Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 AM

162 posts, read 401,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
switch to direct TV. then in 1-2 years switch back to TWC. and vice versa. only way to do it
Sometimes Directv will flag you though as a previous customer and refuse to give you "new member" pricing. I had this happen to a co-worker of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM

162 posts, read 729,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
TWC and ATT will be out of business I suspect in the next 5-7 years. With Goggle Fiber now offering speed in many of the midwest cities it is only a matter of time before they conquer the south. There will be no way TWC can compete with them. Good Luck!
Don't hold your breath... the reason Google is able to offer their gigabit service is because they found some infrastructure to buy and run it on. However, the biggest hurdle they had to overcome wasn't the infrastructure, it was the local legislature that has given the local telco's legal monopoly on just about all broadband services. KC was chosen primarily because they didn't have this law (yes a law) on their books.

Essentially, when the telco's broke apart, they all got into a room and said who gets what parts of the country based on who already owns the infrastructure in those areas (Verizon in the northeast, TW/ATT in Southeast etc). They lobbied the state/local politicians to block competition, so someone can't come in and buy up infrastructure to compete (there is lots of dark fiber out there) Not that they would sell that stuff to a competitor anyway.

The point is, for real competition to happen, you will need more wires running to your house (no one is going to make the investment for last mile wire), or fast wireless like Google is capable of, IF they can get the old Ma Bell companies to sell them network infrastructure, AND beat the political lobby that allow this horsesh*t in the first place.

For being the country that invented the internet, we sure do get a crappy deal....

Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 AM

198 posts, read 290,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
I looked at all options (Just TW, TW internet plus Directv, TW internet plus Dish). The biggest hangup with Directv/Dish is that they give you a promo price for 12 months, but you're committed for 24 months. So you're locked in for the second year at no discount. And I've heard that Dish requires you to mail back the equipment to them after you cancel, at your own expense (this might not be true anymore, but I read it in several places).

I knowand not only mail back.. dig up the device.. and a friend did it once - and its not easy !

Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Smile Cable

If you guys need help with Time Warner and are about to leave or have problems with increases or even want to get installation at a very competitive price. It's not always what you know but who......
I can help

Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM

533 posts, read 936,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapsme View Post
Don't hold your breath... the reason Google is able to offer their gigabit service is because they found some infrastructure to buy and run it on. However, the biggest hurdle they had to overcome wasn't the infrastructure, it was the local legislature that has given the local telco's legal monopoly on just about all broadband services. KC was chosen primarily because they didn't have this law (yes a law) on their books.

Essentially, when the telco's broke apart, they all got into a room and said who gets what parts of the country based on who already owns the infrastructure in those areas (Verizon in the northeast, TW/ATT in Southeast etc). They lobbied the state/local politicians to block competition, so someone can't come in and buy up infrastructure to compete (there is lots of dark fiber out there) Not that they would sell that stuff to a competitor anyway.

The point is, for real competition to happen, you will need more wires running to your house (no one is going to make the investment for last mile wire), or fast wireless like Google is capable of, IF they can get the old Ma Bell companies to sell them network infrastructure, AND beat the political lobby that allow this horsesh*t in the first place.

For being the country that invented the internet, we sure do get a crappy deal....
X2

This guys is all over it

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM

286 posts, read 688,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi2012 View Post
Does this work ? the reason I ask is - we are changing residences.. and was wondering now is the best time to start something new..
If you change residence, cancel the current service and start a new one. Only thing, it will require you to get a new home phone number.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 96,502 times
Charlotteans are underwriting TW's construction of this lavish, 1,350 foot HQ in Midtown Manhattan, which is part of a multi-tower project. I'm angry about it. I wouldn't mind paying high fees if TW built it here though.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
Charlotteans are underwriting TW's construction of this lavish, 1,350 foot HQ in Midtown Manhattan, which is part of a multi-tower project. I'm angry about it. I wouldn't mind paying high fees if TW built it here though.
I feel like I read this somewhere recently.

Oh wait, I did.

Quote:
We're paying for TW's new 1,350 foot HQ that it's constructing in Midtown NYC. I am not pleased to underwrite improvements in NYC.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Where can we turn in the old modems at?

What kind of modem did you get?

Did you have to call customer service to activate it?
I haven't turned mine in yet. TWC said it the bill would come off as soon as I stopped using it.

Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem

Yes, you have to give them your MAC address and the modems number.

Once you do that you are online.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
We're paying for TW's new 1,350 foot HQ that it's constructing in Midtown NYC. I am not pleased to underwrite improvements in NYC.
Every cent you pay to a non-local business could be used to fund something for that company somewhere else. So based on that logic, you should stop buying just about everything.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte