Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaheartwings View Post
Thank you so much. I was looking around at a website and it said it might take between August and September before it can come back on. Should I wait until then to rescan my tv?
I rescan repeatedly, sometimes several times a day. It's definitely annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 11:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I rescanned a few days ago and now get ABC. I saw on a commercial that a few other channels will be changing and I will need to rescan on Sept. 6 for other channels though.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:47 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Ha! Ha! Ha! I see that WSOC is making comments via the local FOX station now about reprogramming our TVs on September 6th. I have it in my phone's calendar to make sure I dont forget it.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Ha! Ha! Ha! I see that WSOC is making comments via the local FOX station now about reprogramming our TVs on September 6th. I have it in my phone's calendar to make sure I dont forget it.
I've now seen the notices on WSOC, on the Crowders Mountain transponder. I lost the main signal about half of the time for the last month. I finally saw it on UNCTV, I forget which one, but probably the Asheville station, based on which way the wind has been blowing lately. WJZY has started running the September 6th notices, too. This is going to be a circus.

The funny part is that the notices usually run as a crawl. If people use the TV for noise, they may or may not notice them. I'm betting that a lot of people in western Cleveland County and eastern Rutherford County who rely on the Crowders Mountain transponder to get WSOC are going to wake up on September 6th and find WYFF where WSOC was. Oops!!!

Old 08-08-2019, 08:36 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've now seen the notices on WSOC, on the Crowders Mountain transponder. I lost the main signal about half of the time for the last month. I finally saw it on UNCTV, I forget which one, but probably the Asheville station, based on which way the wind has been blowing lately. WJZY has started running the September 6th notices, too. This is going to be a circus.

The funny part is that the notices usually run as a crawl. If people use the TV for noise, they may or may not notice them. I'm betting that a lot of people in western Cleveland County and eastern Rutherford County who rely on the Crowders Mountain transponder to get WSOC are going to wake up on September 6th and find WYFF where WSOC was. Oops!!!
Yes on Sept. 6th WYFF-4 from Greenville SC will take over the Crowder's Mtn. channel from WSOC. Sometime later the WSOC translator will move to channel 12. This may be problematic for some folks because digital VHF may be harder to receive than the current UHF channel 30. It will require at minimum a basic set of rabbit ears, but could perhaps require a larger traditional style antenna with the long elements. But that remains to be seen. I currently watch WSOC from the Crowder's translator in Spartanburg County. I will miss that UHF signal, but will try to receive the VHF channel 12, but I will have to install a larger VHF antenna in the attic. But the hope is the new main signal from Charlotte will be stronger and improved. It is also problematic to receive ABC on 13-WLOS from Asheville, also VHF.

While this may sound complicated for some folks, it is not really. Just remember to rescan on Sept. 6th for the major channels. Only a few translator signals may prove problematic.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:38 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I rescanned a few days ago and now get ABC. I saw on a commercial that a few other channels will be changing and I will need to rescan on Sept. 6 for other channels though.
You will need to rescan after 3am on Sept. 6th. That is the date and time most major channels will be changing, as mandated and regulated by the FCC. Hopefully there will be improvements. Only WBTV-3 is not changing.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes on Sept. 6th WYFF-4 from Greenville SC will take over the Crowder's Mtn. channel from WSOC. Sometime later the WSOC translator will move to channel 12. This may be problematic for some folks because digital VHF may be harder to receive than the current UHF channel 30. It will require at minimum a basic set of rabbit ears, but could perhaps require a larger traditional style antenna with the long elements. But that remains to be seen. I currently watch WSOC from the Crowder's translator in Spartanburg County. I will miss that UHF signal, but will try to receive the VHF channel 12, but I will have to install a larger VHF antenna in the attic. But the hope is the new main signal from Charlotte will be stronger and improved. It is also problematic to receive ABC on 13-WLOS from Asheville, also VHF.

While this may sound complicated for some folks, it is not really. Just remember to rescan on Sept. 6th for the major channels. Only a few translator signals may prove problematic.
I anticipate no problem receiving the new Crowders Mountain transponder signal. I'm only about 4 miles from it, and this antenna picked up WLOS in Asheville before the changeover to digital. It can certainly pick up a signal 4 miles or less away, as the crow flies. I only use it now when weather conditions interfere with the main signal. However, it seems that the transponder is serving western Cleveland County as well as eastern Rutherford County, and Cherokee County in SC. If the WLOS signal isn't reliably serving Greenville & Spartanburg cities, it's not serving Cherokee County.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
It’s not WSOC.

The whole southeast region is changing to new frequencies on September 6th, so you will have to rescan. Every station in the Charlotte market except for WBTV is moving.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Just out of curiosity, is WTVI, which is now on a VHF channel, perhaps moving to a UHF frequency? I ask, because that is one of the few stations that my "el cheapo" Clearstream 1V doesn't receive with quite the same clarity and reliability that the majority of the UHF stations have. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Just out of curiosity, is WTVI, which is now on a VHF channel, perhaps moving to a UHF frequency? I ask, because that is one of the few stations that my "el cheapo" Clearstream 1V doesn't receive with quite the same clarity and reliability that the majority of the UHF stations have. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!
Does your antenna have an amplifier, Emissary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte