Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I took a carload, including two kids who hadn't seen it before. Both of them loved it. The five year old said it was the best Christmas ever! Maybe his getting to ride with his head poking out of the sun roof had something to do with it, but he was oo'ing and ah'ing like crazy and ponting out the best lights to me.

I didn't particularly enjoy the slow drive with my foot on the brake the whole time, but the kids loved it. That's what counts.

bravo thats the spirit

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-09-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I took a carload, including two kids who hadn't seen it before. Both of them loved it. The five year old said it was the best Christmas ever! Maybe his getting to ride with his head poking out of the sun roof had something to do with it, but he was oo'ing and ah'ing like crazy and ponting out the best lights to me.

I didn't particularly enjoy the slow drive with my foot on the brake the whole time, but the kids loved it. That's what counts.
Kids seem to love doing that. Every car we saw with a sunroof had people poking their heads out.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 20,772 times
Thumbs up I Had Fun

I am new to Charlotte,NC and heard about the Christmas lights of McAddenville. A week ago my roommate and I did the drive. We entered off of I-85 and had no troubles getting to the display. You really can't miss it. The town is beautiful and small with the most picturesque downtown area that I have seen in a long time. The homes were nice and the entire place was decorated with lights. The lighting display downtown and around the lake were the best. I wanted to write a positive note in regards to some of the comments made in here.
Look at it like this. It is what it is. They don't hype themselves up to be the end all say all in Christmas lights and Christmas decorating so if you went there with that thought in your head, well then ofcourse you would be dissappointed. The lines of traffic if you go during the week were not long at all. I think it was a Wednesday that we went and although it was busy we still made it from one end to the other in less than an hour. Sure traffic is stop and go but remember that it's people with cars full of kids and they tend to stop and stare a little more often and after all this season really is for the kids. Best of all this whole thing is free!!! So even if one house only lit one candle in the window (which is not the case), you got your money's worth right? I find what McAddenville does is actually really nice and touching because this is funded by its' citizens and not have huge corporate sponsers and that gesture alone is alot more of an effort than what most other people do for anyone other than themselves at this time of year and in this type of economy. I personally felt this was worth my time and gas and will do it again next year.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
I haven't missed them but a few times over the years...always love to soak up the atmosphere. Never have been dissappointed. We decied for the first time ever this year to travel to Winston Salem and check out Tanglewood. My three year old loved it but I have to admit I was bothered at how "commercial" it was...I mean I can't really explain it, but the "displays" were just too...hum, its not a word...but "displayee" to me. I like the old fashioned lights and just didn't care for the very orchestrated displays at Tanglewood. I am glad the money goes to a good cause because otherwise it would have been a big waste...EXCEPT like a NCDave said...the kid loved it so it was worth the drive. And a bonus...we detoured through Lexington and had some sweet BBQ!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 727 times
Our family took our grandchildren out of school in Durham, NC at noon a couple times just to travel to McAdenville and it was PERFECT. We were some of the first cars to drive through and then we turned around and went down some other beautiful streets. We rolled down our windows to enjoy the Christmas music coming from many homes and churches. It's a beautiful experience and our whole family was impressed with this small town still holding to old traditions of celebrating with lights, music, and good cheer. Merry Christmas to All.....God Bless You and God Bless America.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Some tips for McAdenville:

Go on a weekday.

Do not take 85 to McAdenville. Use Hwy 74 which is easily accesible from 85 and other major thoroughfares.

Park the care and get out and walk around. One of the churches serves coffee and hot cholcolate and you can hear the Christmas Bells and music.
Good advice and if possible arrive at 5:30 for practically no traffic....I haven't been for several years, but I remember thinking, "Why don't they have any blue lights (only green, red, and white)." It is a nice tradition. I prefer a historic town over a so-called "upscale" neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte