Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 30,149 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I've lived in Matthews (Winterbrooke neighborhood to be exact) for about 6-7 years. I can't put my finger on it but Matthews feels like it's changing but not in a good way. I have experienced some neighborhood graffiti, see builder-special unkept houses on Weddington road (complete with garage half way open so I can see the garage couch and a dog on a leash- keeping my eye on the care of that doggy ), people (not families) just hanging around, ugly fences, etc. - like it's getting a little trashy? Am I paranoid? Does anyone have any thoughts on Matthews for the long-haul? Does anyone else feel it or is it me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
When I ride through it looks the same to me as its always looked

Your home is in a good area with nothing near it that should cause you concern for devaluation of your property.

The only thing I can think is, maybe you are seeing a few more rental homes in your area and these folks are less interested in upkeep of the properties.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
Mint Hill has gone to crap. I imagine it has bled over into Matthews.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Mint Hill has gone to crap. I imagine it has bled over into Matthews.
How so? Do tell!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
I am terrible but the comment with the garage door half open revealing a couch and dog on the leash made me laugh.

Next thing you know, that couch will be on the front lawn....

Seriously though, I drive through Matthews all the time and hadn't noticed a change.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Thanks guys.
@Momtothree- you are right- it is kind of trashy-laughable. (I AM watching to make sure that the dog is only on that leash from time to time or I'll be on them like holy on the pope)... but it's gross- with those houses so close to the main road and so close together (I guess you can say that for most of Charlotte), people walking on the roads, ugly fences going up, there is also low income coming (this is coming from someone who was raised super low income) so I'm not a class-ist, I'm a realist. Thank goodness that the 495 interchange that was scheduled for Weddington Road is on hold indefinitely- that would be been curtains for Winterbrooke at least.

OK- so maybe it's my imagination. I AM still curious to see if anyone who is living here and not just driving through noticed anything.

Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How so? Do tell!
Take the Farmwood neighborhood as an example. Stale/stagnant property values with Invitation homes owning 11 plus properties now in there and turning them into rentals.

Mint Hill hasn't seen much major development in ages and the Bridges still hasn't been completed. Other sides of town have been flourishing, but Mint Hill has languished for years now.

Also the town finances don't look so hot!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:02 AM

60 posts, read 158,438 times
I recently saw a "House Hunters" (HGTV) featuring Charlotte and specifically Matthews. It was the most obnoxious couple I had ever seen on this show. Two people and a dog and they required more than 3,000 square feet, 3+ bathrooms and a pool (for the dog.) I'd fear people like this coming into my town more than what you are seeing - lol. Joking aside, I look forward to visiting Matthews when we come down to scope out a place to live.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:16 AM

if I had a dog, i'd get him a pool lol

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,844 times
Default "the only constant..."

"The only constant in the universe is change."

When we don't engineer positive change, negative change gradually occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte