Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 37,434 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Charlotte area. We looking at Matthews, Providence, Weddington and Marvin.

I'm a little hesitant to ask this question as these are two sensitive issues. However, I'm hoping to get some genuine feedback from people who live in these areas without causing a debate.

We are a mixed-race family, Asian/Caucasian and have a grade school age child. Neither of us are religious. Specifically, we are not for or against religion and are not atheist. We just don't have religion as part of our lives.

I'm wondering how well suited the areas I listed above are for us. Where we live now there is a great deal of religious diversity and we fit in well in this way. However, there are very few Asians in my child's school and he has been refereed to has 'the Asian boy'. I'm not at all insulted by this but I want him to go to a school where he blends in better.

Regarding religion, will my child, who currently has no religion, fit in or will most of his classmates be attending church and church activities leaving him needing to participate in religious activities or be left out? Do people in these communities frequently make religious references?

Regarding race, are these areas diverse enough that our mixed-race family will not stand out?

Thank you for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,833,507 times
I can only speak about Weddington and Providence. Your son will not stand out at Providence for sure. At Weddington there were less but he still wouldn't stand out. As for religion, in those areas, it won't be an issue. And I know you aren't religious but there are two churches near arboretum that have a huge Asian congregation if you are looking to connect perhaps in their outside activities such as sports etc for your son.

In short, you would do fine here and be very well accepted.. I

Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,934,068 times
You are moving into the Bible Belt. You are going to hear religious references in everyday conversation.

I lived in Waxhaw for 6 years (that area used to be part of Weddington) and really liked it except I felt it necessary to keep my lack of religion to myself in order to not be given the cold shoulder. It took a while to identify who was who in regards to their attitudes, but I guess that's normal in any new situation.

I never once heard anyone say anything about people of other races, negative or positive. It didn't seem to make a difference.

I hope someone comments on the school situation for you; I have no experience there! O, and good luck!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,295,337 times
We're not religious and have never had an issue. Tolerance works both ways. Yes, most people do go to church, however I have never felt any animosity from anyone for not being religious. Charlotte is a big city, so there are people of all kinds. There are other asians as well - probably more so in Mecklenburg County. I know of several mixed race asian-caucasian couples due to my involvement in the Waddell language immersion magnet school (they have programs in Chinese and Japanese).

Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo222 View Post
We are considering a move to the Charlotte area. We looking at Matthews, Providence, Weddington and Marvin.

I'm a little hesitant to ask this question as these are two sensitive issues. However, I'm hoping to get some genuine feedback from people who live in these areas without causing a debate.

We are a mixed-race family, Asian/Caucasian and have a grade school age child. Neither of us are religious. Specifically, we are not for or against religion and are not atheist. We just don't have religion as part of our lives.

I'm wondering how well suited the areas I listed above are for us. Where we live now there is a great deal of religious diversity and we fit in well in this way. However, there are very few Asians in my child's school and he has been refereed to has 'the Asian boy'. I'm not at all insulted by this but I want him to go to a school where he blends in better.

Regarding religion, will my child, who currently has no religion, fit in or will most of his classmates be attending church and church activities leaving him needing to participate in religious activities or be left out? Do people in these communities frequently make religious references?

Regarding race, are these areas diverse enough that our mixed-race family will not stand out?

Thank you for your comments!

You should be fine in all those areas. Not to be picky and I understand the popular vernacular, but isn't Asian part of Caucasian?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,371,012 times
You won't have an issue and you won't stand out. But just to clarfiy, Matthews, Weddington and Marvin are towns. They are south of Charlotte but not "South Charlotte". Providence is a high school, a very long road and the name of a lot of things in the city. What specifically are you referring to?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,172,383 times
You might also want to include Ballantyne (Ardrey Kell) which also has race variety and acceptability will not be an issue. I don't think you'll have any problem in any of the mentioned areas.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You should be fine in all those areas. Not to be picky and I understand the popular vernacular, but isn't Asian part of Caucasian?

How much ham is in a Hamburger?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM

GCharlotte - Very cute

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
You won't have an issue and you won't stand out. But just to clarfiy, Matthews, Weddington and Marvin are towns. They are south of Charlotte but not "South Charlotte". Providence is a high school, a very long road and the name of a lot of things in the city. What specifically are you referring to?

chuckles34,

Thanks for that clarification. I assume you are right but I'm looking Bing maps and Providence looks like a town on the map. I did realize that the other were outside of Charlotte - thanks.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte