Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,150,946 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Greenville, SC. We love downtown Greenville and all it has to offer. We like to visit areas nearby and enjoy the town. Are there any cool downtowns that surround Charlotte that are similar? A walkable and happening downtown with places to eat and listen to some good music. A downtown that holds events and people frequent. You get my drift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,416,180 times
Where did you move here from?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM

8,813 posts, read 10,278,417 times
I've been to downtown Greenville a few times and I have to say I was quite impressed. It seemed so clean, green, and vibrant. That said, the two things that comes to mind are Reedy River park (especially the bridge over the river), and (I think they call it WestEnd) where the baseball stadium and some lofts/small businesses are.

I can't really think of anything like that here. I'm sure though if you google downtown Rock Hill, Kannapolis, Statesville, etc. you might find something to your liking. I wouldn't recommend Gastonia though, just didn't seem like much of anything goes on there.

FWIW, I was in downtown Corneilus last Spring during some sort of arts and music festival and there were young men and women dressed to the nines walking around. I don't know how often this goes on, but just throwing it out there.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Downtown Greenville is tough to beat. This isn't the right forum, but, if you haven't been to downtown Charleston, its almost a must-see.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Downtown Greenville is tough to beat. This isn't the right forum, but, if you haven't been to downtown Charleston, its almost a must-see.
We moved from Central FL via PA. Yes, we've been to Charleston

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I've been to downtown Greenville a few times and I have to say I was quite impressed. It seemed so clean, green, and vibrant. That said, the two things that comes to mind are Reedy River park (especially the bridge over the river), and (I think they call it WestEnd) where the baseball stadium and some lofts/small businesses are.

I can't really think of anything like that here. I'm sure though if you google downtown Rock Hill, Kannapolis, Statesville, etc. you might find something to your liking. I wouldn't recommend Gastonia though, just didn't seem like much of anything goes on there.

FWIW, I was in downtown Corneilus last Spring during some sort of arts and music festival and there were young men and women dressed to the nines walking around. I don't know how often this goes on, but just throwing it out there.
I'll check those out. Thanks

Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 PM

489 posts, read 913,260 times
Nothing comparable around here, to downtown Greenville except for center city Charlotte.

Nice down towns are Belmont, Matthews, Monroe, Concord, Davidson, Rock Hill, Gastonia, Mt. Holly, in no order.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We moved from Central FL via PA. Yes, we've been to Charleston
Cool, welcome to the Carolinas! Im from Greenville originally. Its remarkable what they've done with downtown. I mean no offense at all by saying this....but 20 years ago, dtown Gville was rough. Some ghetto areas, not much to see or do, and never go at night.

They did a 180 with that area, and now, its one of my favorite places in the state to go.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:41 AM

88 posts, read 130,029 times
Plaza Midwoos

Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,625,410 times
Becky, I grew up down there and Main st is nice.....much nicer than when I was there. As for what is around Charlotte, that is tough. Downtown Charlotte is fun with lots of restaurants, activities depending on the date and live music at the music factory (an awesome place for live music). Baseball is back in the center city and game days are fun....if you can get tickets. However, Greenville has more of a small town feel where Charlotte is more of a city, not sure if that if what you are looking for. Some areas of town like 4th Ward are nice and cool to visit, Alexander Michels is a great neighborhood restaurant. There are a lot of neighborhoods around Charlotte like Plaza Midwood, Dilworth, NODA, Southend etc that are cool places, just much smaller than Greenville. Matthews has a nice downtown that is smaller than Greenville and good for a half day. Looking for a Greenville like place is tough around Charlottte because it is much larger than the small towns and much smaller than downtown Charlotte. Not sure about surrounding counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte