Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,440,619 times

Advertisements

+2 on Fresh Market. We are lucky that we have one in the Sand hills in Southern Pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,863,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Marketplace? I'm heading over that way today so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm a single guy, so I generally shop at least twice a week. I simply don't consume enough to warrant big purchases, so I make a loop based on where I need to be on a given day. Each store has it's deals, so I shop based largely on that and flll in where necessary.

I bought salmon on sale at Whole foods, and it was not nearly as good as the salmon I buy at TFM when it's on sale. The same goes with beef I bought at Earthfare.
Yes, I just googled it. (couldn't on my phone earlier) The Natural Marketplace. They don't have a huge foodstuff selection but I love their homeopathic remedies and they really know their stuff there. I have reduced my seasonal allergies to a mere annoyance using all their suggestions. I also go there for specialty items as they are cheaper than Earth Fare.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM

186 posts, read 288,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Yes, I just googled it. (couldn't on my phone earlier) The Natural Marketplace. They don't have a huge foodstuff selection but I love their homeopathic remedies and they really know their stuff there. I have reduced my seasonal allergies to a mere annoyance using all their suggestions. I also go there for specialty items as they are cheaper than Earth Fare.

Oooohhh...good to know. I need some essential oils. May check them out.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,669,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post

Whole paycheck.....L0Lz. That's funny right there

After being a loyal Trader Joes customer for years, I went shopping at Whole paycheck, after hearing how great they were. My God, I walked out with two bags half EMPTY and $70.00 missing from my wallet. Never again.

I love Trader Joes.
IMO, you have to be picky about what you buy at WF. It just doesn't make sense for me to go in there and pay 3 times as much for chicken broth as I would at TJ or even HT. But, their prepared food and deli is worth what you pay for it, I think.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 PM

161 posts, read 306,231 times
The Fresh Market is my favorite as well!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,762,810 times
I am stunned good ol' Harris Teeter is not "good enuf" for you guys. In some circles HT is considered high faluting!

Sounds like a bunch of food snobs.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 6,441 times
+1- for the farmer's market. Several vendors selling grass fed, free range, organic and such. And prices typically beat the higher 50% of the grocery stores. Plus you can select your quality. Also, places like Fresh Caught typically have fish from ocean caught on Thur (we shop on sat) and they and several have fresh water fish just harvested. Good deals to be had there and the best quality I've seen anywhere outside of pick-yourself and of Rosewood Market in Columbia, SC (if they are still kicking. :-)

Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am stunned good ol' Harris Teeter is not "good enuf" for you guys. In some circles HT is considered high faluting!

Sounds like a bunch of food snobs.
For me personally it's cheaper for me to go to the places I mentioned for the items I get. If saving my dollars makes me a snob them so be it.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,280,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energee View Post
Oooohhh...good to know. I need some essential oils. May check them out.
Of course you need essential oils. They're...essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
IMO, you have to be picky about what you buy at WF. It just doesn't make sense for me to go in there and pay 3 times as much for chicken broth as I would at TJ or even HT. But, their prepared food and deli is worth what you pay for it, I think.
I dunno. Some of those deli items get waaaayyy on up there in price. When something is $20-$30+ a pound, I have to consider whether I should just go to a restaurant, or make it at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
For me personally it's cheaper for me to go to the places I mentioned for the items I get. If saving my dollars makes me a snob them so be it.
If I can fit another store in my loop, I agree. But sometimes it's not worth the gas or time to save a few bucks.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

If I can fit another store in my loop, I agree. But sometimes it's not worth the gas or time to save a few bucks.
I agree, the mileage can eat into the savings. I was addressing the poster about Harris Teeter. The few stores I go to are closer or just as close as the HT.

And also that HT in the arboretum used to be my favorite store but something happened in the last several weeks. The employees there are incredibly rude and management even ruder. I don't go to that location anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte