Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 05:54 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times

Advertisements

The Antop antenna design replaces a larger antenna in a smaller package. I have received stations reliably at 75 miles. But if you are in a fringe area, larger outdoor style antennas may still be necessary. Such as a UHF yagi or 8bay antenna. Or a dedicaed High VHF antenna or UHF/VHF combo antenna. The Newark warehouse in Gaffney,SC near I-85 sells the Stellar Labs brand of these traditional style antennas similar to Winegard and Channel Master. Much lower prices. Order online for shipping, or you can call them for pick up at the Gaffney warehouse.

But the Winegard 7694 antenna for UHF and High VHF is sold for about $60 on Amazon and is a good antenna. The larger 7698 for the fringes is more expensive.

Other good antennas are the Clearstream 2MAX and Clearstream 4MAX by Antennas Direct. They are sold at Walmart and Best Buy. High gain UHF loops and a VHF dipole.

But I still say Antop is the new compact and efficient solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,835 times
UPDATE: Well it isn't September 6th yet, but I DO have WSOC on ONE of my TVs in the Kings Mtn area now! Oddly, it is the older Emerson LED flat screen I bought off of Craigslist 3 yrs ago. My new fancy-dancy TV PLUS MOHU OTA antenna....not yet. I'm still hopeful that come Sept 6th I might get it on that one, too.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
UPDATE: Well it isn't September 6th yet, but I DO have WSOC on ONE of my TVs in the Kings Mtn area now! Oddly, it is the older Emerson LED flat screen I bought off of Craigslist 3 yrs ago. My new fancy-dancy TV PLUS MOHU OTA antenna....not yet. I'm still hopeful that come Sept 6th I might get it on that one, too.
WSOC has been coming and going for a couple of months, now. As I have said, I normally get the main signal, but recently it's mostly been absent, so I have mostly relied on the Crowders Mountain transponder. Up until last year I usually got over 50 channels. Recently I've had as few as 13.

I used to supplement UNCTV with the SCETV station in Spartanburg, but last year that was consolidated with the Greenville SCETV station. Unlike the commercial Greenville stations, I don't get it. I'm hoping that the Rock Hill SCETV station will now be serving Blacksburg, SC, because then I might get that station too.

Do you get WCNC?

Old 08-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
You may be getting the Crowder's Mountain translator signal for WSOC instead of the main signal from Charlotte which is currently on the reduced AUX antenna. Main WSOC is 9.1 and the booster is 9.9. But no matter what you are getting now, you will still have to rescan on Sept. 6 as all the WSOC/WAXN signals will be changing.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You may be getting the Crowder's Mountain translator signal for WSOC instead of the main signal from Charlotte which is currently on the reduced AUX antenna. Main WSOC is 9.1 and the booster is 9.9. But no matter what you are getting now, you will still have to rescan on Sept. 6 as all the WSOC/WAXN signals will be changing.
They haven't been broadcasting WAXN on the Crowders Mountain transponder for months.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They haven't been broadcasting WAXN on the Crowders Mountain transponder for months.
Yes I am aware. There was a technical problem with WAXN on the translator so they are waiting on the new signal before they repair it. Don't know when they will change the Crowder's translator but it may be after Sept. 6.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Yes I am aware. There was a technical problem with WAXN on the translator so they are waiting on the new signal before they repair it. Don't know when they will change the Crowder's translator but it may be after Sept. 6.

Well, I normally get the main signal, so if it takes a while for the translator, that's OK with me. It might not make people in more far-flung areas happy.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 PM

They have a new promo announcement from Erica Bryant on WSOC reminding viewers to rescan on Sept. 6th. She says it will be the most powerful signal ever for Channel 9, so hopefully it will help those of us viewers in the fringes, especially if the new translator is weaker.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
They have a new promo announcement from Erica Bryant on WSOC reminding viewers to rescan on Sept. 6th. She says it will be the most powerful signal ever for Channel 9, so hopefully it will help those of us viewers in the fringes, especially if the new translator is weaker.
You may have better luck with the main signal. I'm looking forward to September 6th. I'm hoping that I get as good a signal from 33 as I got from 62.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:22 PM

The wsoctv.com website has an updated picture of the new antenna being installed on top of the tower last Thursday. Probably begin testing in the next few days. Meanwhile I am watching the 11pm news on the translator as I type right now. So hopefully the main signal will be improved if I lose the new translator after Sept. 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte