Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 03:16 PM

118 posts, read 185,449 times

Advertisements

A lot of brew pubs have begun to spin up in Charlotte. I originally thought all of the brewers here learned from each other or maybe they were taking beer making classes at the local community college UNCC then jumping right into distribution. I asked around and a number of the owners claim to have brewed in the likes of CA and CO. If you visit Asheville the beer is top-tier. I am not sure whats going on with the Charlotte brew community but the majority of the beer tastes dry hopped and unfiltered. The best place I have been to so far (and still not a fan to regular) would be Triple C.

Is Charlotte a Dry Hop and Belgium Town? What is your favorite brewery? Why don't they spin up restaurant/pubs instead of taproom/distribution models?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
I have noticed that a lot of the newer microbreweries in Charlotte like to pump out IPAs. CA trained could explain why they like to do IPAs. I am not a fan of IPAs so I usually stick with OMB, when I drink CLT brewed, since I am a big fan of German style beers.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
I love IPA's so the new breweries are alright with me. NoDo Hop Drop n Roll or Imperial.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
First off IPA's are hot. Almost every brewery is brewing several IPA's. Reason is simple. They sell. I'm a stout guy, but can drink an IPA from time to time. OP you seem to just want to bash anything charlotte. Taprooms are made, cause they are a lot less to build then a full service restaurant. I think Noda is the best of the locals. Everything I've had by them is top notch

Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
Why don't they spin up restaurant/pubs instead of taproom/distribution models?
Even if they did, I'm sure you'd still think they sucked....

Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
A lot of brew pubs have begun to spin up in Charlotte. I originally thought all of the brewers here learned from each other or maybe they were taking beer making classes at the local community college UNCC then jumping right into distribution. I asked around and a number of the owners claim to have brewed in the likes of CA and CO. If you visit Asheville the beer is top-tier. I am not sure whats going on with the Charlotte brew community but the majority of the beer tastes dry hopped and unfiltered. The best place I have been to so far (and still not a fan to regular) would be Triple C.

Is Charlotte a Dry Hop and Belgium Town? What is your favorite brewery? Why don't they spin up restaurant/pubs instead of taproom/distribution models?
a brewery should focus on brewing...

you sound like one of those home brew elitist.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Ooh I missed this one, wow! Charlotte is so disappointing you in ALL ways. Are there any else I missed? Grocery stores?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 3,837 times
There are plenty of brew pubs around and no shortage of new ones. Heist is one example I can think of right off the bat. As someone above mentioned, true breweries should focus on brewing beer and not trying to run a restaurant. My personal favorite is NoDa Brewery and, while they do have a few IPAs, there are plenty of other options. They brew a small batch of something new every Tuesday. Last week was chocolate raspberry porter. They also have a food truck outside daily if you're hungry. I guess Charlotte can't be "top-tier" like Asheville, though.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Only bad part about IPAs is that they ruin you on lagers. I can't stand the taste of them anymore. I like NoDa IPAs.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Heist hasn't had much success with their craft beers, but I just learned at the Queen City Beer fest this past weekend that they got rid of their brewer and hired one (or 2) new brewers. I hope they do better.
My farvorites are NoDa and Triple C - both breweries are run by great people and do a lot in our community. OMB is great if you don't like the IPAs - they have been very successful doing the German beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte