Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 16,860 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 25-year-old male. I just moved to Charlotte a couple months ago. I am so frickin' bored to death. I've lived in several cities my whole life (mostly America, then Europe), but never have I had the hardest time meeting people. I have always, always been able to meet people my age and make friends everywhere I go in the U.S. For some reason, Charlotte, I cannot meet a single person like myself to be friends with. I have had easier times when I traveled to Nashville, TN or Lexington, KY, but Charlotte- Where's all the interesting 20-somethings?? I go to Uptown, NoDa, and downtown, but nothing.

I even tried going around the college areas or trying high-rated bars on Yelp, but no luck. People say the only way to "possibly" make friends is by going to church, but apparently churches here are all "family oriented." Elevation scares the hell out of me (it seems like a weird cult and too Christiany for my taste). It seems in the South that most people my age are already married and popping out babies. I am really feeling I made a huge mistake moving here, and now I feel trapped because my living arrangement and job. I'm trying to make plans to move either to western NC or to places like Raleigh soon. Help. This is pathetic. Just venting, don't mean to complain or offend anyone who likes it here.

Last edited by darlingrd; 08-19-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,187,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingrd View Post
Hi,

I'm a 25-year-old male. I just moved to Charlotte a couple months ago. I am so frickin' bored to death. I've lived in several cities my whole life (mostly America, then Europe), but never have I had the hardest time meeting people. I have always, always been able to meet people my age and make friends everywhere I go in the U.S. For some reason, Charlotte, I cannot meet a single person like myself to be friends with. I have had easier times when I traveled to Nashville, TN or Lexington, KY, but Charlotte- Where's all the interesting 20-somethings?? I go to Uptown, NoDa, and downtown, but nothing.

I even tried going around the college areas or trying high-rated bars on Yelp, but no luck. People say the only way to "possibly" make friends is by going to church, but apparently churches here are all "family oriented." Elevation scares the hell out of me (it seems like a weird cult and too Christiany for my taste). It seems in the South that most people my age are already married and popping out babies. I am really feeling I made a huge mistake moving here, and now I feel trapped because my living arrangement and job. I'm trying to make plans to move either to western NC or to places like Raleigh soon. Help. This is pathetic. Just venting, don't mean to complain or offend anyone who likes it here.
Do you socialize with anyone where you work? Go out after work for a beverage and some hanging out?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM

Unfortunately, I don't work with too many people for my career. The people I do are 50-year-olds who are married and have kids, and grandchildren. They're are too political for me to talk to anyway. I've been trying churches, and trying to stick around at churches, but not luck there either.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
No offense but you don't sound like a church person. I mean if Elevation bugs you...

What type of people are you trying to meet? Have you tried something like meetup.com? Find an interest and you'll find like minded people.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM

I guess I could do that. I just don't like the idea of meeting people through the internet. It seems strange and unnatural to me. It's bad enough I'm online here asking for advice. I've tried maintaining a positive attitude since I moved here to Charlotte, the past week or so, it's been getting to me. I would've expected that I would have tons of friends by now.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingrd View Post
I guess I could do that. I just don't like the idea of meeting people through the internet. It seems strange and unnatural to me.
Meetup groups are pretty good ways to meet people with common interests. What about trying to organize some group to go to a Panthers game, or some other sports event?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Meetup.com is a site to connect to real people in person. You pick an interest like photography, cooking, whatever and then you meet up with a group of people for a related activity. It's a no commitment way to meet real people in real life.

It's not a dating or romantic site. It's a site to connect and meet people. Check it out.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,243,637 times
What happens when you go to these places? Will no one speak to you?

I go to several cruise-ins and car shows a month, because that is one of my interests. I meet people all the time. What are your interests?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM

I like to do a lot of camping and hiking. I have always met people at bars or coffee shops in the past. Maybe Charlotte works by interests, and that's what I got to figure out. I'll work something out. Thanks for the advice and letting me vent before,

Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 PM

Hiking groups

Camping groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte