Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 PM

834 posts, read 1,022,909 times

Advertisements

Trader Joes has natural food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM

12 posts, read 20,853 times
Wow, thanks everyone! This was great information, especially since I was hoping to have a better option than Whole Foods. Looks like EarthFare would be better, maybe HHM only for herbs and specialty items. I'll definitely check out the other suggestions as well.
For those of you who go to the farmers markets, would you say you have a favorite? When I moved here (NH) two years ago I went to the farmers markets expecting a lot of produce, maybe even some organic, but it ended up being a bunch of people selling jam. I've found you can only do so much with jam.
Definitely looking for the markets with good produce, meats, and dairy.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 AM

186 posts, read 288,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Trader Joes has natural food?

It definitely has less of a selection of natural food than Whole Foods or EarthFare, but you can get things like natural peanut butter, organic chicken, organic produce, natural body care items, organic coffees and teas, etc at a way better price than the other two stores.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,605,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenwriterInLA View Post
Wow, thanks everyone! This was great information, especially since I was hoping to have a better option than Whole Foods. Looks like EarthFare would be better, maybe HHM only for herbs and specialty items. I'll definitely check out the other suggestions as well.
For those of you who go to the farmers markets, would you say you have a favorite? When I moved here (NH) two years ago I went to the farmers markets expecting a lot of produce, maybe even some organic, but it ended up being a bunch of people selling jam. I've found you can only do so much with jam.
Definitely looking for the markets with good produce, meats, and dairy.
Matthews farmers market is great and there is a ton more than just jams. They also have cooking classes sometimes and other arts/crafts.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM

128 posts, read 244,000 times
The Home Economist is another good option. You can't really do all your grocery shopping there, but it is good place to look for good breads, microbrewed beers, local honey, teas ect. They also do have plenty of organic foods, nuts and juices. They do have well trained employees as does whole foods (earthfare not so much) if you were looking for something in particular.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM

186 posts, read 288,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNC View Post
The Home Economist is another good option. You can't really do all your grocery shopping there, but it is good place to look for good breads, microbrewed beers, local honey, teas ect. They also do have plenty of organic foods, nuts and juices. They do have well trained employees as does whole foods (earthfare not so much) if you were looking for something in particular.

The name has changed from The Home Economist to Healthy Home Market. At least the location on South has changed. I believe the one on Independence changed too. Actually, they just announced the South Blvd location is closing next year.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,987,967 times
I still like the hot buffet at Earth Fare and will get a quick lunch there once in a while. But most of my regular shopping is at Trader Joes. A bag of groceries at TJ for me is often $25-$35 but was more like $50-$70 at Earth Fare.

Some of the foods in these specialty stores can be found at Wal*Mart ... like Clif bars, Honest Tea, and Kashi cereal. Don't assume you *must* shop at an organic store for everything.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,865,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I still like the hot buffet at Earth Fare and will get a quick lunch there once in a while. But most of my regular shopping is at Trader Joes. A bag of groceries at TJ for me is often $25-$35 but was more like $50-$70 at Earth Fare.

Some of the foods in these specialty stores can be found at Wal*Mart ... like Clif bars, Honest Tea, and Kashi cereal. Don't assume you *must* shop at an organic store for everything.
I wouldn't buy those things so thankfully I don't have to step in a Wal-Mart. Whew!

I did find a nice bulk section over at central 201 when I lived near one. So that's another option if you don't want to go to an organic store.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM

469 posts, read 893,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Matthews farmers market is great and there is a ton more than just jams. They also have cooking classes sometimes and other arts/crafts.

One thing to think about regarding the Matthews Farmers Market is that they only allow farmers within a 50 mile radius to sell there. So you're only going to get seasonal produce. This is a good thing IMO, but I've seen people looking for bananas be bummed out that they couldn't find them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte