Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times

Advertisements

It just wouldn't be Christmas in the Charlotte area without a drive thru McAdenville during Christmas!

Happy HOLIDAYS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I was actually pretty impressed with the lights on people's homes in Tega Cay. I have a feeling this may be the next McAdenville.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 PM

237 posts, read 298,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
McAddenville is a small town just South of Charlotte on I-85. They put up Christmas lights on many of the homes along the main street. You stay in your car and just drive through the town.

I grew up in western SC, and always heard of the McAddenville Lights. People really loved them. Well, we went to them this year and it was quite a waste of time, in my opinion. It's really just a bunch of homes that have been decorated, and also some large trees on the streets have been lighted as well.

We got off on the Lowell exit, because it said the normal McA exit was closed. There were enough signs to point us in the right direction.

We started waiting in line at 8:45pm and finally reached McA at 9:22pm. That's 37 minutes of bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go driving. We found 102.something, on the FM dial, which was giving us some good Christmas tunes, so we made the best of the wait.

The bumper-to-bumper driving continues through McA, as you view the lights. In 23 minutes we had completed the tour, and we couldn't understand why these lights were so infamous. It was a waste of time and gas. Even though it all only took one hour, both my wife and I said that it felt like twice that.

If I lived within 30 minutes of McA and knew there would be no traffic, I might make the trip to drive through and see the lights. But a wait of 37 minutes is way too long for what you finally get in return.

Find an upscale neighborhood in a nearby town where everyone decorates their houses and you'll get just as good a time from that.
As i was driving by the other night, i saw the huge line on exit 23 on 85 s, i kept going south and i see exit 22 with hardly any traffic. I could see right there that many of the people making the huge line to see the lights were going to wait a long time for a view that is not worth the wait. You have to find the right best way to get in and out of the area to get a 20 min enjoyable experience. that lesson should go towards any experience where you have to weigh wether a long wait is worth it or not.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Head on up to Tanglewood next year. The lights there were amazing IMO.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
McAdenville is a tradition. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back. Different strokes for different folks. I like the tasteful, respectful, attitude the town displays. I am not into a carnival type atmosphere. We used to go to PTL and I really think there were more lights there, but it had a much different atmosphere. Bling! Bling!

I saw lots of houses on TV that were supposed to be the "thing." None of them compared to the historical views in McAdenville. If you are into "bigger is better" this will probably not be your thing. McAdenville just looks like an old fashioned Christmas. I think we have been back every year since our first visit. I didn't hear as much music this year as years past, but the atmosphere was still there. It may be because we went on Christmas day. We almost missed it this year. We always go on Wilkinson Blvd. to get there. We like right turns.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:54 PM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
This year was my first experience with the McAdenville lights, and I have to say that at first I didn't understand the hype. I spent the first few nights of the month sitting on my back deck watching the traffic (I have a great view of Wesleyan and the lake) and not fully understanding why people sat through all that traffic just to see lights. Then I got out there, and walked the strip ... and it clicked.

Yeah, on the surface, people are coming for the lights. But when you really think about it, it becomes clear that most people are there to experience a piece of Americana that seems like it has been lost - that old Norman Rockwell/Coca-Cola Christmas.

It is the fact that so many people are there for exactly the same reason that makes this the attraction that it is. If it was just a bunch of houses with lights, then it could be anywhere. But this is people out walking, wishing each other Merry Christmas, singing, smiling, waving from cars (often with excited little heads popped up through the sun roof) ... all in a beautiful, peaceful, old fashioned town that just happens to be decorated with a lot of lights. A certain feeling is generated in a big way every night for a month ... I guess you can call it Christmas spirit. I have seen a lot of streets where neighbors compete for the best light show all around the country, but I have never felt that communal joyful feeling that I felt on the strip in McAdenville anywhere else.

I am sorry you were disappointed. For thousands of others though, lifelong memories were made.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
We went twice this year, the first time we just drove through and the second time we parked and walked it. Granted it's nothing compared to the display in Baltimore and some others. However it's not excessive or overly done, everything is done pretty tastefully done. We had the XM Christmas station on when we drove through and I thought it was great. Walking through was the best though, not to mention people openly wishing others a "Merry Christmas". I mean God forbid you do THAT anymore.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 12-29-2007 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 03:57 PM

674 posts, read 803,926 times
McAddenville is supposed to be about the spirit of Christmas, not about having more lights than Vegas.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
I went through McAdenville about a week ago. I wasn't expecting much but I have to tell you I was really impressed...it reminded me of Bedford Falls (from "Its a Wonderful Life") except w/o the snow!

The whole story on how it started and grew was pretty interesting too...

Old 12-29-2007, 04:33 PM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
We took the kids the other night. I have to say parts of the town were amazing with rows and rows of trees. Some of the shapes of the trees are interesting. We do miss the stuff from back home like moving soldiers and dancing dolls and such but this was nice. I don't think we would go back every year but it was nice to see once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte