Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times

Advertisements

OP, what part of 77 were you on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM

111 posts, read 323,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFingerBoogie View Post
I have read countless posts on here about how traffic in Charlotte is "horrendous" or "horrible". The way all of you were describing it, I was expecting bumper to bumper.

I finally got to check out the traffic this week during rush hour time around 8-8:30. I was on 77. It's fast moving traffic that opens up in a few minutes.

Don't let the negative traffic posts on here fool you. Charlotte traffic is a non-factor.

Thank you.

Are you sure you were actually in Charlotte on 77?

But really, Charlotte may not be in the top 10 most congested cities, but it is definitely up there. Try telling that to the people that sit the 485 in south Charlotte or on 85 past University City Blvd. Or 77 near the lake. And I am assuming your comment about traffic here being a "non factor"

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-14-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Once you get to sit in traffic for 30-45 mins -- and I do mean SIT -- let's see how "this ain't nuthin'" your attitude is then, lol.

Now for me, overall, Charlotte traffic is great -- I rarely have a problem.

But I must add . . . that's b/c I work f/ home, lol. So I am rarely out and about to experience how bad it can get. When I do have to deal with it, and I sit on 485, literally, for 30 or more minutes . . . I am reminded how awful it must be to deal w/ that sort of tangled up mess DAILY.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Once you get to sit in traffic for 30-45 mins -- and I do mean SIT -- let's see how "this ain't nuthin'" your attitude is then, lol.

Now for me, overall, Charlotte traffic is great -- I rarely have a problem.

But I must add . . . that's b/c I work f/ home, lol. So I am rarely out and about to experience how bad it can get. When I do have to deal with it, and I sit on 485, literally, for 30 or more minutes . . . I am reminded how awful it must be to deal w/ that sort of tangled up mess DAILY.

I think that's the OP's point. What is considered "sitting in traffic" every now and then is what most people do everyday in DC/NOVA, LA, ATL, etc...

Independence tho.... that road is horrible and it's primarily due to those stupid traffic lights.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think that's the OP's point. What is considered "sitting in traffic" every now and then is what most people do everyday in DC/NOVA, LA, ATL, etc...

Independence tho.... that road is horrible and it's primarily due to those stupid traffic lights.
Not like it gets any better once you get to the expressway. Stop and go for the whole way because people don't merge properly.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:

Independence is awful - agree.

I understood what the OP meant. And his point of view. And having driven in every major city here in the USA and a lot of them in Europe, as well, there is no excuse for the traffic going to complete standstills here in Charlotte. For one thing, we are not a metropolis of the size of those other cities. THe problems are not because of CAR COUNT on the highways daily . . . the problem is one of engineering . . . we do not have the amount of lanes to accommodate merges and still keep traffic moving at various spots.

One can understand the issues when millions of cars are on the roads at commuting hours. But we are not dealing with millions of folks ingressing/egressing the metro. We are dealing with thousands, and poor planning/design are problems that could be fixed, if properly addressed.

In almost all situations of traffic coming to standstills here, the reason is based on the region growing too rapidly -- and the infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the growth.

Before someone points out the COST, I am sure we are all aware of how expensive it is to add lanes . . . but it does basically come down to that issue -- not car count -- which IS the main issue in other metro areas.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:

It is ABSOLUTELY nothing like DC traffic. For instance, if I am traveling I-395/I-95 south from downtown DC on a Friday or any weekday for that matter, my goal is to be out of the area (Fredricksburg) or 40 miles south of downtown by 3pm. After 2-3pm...it's a huge gamble and could easly get stuck into 1-2 hour of stop and go traffic to travel 10 miles.

And really, the congestion on I-77 is due to awful planning and if the road had already been expanded to 8 lanes (like other midsize and large metros), there would be little to no congestion right now.

Traffic volume is heavy in some areas like Independence Blvd, I-485 south areas, I-85 (construction/Concord Mills) etc but does't require designing or planning your entire itinerary around. I left downtown on Friday at 4:30pm on Friday and traveled to Wilmington a few weeks ago. Traffic volume on Independence was heavy, lots of lights but never extreme stop-and-go cases. My traffic philosophy or toleration level is constant movement, even at a slow pace....I loathe DC traffic albeit a great city.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 14,321 times
Are we really complaining that there isn't enough traffic in Charlotte!? HAHA You people are too funny!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM

310 posts, read 672,569 times
The main problem I've encountered in and around Charlotte as far as traffic is concerned is having to stop literally every block on my way out of/in town. For the life of me, I do not understand why NCDOT or local authorities cannot implement a light system that turns the next light a block away from it green within 5-10 seconds of the one behind it turning green. This would solve a great deal of our congestion and stop and go traffic.

Then again, I'm sure the state with it's ludicrous gasoline tax (compared to surrounding states) is in no hurry to put an end to stop and go traffic and the associated dreadful fuel efficiency that comes along with it. Not a conspiracy theory so much as an eye rolling sarcastic observation lol

Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,805 times
Traffic has gotten much worse in the past 16 years since we moved to Charlotte from Fredericksburg, VA. We commuted to the Fort Belvoir area, it was horrible then, it's worse now (I was born and raised in NOVA). I hate visiting relatives and friends there, you can't even expect to get around on the weekends. I would rather sit in traffic here than there any day. We originally wanted to live up by the lake, but decided to be closer to WT Harris (husband's job), it was (and still is) worth the extra in taxes, we knew only to well how traffic was bound to be with 485 and how fast this area was growing at the time.

This time of year traffic is lighter than during fall, winter and spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte