Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 14,329 times

Advertisements

My sister and brother in law are visiting this weekend, and they are bringing their 26 foot pontoon boat. I was wondering if anyone could assist me with where the best public boat access is for Lake Wylie. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Copperhead Island or the one next to T-Bones. I can't remember the name of it at the moment. There are a couple more, but those are the two main ones.

Lake Wylie -Duke Energy

Do keep in mind that not all listed accesses are actually public access or free of charge.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 AM

469 posts, read 891,394 times
I've used the Buster Boyd Bridge one, Copperhead Island and have been to/seen Nivens Creek and Allison Creek and South Point Access either from my boat in the water or by driving to see what they look like. Buster Boyd Bridge is closer for me, so that's typically the one I use. All of those accesses are in some very different areas, so a lot would depend on where you are coming from as to where I would recommend. For Mecklenburg County, I'd recommend Copperhead or Buster Boyd. Gaston County - South Point. I haven't driven to Allison and Nivens in a very long time, so I can't remember the areas they are closer to. Make sure to scroll down on that link - it gives more specifics about which access points actually have boat launches.

Oh - and I recommend stopping by a Marine Store and getting a lake map. I like to launch at Buster Boyd and then drive to Big Allison Creek or Little Allison Creek - it's out of the main channel and much calmer and less busy. But sometimes I go the other way and end up around where Wilkinson Blvd and I-85 passes over.

Last edited by Go To Girl; 05-28-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,421 times
Where are you coming from in Charlotte? Nivens is very nice down 160 in Tega Cay. Buster Boyd is bigger with more ramps and things to do nearby. It is also centrally located ont he lake. You can go either North or South.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM

125 posts, read 243,602 times
Use the Copperhead Island slip, it is way less stressful and crowded. The one at the marina can turns into a zoo on the weekends.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
If you want a ride way up on the lake, actually the river, there is a private boat landing in Mt. Holly where Hwy 27 crosses the Catawba. It's always open. If the old guy is there he will charge you a $1 to use the landing. It's a nice journey from there down to the south end of the lake. You will pass under I-85, Wllkenson Blvd, and see other points of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: