Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbslovescats View Post
Thanks guys.
@Momtothree- you are right- it is kind of trashy-laughable. (I AM watching to make sure that the dog is only on that leash from time to time or I'll be on them like holy on the pope)... but it's gross- with those houses so close to the main road and so close together (I guess you can say that for most of Charlotte), people walking on the roads, ugly fences going up, there is also low income coming (this is coming from someone who was raised super low income) so I'm not a class-ist, I'm a realist. Thank goodness that the 495 interchange that was scheduled for Weddington Road is on hold indefinitely- that would be been curtains for Winterbrooke at least.

OK- so maybe it's my imagination. I AM still curious to see if anyone who is living here and not just driving through noticed anything.

Thanks again.
I'm curious what you mean by this, and also what you meant in an earlier post by people "hanging out." Why would it be a negative to you that people are walking or using yards/public spaces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbslovescats View Post
Thanks guys.
@Momtothree- you are right- it is kind of trashy-laughable. (I AM watching to make sure that the dog is only on that leash from time to time or I'll be on them like holy on the pope)... but it's gross- with those houses so close to the main road and so close together (I guess you can say that for most of Charlotte), people walking on the roads, ugly fences going up, there is also low income coming (this is coming from someone who was raised super low income) so I'm not a class-ist, I'm a realist. Thank goodness that the 495 interchange that was scheduled for Weddington Road is on hold indefinitely- that would be been curtains for Winterbrooke at least.

OK- so maybe it's my imagination. I AM still curious to see if anyone who is living here and not just driving through noticed anything.

Thanks again.
1. what's wrong with people walking on the roads? Exercise is good for the body.
2. By low income, are you using coded language to refer to people of color?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
As a native, I've seen a change in the entire area, not always for the good.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 AM

110 posts, read 157,748 times
We were away for three years and I have been asking the same thing. NOT the same city we left.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Again - in terms of property appreciate and values I would avoid Mint Hill. Matthews should be ok the closer to weddington you get, but completely avoid anything near or close to hwy 74. That said, there are some value homes to be found in Sardis Forest and around there, but don't expect much appreciation in value in the near/short term.

Mint Hill on the other hand is going to be stagnant in property values for a good while to come.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Mint Hill on the other hand is going to be stagnant in property values for a good while to come.
Mind sharing the powerball numbers too?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 30,137 times
Really charlygal? My clever code is cracked.

Moving on...

I guess I mean I see loitering when I say people walking around and hanging out. The place is also just getting a little uglier to me. Every piece of land I see has a for sale sign. As a transplant, I purchased in an established neighborhood- they really need to stop building these builder specials on tiny plots of land. That makes me sad. I just get a different vibe from the whole area- like someone left a pack of smokes and some beer on the neighborhood wall last week (who knows, maybe it was my husband haha). The wall was also vandelized a few months ago. The street sign had spray paint on it. Maybe it was the visible garage couch that set me over the edge. Things like that give me a bad feeling in my gutt.

Maybe paranoia. Anyway, that's for the responses guys. Now, back to tin-foiling my kitchen walls.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:00 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
The main drag on the area is 74. It's decaying, the commercial centers are partially empty, highway construction is discouraging re-investment and new business start-ups. It's lined with 1980s-1990s vinyl clutter that is beginning to show middle age and the percentages of rentals have crept way up in those neighborhoods.

I disagree about Mint Hill. Plenty of new construction there, it's a more stable area than the 74 corridor.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

274 posts, read 239,382 times
Are the builder houses on your side of Weddington Road or the opposite side? If they're on the opposite side, that's Charlotte. If they are on the Matthews side, call the planning/zoning department and have the Code Enforcement Officer look into it -- that's his job.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
The main drag on the area is 74. It's decaying, the commercial centers are partially empty, highway construction is discouraging re-investment and new business start-ups. It's lined with 1980s-1990s vinyl clutter that is beginning to show middle age and the percentages of rentals have crept way up in those neighborhoods.

I disagree about Mint Hill. Plenty of new construction there, it's a more stable area than the 74 corridor.
Yeah, I didn't get that remark about Mint Hill either - it's always been a great little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte