Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 18,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Both 9.1 and 9.2 transmit on the same RF frequency channel 34. So if you get 9.2, you should also get 9.1 in theory. Perhaps there is some software glitch in your TiVo tuner. The TiVo gets its channel data from the internet rather than PSIP from the station's signal. It then trys to map the scanned channels into the internet database of channel listings. But if multipath or overload is the problem, then perhaps a smaller antenna would work better. Possibly a DB4e or a Clearstream 2. You can get a CS2 at Walmart or Best Buy and try it out to see if it improves your reception. Easy to return. Also a cheap Stellar Labs 4-bay from MCM online. And sometimes an amp can help, or other times make it worse. Especially if your signal is already strong you should not need an amp, but you never know. Sometimes they stabilize signals and prevent dropouts. But there is a cheap RCA inline amp at Walmart for $15 if you want to give that a try. Again, easy to return.
I can try the CS2 but I did not want to loose the one VHF channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM

279 posts, read 447,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajoe View Post
Do I want the high or low gain spot?
Hi gain. You want the high gain beams pointed at the station transmitters. Look for a polar plot of the 4228HD and it will become obvious.

The Charlotte area is difficult because the major stations are split between two antenna farms which makes aiming difficult. It can be done, but if you want to receive all of them, and be impervious to weather conditions, it takes a bit of work to get right.

It's not necessarily signal strength that you are looking for BTW. It's signal quality. I don't know if your receiver has a SQ meter but if it does, this is what you should be focused on. You can have 100% signal strength, but if the SQ is bad you will will see a lot of drops.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajoe View Post
I can try the CS2 but I did not want to loose the one VHF channel.
The CS2-V version now sold at Walmart and Best Buy adds the VHF dipole which should allow you to receive WTVI on RF11. Along with the double loops for UHF which should receive all other signals. Very good antenna.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM

279 posts, read 447,630 times
Quote:
The CS2-V version now sold at Walmart and Best Buy adds the VHF dipole which should allow you to receive WTVI on RF11. Along with the double loops for UHF which should receive all other signals. Very good antenna.
IMO, a CS2 mounted in the attic is going to be problematic with the stations in Dallas. Most troublesome will be WCNC (NBC 36) but might also include WJZY (46 Fox), WMYT (55, MyTV), and possibly even WBTV (3 CBS). For an attic mounted antenna in Weddington, I would not recommend it.

It might work outside, but it's going to be at the very edge of what that antenna can handle.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
IMO, a CS2 mounted in the attic is going to be problematic with the stations in Dallas. Most troublesome will be WCNC (NBC 36) but might also include WJZY (46 Fox), WMYT (55, MyTV), and possibly even WBTV (3 CBS). For an attic mounted antenna in Weddington, I would not recommend it.

It might work outside, but it's going to be at the very edge of what that antenna can handle.
Indeed a stronger antenna may be more ideal. But, I can receive the Dallas signals from 75 miles with a CS2 in Greenville, SC. With an amp in the attic. Which is why I said a very good antenna, and still worth a try. Can always return to Walmart.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
I live in Dallas nc and have the same issue . I do noT get wsoc at all. I have tried numerous indoor and outdoor antennas

Old 12-06-2015, 11:34 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherbyrd View Post
I live in Dallas nc and have the same issue . I do noT get wsoc at all. I have tried numerous indoor and outdoor antennas
Have you tried picking up the 9.5 signal from Crowders Mountain?

Old 12-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherbyrd View Post
In Dallas, NC you are right under the main tall towers of WBTV, WCNC, WJZY, and WMYT. Plus several full power FM radio stations. So these extremely strong signals could be overloading the tuner and drowning out the weaker TV stations from Mecklenburg County such as WSOC. Have you tried an outside UHF antenna pointed towards the Charlotte towers?

Also, WSOC has a translator signal 9.5 which broadcasts on RF30. Be sure you have a good UHF antenna and point towards Crowder's Mtn. Rescan your tuner. You should be able to get that signal.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you tried picking up the 9.5 signal from Crowders Mountain?
This is probably the best idea and you should be able to get 9.5 from Crowder's Mtn. in Dallas. A good antenna is the Clearstream 4V sold at Best Buy and the Clearstream 2V sold at Walmart.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
In Dallas, NC you are right under the main tall towers of WBTV, WCNC, WJZY, and WMYT. Plus several full power FM radio stations. So these extremely strong signals could be overloading the tuner and drowning out the weaker TV stations from Mecklenburg County such as WSOC. Have you tried an outside UHF antenna pointed towards the Charlotte towers?

Also, WSOC has a translator signal 9.5 which broadcasts on RF30. Be sure you have a good UHF antenna and point towards Crowder's Mtn. Rescan your tuner. You should be able to get that signal.
I was also thinking that the nearby towers could be drowning out WSOC. I was thinking that, even if he has an indoor antenna right now it would be worth a try to point that towards Crowders Mountain. It's not far, as the crow flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte