Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you end up in the southern end of Mecklenburg your closest church would be St. Mattew's, which also has the newest Catholic school next door. It is a huge parish (largest in the state last time I checked), but very active and involved in the community. This is also a young parish; many, many young families. Closer into Charlotte's inner core there are four other parishes and St. Peter's is right downtown on S. Tryon. It is the oldest Catholic Church in the city and worth seeing anytime you are downtown and want to stop in, they are always open with noon mass every day (unless they have changed their schedule). St. Gabriel's is my parish on Providence Road. We are the only church in the city/county to have 24 hour Eucharistic Adoration 365 days a year. We are the second largest parish and have a mix of people, including more of a senior citizen population. There is a mass in Spanish every Sunday afternoon. Our priest is one of the most humble, wonderful, down to earth priests I have ever met. Too bad for us he is retiring next summer Let me know if you want any other specifics. Interestingly, we also have a Vietnamese Catholic Church in southwest Charlotte, St. Joseph.

Excuse any typo's it's late on Saturday night and I am exhausted from watching Auburn beat Florida earlier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times
Default churches

Thanks. This was very helpful. It appears St. Matthew's will be mine! I am glad to know it is a good parish. Do you know anythign abotu the school? IS St. Patrick's good as well for school? I can't believe it is 30 mins. away from me to go to church. I am use to catholic churches being on every corner up here in Philly. It's so werid that i when you get off at Weddington exit you drive by 8 churches and none are catholic!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:33 PM

172 posts, read 584,629 times
Same for us. We were looking for an Episcopal Chuch in Union County. Very few and far between. Looks like we will be going into Charlotte.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
Same for us. We were looking for an Episcopal Chuch in Union County. Very few and far between. Looks like we will be going into Charlotte.
I could be wrong, but I think a new Episcopal church was just built on Rea Road in Union county down where it is almost deadending at Providence Rd??? If I can come up with a name and exact address, I'll let you know

Old 11-29-2006, 07:48 AM

94 posts, read 345,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Thanks. This was very helpful. It appears St. Matthew's will be mine! I am glad to know it is a good parish. Do you know anythign abotu the school? IS St. Patrick's good as well for school? I can't believe it is 30 mins. away from me to go to church. I am use to catholic churches being on every corner up here in Philly. It's so werid that i when you get off at Weddington exit you drive by 8 churches and none are catholic!

Between the Hispanic immigrants, the transplants and the converts, growth in the Catholic Church is exploding in NC. We're in the process of building a bigger church in my city.

Last edited by fern33; 11-29-2006 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-29-2006, 09:17 AM

172 posts, read 584,629 times
lovesmountains, Yes that is St. Margarets Episcopal Church. I attended it while I was there. Still quite a ride from Monroe. I guess I am spoiled by having my church so close. There is also an Episcpal Church in Monroe but it appears to have a non-traditional schedule. I did see a few Catholic churches in Union County, but can't remember their locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte