Mayor!!!

Obama can have Anthony. As a successful small business owner and entrepreneur, Redd would make a much better Mayor.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Diminished in 60 years? I'm not buying that one at all, it's just a different generation. Assessing someone's level of qualification hasn't changed a bit, people hire who they like....historically, the cronyism was much worse back then....a lot things were much worse back then.

Please share with me what qualified Ronald Reagan or Arnold Schwarzenegger to be governors of California? media darlings? actors?

Based on this comparison, I think Fox might be overqualified for the position.
+

Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
Obama can have Anthony. As a successful small business owner and entrepreneur, Redd would make a much better Mayor.

So the mayor controls whether you are a successful business man or entrepreneur? Not really.....whether Redd Foxx, Reagon, Clinton or the Pope as mayor....it's about hard work, a solid network and some good luck....or some relative or friend with deep pockets to help weather the storm.

Anthony will make a fine Secretary of Transportation......bring on the next democratic mayor, we're ready for some change.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Diminished in 60 years? I'm not buying that one at all, it's just a different generation. Assessing someone's level of qualification hasn't changed a bit, people hire who they like....historically, the cronyism was much worse back then....a lot things were much worse back then.

Please share with me what qualified Ronald Reagan or Arnold Schwarzenegger to be governors of California? media darlings? actors?

Based on this comparison, I think Fox might be overqualified for the position.
+
I very much disliked Reagan. I saw a speech that he gave on the WRC news & was aghast. The tape never saw the light of day after that airing & was confiscated. I had been neutral up to that point. That said, Reagan's qualifications for governor were touted as union negotiations.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, supposedly. You want to quantify that he was directly responsible for Obama's turnout in this city?
Now, that's not possible but he played a major role in bringiing the DNC to Charlotte. I'm sure it's duly highlighted on his CV/resume....estimated attendance and the much debated economical impact of 150+ million to the city. McCrory can't claim that. Howevever, McCrory did build LRT and an arena the people voted against....he still became the governor. If he become governor with that lame record, Foxy is a shoe-in for Secretary of _____ (fill in the blank)....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte