Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,213 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker, but very infrequent poster.

I wanted to share an experience I had yesterday around 1 pm in Colonel Francis Beatty Park.

I was enjoying a walk around the lake and on the mountain bike trails with my mother and the family dog, a standard poodle. We had just passed another family of hikers, and had come out of the woods into an area of brush abutting a horse pasture about 200 yards from the road.

Suddenly 50-60 yards in front of us we saw what looked like an unleashed jet black dog with short pointed ears. As it paced towards us, and no owner came into view behind, we began to reconsider if it was in fact a dog.

My mother remembers seeing yellow eyes; I remember a very deliberate, cat like walk. It stared at us fearlessly and stalked forward. Instinctively we turned and began walking the other way. It then darted into the bush.

Folks, I suspect we saw a black panther.

But is this even possible? Is it more likely we saw something else (a black coyote?). Whatever it is, Colonel Francis Beatty Park is a pretty heavily visited place. I'm thinking some other folks must have seen it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,709 times
I'm in that park all the time. I have seen Coyotes and Fox, but nothing like you describe.

Very unlikely a Panther though.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 AM

Thanks for responding.I suppose it could have been a black coyote but it impressed us both as a large cat.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
That's what I was thinking. I often go to that park and see roaming cats that likes to taunt my dog. Especially when you said it walked to you purposefully.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM

84 posts, read 209,969 times
Chupacabra?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergescue View Post
Folks, I suspect we saw a black panther.

But is this even possible? Is it more likely we saw something else (a black coyote?). Whatever it is, Colonel Francis Beatty Park is a pretty heavily visited place.
Well, there was another black panther sighting in Western North Carolina, but I'd find that more believable than in a more urban park. Reference: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...tain-lion.html

I wish the OP had a photo.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM

249 posts, read 499,853 times
I live near the park. No way this was a black panther. Coyote or dog with mange, maybe. Chupacabra most likely. :P

Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
We have had posts in the past from very reliable people (hunters, sheriff deputies, etc) spotting something that they were certain was a type of "cat" and much too large to be any type of house cat. Several folks referred to the "cat" as being either very very dark brown or black.

Those sightings have typically been outside the city limits.

But yes, we have had people mention what they could only describe as a black cougar/mountain line (or panther-like) creature in and around MECK.

The official word is that there are no such cougars/pumas in this region.

However, I am not convinced as I have had family members and LE describe to me some very odd encounters with animals that sure were described as cougars or mountain lions (none with a black "cat" though - the ones they describe - and one sighting was within the last month - were for a tan colored "cat").

Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Now, bobcats can be a very dark color . . . but they are rarely over 25-30 lbs, tops. And they really do look a lot like a domestic cat, rather than a cougar/puma/mountain lion (whatever you want to call that type of cat).

Old 12-02-2013, 04:32 PM

I guess if no other evidence turns up of a large cat predator near the park, I'll reluctantly conclude it was a coyote.

Whatever it was, it was a predator, and big enough, and fearless enough in the presence of two adults and a dog, to inspire a a mild sense of fear.

It didn't run away from us.

We turned, instinctively, and walked quickly away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: