Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:39 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
The responses/comments on here are very interesting.
To the OP: There are some things to do in Charlotte, but it is a bit cliquish and the entertainment/night life is not consistent - meaning the venues, etc... Hence, it can get boring from time to time. When I lived and worked there it took almost a year to find a social groove and I am not a boring person. (Perhaps I just accepted what was there). I have a couple of friends from Philadelphia who hated Charlotte for the 1st year and half. They wanted to move and would drive to Atlanta 2x a month. Eventually, they tried out Meet-up and found something of a social life and are happy. So just keep plugging away.

But to be honest, the social atmopshere in "larger" citities NY, Miiami, LA, Atlanta was easier to navigate for me and alot of fun!!
But there is a contingent of my friends/family who relocated from DC to Atlanta that think Atlanta is boring, which to me is way off base. Being happy is really an individual choice, Charlotte and surrounding area is plenty big enough to be content. A big city is just more of the same stuff and it too becomes mundane after some time.

Taking a year to find a social groove isn't out of the norm and depends on a lot variables: passions/interests, personality, demographics, etc. I do think some people need/desire the big city vibe to feel comfortable. Charlotte isn't a big city yet but has a lot of big city tendencies (professional sports, etc) and some of the hype will make people believe it is on the level of ATL, Miami, Dallas or Houston. No, but there are pros and cons of current Charlotte's size, essentially 1970s Atlanta...

But I gotta add this...and LA isn't cliquish? lol. I love me some DC but it too can be cliquish and loaded with tons of wannabe important people.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-24-2013 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
But there is a contingent of my friends/family who relocated from DC to Atlanta that think Atlanta is boring, which to me is way off base. Being happy is really an individual choice, Charlotte and surrounding area is plenty big enough to be content. A big city is just more of the same stuff and it too becomes mundane after some time.

Taking a year to find a social groove isn't out of the norm and depends on a lot variables: passions/interests, personality, demographics, etc. I do think some people need/desire the big city vibe to feel comfortable. Charlotte isn't a big city yet but has a lot of big city tendencies (professional sports, etc) and some of the hype will make people believe it is on the level of ATL, Miami, Dallas or Houston. No, but there are pros and cons of current Charlotte's size, essentially 1970s Atlanta...

But I gotta add this...and LA isn't cliquish? lol. I love me some DC but it too can be cliquish and loaded with tons of wannabe important people.
LA is cliquish..but it's share size and population allows for a diverse variety of cliques.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That's just that DC snobbishness talking; you know they think anything south of there is "country" and boring. I even had to check one of my DC friends about a similar statement he made and he had to amend his statement to say that Atlanta was "overrated" (as if DC isn't in some respects)--which is quite different from boring.

Quote:
I love DC too, but the uppity-ness and cliquishness of some of the folks there (many of them transplants) can be really irritating at times.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
LA is cliquish..but it's share size and population allows for a diverse variety of cliques.
So why all the fuss? Charlotte is mid-size southern metro, go to Atlanta, etc. if you desire something larger. People don't move to Atlanta and expect NYC or Chicago, at least I hope not. For it's size, Charlotte has a lot to offer in my opinion.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's just that DC snobbishness talking; you know they think anything south of there is "country" and boring. I even had to check one of my DC friends about a similar statement he made and he had to amend his statement to say that Atlanta was "overrated" (as if DC isn't in some respects)--which is quite different from boring.

I love DC too, but the uppity-ness and cliquishness of some of the folks there (many of them transplants) can be really irritating at times.
Lol, I guess overrated is a bit more tolerable than boring. Charlotte isn't a small town (e.g, Fayetteville), there's usually enough to keep one occupied if they chose to do so.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

352 posts, read 550,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It depends on the person; really it does. Think about it; the biggest complaint about Charlotte is "everyone is married and sticks to their own little cliques". Well, if that's the case, then most Charlotteans are not having trouble finding friends and love. Cities full of singles are places where people struggle at finding long-lasting relationships.
But there seems to be this trend where people meet elsewhere (possibly big cities like Chicago, NY, DC, Seattle - places they moved to for jobs, to establish their careers) and then settle to raise kids in places like Charlotte or Raleigh once they are married. When I was younger it was fun moving from city to city, an adventure. Now it seems like many people are doing this for jobs. On the extreme end of this: people in the special effects industry live this nomadic lifestyle where they work short contracts and then have to move to a different city for work. They have to "follow the work". Working on one project in LA for a year, then have to move to Seattle, then have to move to Vancouver for a year, then have to move to Berlin. It's fun at first, but really starts to be a drag. How does one establish roots if you are constantly moving? I've noticed that this is happening more and more to people even in other industries, ones that are supposed to be stable. What is our society going to be like when most of us are disconnected nomads who are constantly roving around the country for work. What about this whole - move to a big city and then to a city that's specialized in raising kids? What happens to your kids when they graduate college?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
But there seems to be this trend where people meet elsewhere (possibly big cities like Chicago, NY, DC, Seattle - places they moved to for jobs, to establish their careers) and then settle to raise kids in places like Charlotte or Raleigh once they are married. When I was younger it was fun moving from city to city, an adventure. Now it seems like many people are doing this for jobs. On the extreme end of this: people in the special effects industry live this nomadic lifestyle where they work short contracts and then have to move to a different city for work. They have to "follow the work". Working on one project in LA for a year, then have to move to Seattle, then have to move to Vancouver for a year, then have to move to Berlin. It's fun at first, but really starts to be a drag. How does one establish roots if you are constantly moving? I've noticed that this is happening more and more to people even in other industries, ones that are supposed to be stable. What is our society going to be like when most of us are disconnected nomads who are constantly roving around the country for work. What about this whole - move to a big city and then to a city that's specialized in raising kids? What happens to your kids when they graduate college?
When the kids graduate... they move.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Yes, try Asheville much better place for interesting people and things to do.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Yes, try Asheville much better place for interesting people and things to do.
You do realize the terms "interesting people" and "more things to do" is very subjective and relative. I visited Asheville once and have no desire to return...kind of small and not diverse, although I will go visit the Biltmore again.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 AM

194 posts, read 430,836 times
Quote:
You do realize the terms "interesting people" and "more things to do" is very subjective and relative. I visited Asheville once and have no desire to return...kind of small and not diverse, although I will go visit the Biltmore again.

I agree!! Once was enough for me! We did the brewery tour and I saw all I needed to see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte