Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,913,897 times

Advertisements

In his post about NoDa, ffire comes to the conclusion that NoDa is not what he's looking for. He says:

"Looking for cosmopolitan ......I think Ballantynish, maybe."

What about his evaluation of Ballantyne? Is it cosmopolitan? I honestly don't know. Here are a few dictionary definitions of "comopolitan."

Free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world

Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt

So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.

What do you think? Is Ballantyne cosmopolitan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 PM

825 posts, read 2,822,015 times
I wouldn't describe it as cosmopolitan more country club, upscale, retail oriented, business minded. It's known as Ballantyne because of the upscale hotel and country club that was first built there.

Charlotteans sometimes describe "going into Ballantyne" as if there is a special quality to it.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,674,708 times
I'd say maybe cosmopolitan if there is a mix of different ethnicities, which there probably is.

But I'd say more upscale, soccer mommish, green landscaping, "work/play, and very safe and convenient. I would have thought NoDa is more cosmopolitan.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 AM

175 posts, read 464,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
In his post about NoDa, ffire comes to the conclusion that NoDa is not what he's looking for. He says:

"Looking for cosmopolitan ......I think Ballantynish, maybe."

What about his evaluation of Ballantyne? Is it cosmopolitan? I honestly don't know. Here are a few dictionary definitions of "comopolitan."

Free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world

Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt

So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.

What do you think? Is Ballantyne cosmopolitan?

Sorry barb.... maybe it was just an off the cuff statement. I guess by cosmpolitan I am talking about heaps of local cafe/restaurants, general buzzing atmosphere, upbeat community....etc......not really really quiet, but still good for families.....safe. I think a few were suggesting Noda is not safe or borders bad areas. I dont actually have any idea if that is true.....so hence my reversal to ballantyne again.

Do you have any good suggestions i could look at?

Thanks again

Old 12-05-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post
Sorry barb.... maybe it was just an off the cuff statement. I guess by cosmpolitan I am talking about heaps of local cafe/restaurants, general buzzing atmosphere, upbeat community....etc......not really really quiet, but still good for families.....safe. I think a few were suggesting Noda is not safe or borders bad areas. I dont actually have any idea if that is true.....so hence my reversal to ballantyne again.

Thanks again
I can not believe that I am answering a post at 5:59 am. I am a knitter and handbag designer/maker. Some of my neighbors - knitters, potters and jewelry makers - and I are having our annual holiday gift sake this weekend. HENCE here I am in the wee hours of Wednesday trying to finish some of my bags. But I need to take a break every once in a while and so here I am at my computer.

First of all, before I and others make any suggestions, we need to know your price range. I guess if you're considering Ballantyne, you must be looking at over $500,000 or $600,000. If I were to be considering spending that sum on a house and wanted a cosmopolitan area in Charlotte, my first thoughts would be to look at the neighborhoods near uptown. (Unless, of course, you will be working at Ballantyne or Lake Norman. In this case you'll want to live in Ballantyne or at the Lake.) If, however, you'll be working in town, I'd look at Elizabeth, Dilworth or Eastover/Myers Park There is also Cottswold. but it would require a bit longer and more congested commute. These are older well-established neighborhoods with good schools and attractive, very well-maintained older homes. If I knew what cities you were familiar with, I might be able to make some comparisons. These neighborhoods -especially Myers Park and Eastover - comprise what is generally thought of as "old Charlotte" and are considered very desirable. In years past houses in these areas often did not even come up for sale - it was all pretty much word of mouth. Are they cosmopolitan? I'm not sure . I think they are probably rather conservative - a quality that I don't associate with "cosmopolitan." People who live here probably travel more than your average Charlottean, are better educated and are involved in civic activities. For the most part they are not flashy. My favorite of all is Dilworth and next would be Elizabeth and finally Plaza-Midwood which gets geographically closer to NoDa and some folks don't like because of it's proximity to questionable neighborhoods. These neighborhoods are probably more cosmopolitan than ay other. Probably as cosmopolitan as Charlotte gets. An artist with enough money would probably prefer to live in one of these neighborhoods. It's really hard, to put all of this into words. So much of it depends on background, family circumstances, etc. I, for example, prefer an old neighborhood and would take a Craftsman style house over a Mc Mansion. When I was house hunting with my son in Durham I fell in love with the condo he eventually bought in an old tobacco warehouse - 20 foot ceilings, brick interior walls and the original hardwood floors. Likewise, I was thrilled when my daughter bypassed the shiny new condos in DC and bought into a turn of the century building with high ceilings and the original floors. So you see where my tastes lead me. This may not be at all what you want. One of the lovely, huge homes in Ballantyne may be your cup of tea. All of the neighborhoods mentioned, including Ballantyne, have good shopping, theaters and restaurants nearby - in some cases within walking distance.

And Charlotte is a VERY friendly city - ready to help newcomers. I think the norm is friendly and welcoming.

If you want to ask more, feel free to DM me and I'll try to answer your questions, Another very good person to talk with would be LovesMountains, a regular on this forum , who frequentlygoes out of her way to help newcomers. I may be a little too Bohemian for some people's tastes.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,173,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post

Thanks again
Best thing is to visit and take a look for yourself Let your realtor know what you are thinking and he/she will take you to the areas that meet your needs. An aside, have you considered Dilworth?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,905,479 times
If I can get a good Indian, Vietnamese, Thai food, livermush, cheese grits, and Stella Artois beer, it is cosmopolitan enough for me. Besides, I thought that this issue had been well beaten into the gound on the other thread? I do believe that Ballyntyne is cosmopolitan. I have spent time in Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, and numerous Baltic coastal cities. It is likely that they are not as cosmopolitan as one would think. I can't recall seeing many Asians, Africans (sub saharan or otherwise), or people of Spanish influence in any of the aforementioned cities. Based on my observation of these places, Charlotte is more cosmpolitan if your concept of cosmopolitan is world wide influence or presence. I have relatives that live in suburban London (Surrey) and the only way you will see a foreigner (other than British) is to go into the town center and visit a ethnic restaurant. Yet, London is probably the most cosmopolitan city on earth.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM

175 posts, read 464,890 times
Quote:
I can not believe that I am answering a post at 5:59 am. I am a knitter and handbag designer/maker. Some of my neighbors - knitters, potters and jewelry makers - and I are having our annual holiday gift sake this weekend. HENCE here I am in the wee hours of Wednesday trying to finish some of my bags. But I need to take a break every once in a while and so here I am at my computer.

First of all, before I and others make any suggestions, we need to know your price range. I guess if you're considering Ballantyne, you must be looking at over $500,000 or $600,000. If I were to be considering spending that sum on a house and wanted a cosmopolitan area in Charlotte, my first thoughts would be to look at the neighborhoods near uptown. (Unless, of course, you will be working at Ballantyne or Lake Norman. In this case you'll want to live in Ballantyne or at the Lake.) If, however, you'll be working in town, I'd look at Elizabeth, Dilworth or Eastover/Myers Park There is also Cottswold. but it would require a bit longer and more congested commute. These are older well-established neighborhoods with good schools and attractive, very well-maintained older homes. If I knew what cities you were familiar with, I might be able to make some comparisons. These neighborhoods -especially Myers Park and Eastover - comprise what is generally thought of as "old Charlotte" and are considered very desirable. In years past houses in these areas often did not even come up for sale - it was all pretty much word of mouth. Are they cosmopolitan? I'm not sure . I think they are probably rather conservative - a quality that I don't associate with "cosmopolitan." People who live here probably travel more than your average Charlottean, are better educated and are involved in civic activities. For the most part they are not flashy. My favorite of all is Dilworth and next would be Elizabeth and finally Plaza-Midwood which gets geographically closer to NoDa and some folks don't like because of it's proximity to questionable neighborhoods. These neighborhoods are probably more cosmopolitan than ay other. Probably as cosmopolitan as Charlotte gets. An artist with enough money would probably prefer to live in one of these neighborhoods. It's really hard, to put all of this into words. So much of it depends on background, family circumstances, etc. I, for example, prefer an old neighborhood and would take a Craftsman style house over a Mc Mansion. When I was house hunting with my son in Durham I fell in love with the condo he eventually bought in an old tobacco warehouse - 20 foot ceilings, brick interior walls and the original hardwood floors. Likewise, I was thrilled when my daughter bypassed the shiny new condos in DC and bought into a turn of the century building with high ceilings and the original floors. So you see where my tastes lead me. This may not be at all what you want. One of the lovely, huge homes in Ballantyne may be your cup of tea. All of the neighborhoods mentioned, including Ballantyne, have good shopping, theaters and restaurants nearby - in some cases within walking distance.

And Charlotte is a VERY friendly city - ready to help newcomers. I think the norm is friendly and welcoming.

If you want to ask more, feel free to DM me and I'll try to answer your questions, Another very good person to talk with would be LovesMountains, a regular on this forum , who frequentlygoes out of her way to help newcomers. I may be a little too Bohemian for some people's tastes.
Thank you. Such great information. LovesMountains ahs been a tremendous help too......it sure helps to get an idea of the areas before you even get there.

We are definitely not looking over $500k....lol,

I think the best idea will be for our family to rent somewhere relatively central, busy, and safe......then spend 6-12 months really looking into the neighbourhoods. Any ideas on where????? location i mean.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 PM

FFIRE says that they'll probably "spend 6-12 months really looking into the neighbourhoods. Any ideas on where????? location i mean."

That sounds like a good plan. Where to look depends on your budget and where you'll be working. Are you British or Canadian? (neighbourhood)? That might make a diference in where you want to look.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
FFIRE says that they'll probably "spend 6-12 months really looking into the neighbourhoods. Any ideas on where????? location i mean."

That sounds like a good plan. Where to look depends on your budget and where you'll be working. Are you British or Canadian? (neighbourhood)? That might make a diference in where you want to look.
Barb, I believe FFIRE is moving from Austrailia

I think the idea of coming and giving yourself time to really explore all areas of the city is a good one - ESPECIALLY when you are coming from an entirely different country. The great news is, I believe he will have many areas to choose from that "fit" his wants and desires
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte