Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, I didn't get that remark about Mint Hill either - it's always been a great little town.
I went to the grand opening of the new Aldi, and very nice area! And yes on the way there, I kept a sharp eye about but didn't spot anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 03:01 PM

343 posts, read 686,006 times
Default Cheap developers ruin areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
It's lined with 1980s-1990s vinyl clutter that is beginning to show middle age and the percentages of rentals have crept way up in those neighborhoods.
I think this is a problem all across Charlotte and its suburbs. Why are they allowing these cheap developers to build like that?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 AM

274 posts, read 239,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
The main drag on the area is 74. It's decaying, the commercial centers are partially empty, highway construction is discouraging re-investment and new business start-ups. It's lined with 1980s-1990s vinyl clutter that is beginning to show middle age and the percentages of rentals have crept way up in those neighborhoods.
The problem with I-74 in Matthews is that it's a state highway - the town doesn't have any control over the road itself, only the development/zoning. The widening at both ends of the highway, except for the area through Matthews, which cannot be widened due to the current development, is definitely a negative for the area. Matthews is still trying to find the best way to deal with the eventual bottleneck that will occur in the main 74 corridor through Matthews, i.e., the intersection near Butler.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,221 times
I have lived in the Mathews area for seven years. The area from Charlotte has been spreading into Matthews up 74 like a cancer. Except for Costco I refuse to shop in that area. I'm tired of loud music, reckless drivers, and disrespectful people.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoKey View Post
The problem with I-74 in Matthews is that it's a state highway - the town doesn't have any control over the road itself, only the development/zoning. The widening at both ends of the highway, except for the area through Matthews, which cannot be widened due to the current development, is definitely a negative for the area. Matthews is still trying to find the best way to deal with the eventual bottleneck that will occur in the main 74 corridor through Matthews, i.e., the intersection near Butler.
US-74, different than I-74.

Widening will eventually reach US-74 in Matthews, just probably not in my lifetime. For whatever reason, the Monroe Bypass will merge into 74 in Stallings, leaving that one light at Matthews Mint Hill Road (old 51) before I-485.

One of the original designs for the Monroe Bypass was to have it either continue without a traffic light to 485 or be built on a different location than the exiting US-74 and have everything merge somewhere near 485.

There's more to come before it gets better, with both the planned McKee Road extension and almost-complete Chestnut Road extension also supposed to tie in to 74.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 11,195 times
Not all renters destroy a neighborhood, some of us take alot of pride in our homes. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte