Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM

238 posts, read 567,933 times

Advertisements

Those schools that are under used are not used for a reason. The schools are not highly regarded, they are not schools of excellence. The houses zoned to that area have much lower property values. Being in a top school district affects home values. I'd rather they build another school then send me to a inferior school.

If this happens, we will definitely go private and probably move before our value plummets.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Those schools that are under used are not used for a reason. The schools are not highly regarded, they are not schools of excellence. The houses zoned to that area have much lower property values. Being in a top school district affects home values. I'd rather they build another school then send me to a inferior school.

If this happens, we will definitely go private and probably move before our value plummets.
Agree, you voice the thinking of most, since most picked up a neighborhood based on school.

Once a neighborhood is forced to a lower regarded value school, there will be many houses for sale and entire neighborhood home values will drop.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Agree, you voice the thinking of most, since most picked up a neighborhood based on school.

Once a neighborhood is forced to a lower regarded value school, there will be many houses for sale and entire neighborhood home values will drop.
This will happen unless the "money" in those neighborhoods speak.

Someone on another thread inferred this as the John Weiland (Weddington Trace?) subdivision just east of 16 was districted to Marvin rather than Cuthbertson because of the higher income concentrated in Marvin.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post

Wow, I'm sure the parents, students and teachers in those schools REALLY appreciate your comments.

So am I'm guessing you'd rather taxes go up for everyone in the county in order to build you a spanking new school, than go to an existing school that is underutilized just because it isn't a "preferred" school?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Wow, I'm sure the parents, students and teachers in those schools REALLY appreciate your comments.

So am I'm guessing you'd rather taxes go up for everyone in the county in order to build you a spanking new school, than go to an existing school that is underutilized just because it isn't a "preferred" school?
Absolutely! I will pay higher taxes in a heartbeat to provide the best education I can for My child. Whether the parents and teachers of the school appreciate the comments or not, fact is fact and an involved parent already knows how their child's school rates. We should not filter our thoughts based on that.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:45 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This will happen unless the "money" in those neighborhoods speak.

Someone on another thread inferred this as the John Weiland (Weddington Trace?) subdivision just east of 16 was districted to Marvin rather than Cuthbertson because of the higher income concentrated in Marvin.
Weddington Chase goes to Marvin. The next development down Newtown Rd. is Weddington Trace and they go to Cuthbertson.
The communities are close to each other.
A few years ago when Cuthbertson was built and schools were redistricted the then Mayor of Marvin didn't want a certain development in the Marvin schools. He referred to them as the element. At the time, those homes were worth $400,000 plus. I can't remember what community it was but they go to Cuthbertson. Wish I can find the article.
Of course, he didn't have much say about Hunter Oaks, Somerset etc...

Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Absolutely! I will pay higher taxes in a heartbeat to provide the best education I can for My child. Whether the parents and teachers of the school appreciate the comments or not, fact is fact and an involved parent already knows how their child's school rates. We should not filter our thoughts based on that.
I guess you didn't want to pay high enough before, or you would have bought more east. I pay high enough taxes already, don't need to buy anybody new schools when there are enough in the county to utilize. And the fact is, the high schools we have now will ALL be underutilized in a decade, as population numbers drop with grade. If you look at the enrollment numbers, its the lowest kindergarten year in a decade. When these kindergarteners get to highschool, they are going to be hearing crickets in the hallways. We can't sustain more highschools than what we already have in the long run, and it takes about 3 years to build one, so even that wouldn't fix any of the current overcrowding.....

I'm assuming all those in an uproar are new to the county, and haven't been shuffled around for the past decade in all the other redistricting? Are you also now calling for no more new developments, because of the heavy traffic and overcrowding at schools (that we all caused)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
The irony of it, huh. Marvin parents would throw a fit if they were redistricted to his district, and he doesn't want to be redistricted into the next one over. To each their own sense of entitlement and outrage.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Weddington Chase goes to Marvin. The next development down Newtown Rd. is Weddington Trace and they go to Cuthbertson.
The communities are close to each other.
A few years ago when Cuthbertson was built and schools were redistricted the then Mayor of Marvin didn't want a certain development in the Marvin schools. He referred to them as the element. At the time, those homes were worth $400,000 plus. I can't remember what community it was but they go to Cuthbertson. Wish I can find the article.
Of course, he didn't have much say about Hunter Oaks, Somerset etc...
Thanks for refreshing my memory, that was the incident I was thinking of. I wasn't sure if it was one of those communities or not. I usually get the names of those two community names mixed up.

I believe someone on that other thread was commenting on why Marvin MS/HS district spills across 16 to include Weddington Chase (a community with a high median income) when the "economical" thing to do would have been to extend that district south to include territory that Cuthbertson picked up when they opened.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I guess you didn't want to pay high enough before, or you would have bought more east. I pay high enough taxes already, don't need to buy anybody new schools when there are enough in the county to utilize. And the fact is, the high schools we have now will ALL be underutilized in a decade, as population numbers drop with grade. If you look at the enrollment numbers, its the lowest kindergarten year in a decade. When these kindergarteners get to highschool, they are going to be hearing crickets in the hallways. We can't sustain more highschools than what we already have in the long run, and it takes about 3 years to build one, so even that wouldn't fix any of the current overcrowding.....

I'm assuming all those in an uproar are new to the county, and haven't been shuffled around for the past decade in all the other redistricting? Are you also now calling for no more new developments, because of the heavy traffic and overcrowding at schools (that we all caused)?

The irony of it, huh. Marvin parents would throw a fit if they were redistricted to his district, and he doesn't want to be redistricted into the next one over. To each their own sense of entitlement and outrage.
There may be a lull in early grade enrollment, but the whole point of this discussion is that home building has picked up again and they need to shuffle students around to even the load at the middle an high school level. When the build ups start yielding new students of all ages, we'll still be in the same boat of needing more schools at all levels.

I think you are missing the point others are making. They chose the communities they are in in great part due to the performance level of the school the children would go to.

Living in northwestern Union County, they assumed that their children would go to Weddington, Marvin, Sun Valley or Cuthbertson and if they had gotten redistricted to one of those schools it wouldn't be so bad as they all perform at fairly high academic levels compared to the rest of the state and the other schools in the county. As such, the value of their home was priced accordingly and they accepted this price since that value in part was tied to the schools they are zoned to besides their proximity to Charlotte, home size/quality, etc...

Now I don't know about others, but I get the sense from your post is that you telling these people that you could care less about their concerns. They just have to accept that their children will go to a school half way across the county, have to get up earlier, endure a longer bus ride, get home later and be in a school that is not at the academic level of the one they currently attend because the economics of the county necessitate this reshuffle.

Sorry, if that happens, all the schools will hear crickets as many will just move away, and then where the county and school system be – lots of empty schools they still owe money on.

Folks who live out by Parkwood, Forest Hills, Monroe and Piedmont choose to live there knowing the academic level and the distance they live from the high school. Except for Monroe, these schools are mostly rural areas. The schools in northwestern Union County are suburban schools, and people moved there for the convenience to schools and other amenities.

It’s not a sense of entitlement; it’s someone getting what they expected when they moved to a certain area. And without the influx of these people and their money into the northwest part of the county, the school system in Union would be on par with those in the rest of the rural counties of the state. None of the money that flowed into the system to build new schools, maintain the existing ones and buy the new technology that all of the schools enjoy would exist. There should be some respect for others and what they have brought to the table.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
There may be a lull in early grade enrollment, but the whole point of this discussion is that home building has picked up again and they need to shuffle students around to even the load at the middle an high school level. When the build ups start yielding new students of all ages, we'll still be in the same boat of needing more schools at all levels.

I think you are missing the point others are making. They chose the communities they are in in great part due to the performance level of the school the children would go to.

Living in northwestern Union County, they assumed that their children would go to Weddington, Marvin, Sun Valley or Cuthbertson and if they had gotten redistricted to one of those schools it wouldn't be so bad as they all perform at fairly high academic levels compared to the rest of the state and the other schools in the county. As such, the value of their home was priced accordingly and they accepted this price since that value in part was tied to the schools they are zoned to besides their proximity to Charlotte, home size/quality, etc...

Now I don't know about others, but I get the sense from your post is that you telling these people that you could care less about their concerns. They just have to accept that their children will go to a school half way across the county, have to get up earlier, endure a longer bus ride, get home later and be in a school that is not at the academic level of the one they currently attend because the economics of the county necessitate this reshuffle.

Sorry, if that happens, all the schools will hear crickets as many will just move away, and then where the county and school system be – lots of empty schools they still owe money on.

Folks who live out by Parkwood, Forest Hills, Monroe and Piedmont choose to live there knowing the academic level and the distance they live from the high school. Except for Monroe, these schools are mostly rural areas. The schools in northwestern Union County are suburban schools, and people moved there for the convenience to schools and other amenities.

It’s not a sense of entitlement; it’s someone getting what they expected when they moved to a certain area. And without the influx of these people and their money into the northwest part of the county, the school system in Union would be on par with those in the rest of the rural counties of the state. None of the money that flowed into the system to build new schools, maintain the existing ones and buy the new technology that all of the schools enjoy would exist. There should be some respect for others and what they have brought to the table.
well..... none of that money would be needed to build new schools if it wasn't for the influx of population. I just don't think you get that the property owners that are currently districted to Porter Ridge pay the SAME tax rate as you. They have seen their tax rate increase with the higher populations, but have not benefited from the new construction, and most of Union County's total taxes are funneled into the western part, so its inauthentic to cry out how much you deserve for your tax money, as you've been given plenty. And as far as expectation.... I moved to this county fully expecting there to be some major shuffling around, as we (myself included) flooded this area and the county is doing their best to accommodate. I'm not sure why you had different expectations.

I'm not saying I don't care about your concerns, I would be concerned too, and nobody wants their kid uprooted. My point is that logic prevails emotion, and if decisions were made to accommodate every individual's wishes, it would be a logistical mess. If pounding on your chest and declaring that "you won't stand for it" because your better than them isn't a sense of entitlement, I don't know what is. And while you may think that there should be some respect for others and what they have brought to the table, I think you lack a respect for what was here and the efforts they have made to accommodate all of US that rushed to THEIR table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte