Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,061 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there were any NJ transplants that can give me their feedback? DH has a possible job opportunity in Charlotte and we are seriously considering relocating. I don't know much about Charlotte and have started to do some research. I know the cost of living down there is less, but so are salaries. What was the adjustment like for you? Did things end up evening out? Also does anyone have any idea what the job market for mental health professionals is like? Thanks in advance for any feedback. If it helps we are from North Jersey. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM

162 posts, read 401,136 times
My wife and I were born and raised in northern NJ. We moved here back in 1998. At first it was because we were young and wanted to see what else is out there beside NJ. Over the years we've come to realize our money went farther than in NJ. As far as adjustment, it was bigger for my wife than me. It took her about a year to really not feel depressed about it. We still miss our friends and family who still are up there and we miss the food. There are a lot of "us" down here so making friends was relatively easy. It did take a while though. You'll start off with a few people from work with common interests and then as time goes by you'll form your network and expand the people you know. Everyone is different though, your adjustment may be over quick, or you may end up hating it and want to go back, never fully getting used to it.

It's a nice place to live and affordable to raise a family. It's got some nice restaurants and things to do and see for entertainment (a handul of broadway shows will make a short appearance for example) but it will never ever be anything near like living by NYC. If that's what you like, you might be bored or feel you're missing something. Beaches are a good 3 to 4 hours away, mountains about 2 but in between there's nothing. It's not like driving in NJ where you pass through one town into another never really leaving civilization. Once you leave Charlotte it is country and rural.

I can't answer the job market question. My opinion though is it's probably like every other market, jobs are tough. Most of the time it comes down to who you know.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB623 View Post
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there were any NJ transplants that can give me their feedback? DH has a possible job opportunity in Charlotte and we are seriously considering relocating. I don't know much about Charlotte and have started to do some research. I know the cost of living down there is less, but so are salaries. What was the adjustment like for you? Did things end up evening out? Also does anyone have any idea what the job market for mental health professionals is like? Thanks in advance for any feedback. If it helps we are from North Jersey. Thanks again.
I came down from South Jersey. I live west of Charlotte & it's a good fit for me. I suggest that you spend a weekend in South Jersey. If you think that it would work for you, there, then come down & check the Charlotte area.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM

88 posts, read 129,755 times
Bigbri20 is right. We are from NYC. He hits the nail on the head.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:01 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,271 times
Been in CLT for 6 years now from Parsippany, still adjusting. Also agree with most of what bigbri stated. You see a lot of posts here where people confuse 'missing friends and family back home' for 'not liking the area'. CLT is what you make of it, there's plenty of good, but also a lot of 'different' from north jersey.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
Livingston, NJ ex-pat here. I miss NJ, NY, and Philly.

My dad built a cabin on Lake Mohawk before the real estate became extremely pricey.

Been here 20+ years. I'd go back to NJ in a heartbeat if there were no snow to deal with.
I'm not real crazy about certain aspects of the local business culture or the schools here.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Livingston, NJ ex-pat here. I miss NJ, NY, and Philly.

My dad built a cabin on Lake Mohawk before the real estate became extremely pricey.

Been here 20+ years. I'd go back to NJ in a heartbeat if there were no snow to deal with.
I'm not real crazy about certain aspects of the local business culture or the schools here.
Just curious, what aspects of the local business culture do you not like? I live in NJ but may be moving to the Charlotte area in the next year or so. I've heard the schools there are not like they are up here, but I don't have kids so that's not an issue for me.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:22 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
You can swing a stick and hit someone from NY or NJ down here. Been here 20 years now from northern NJ. What specifics are you looking for?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
You can swing a stick and hit someone from NY or NJ down here. Been here 20 years now from northern NJ. What specifics are you looking for?
And it need not be a long stick.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM

161 posts, read 305,398 times
I was laughing when I saw the title of the post. You will get why when you live here. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte