Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
What is your method?

Easy. I just call, complain about how new customers get it for free and tell them that without Sunday Ticket, there is no need for my to be a DirecTV customer. This works every year although I am sure it helps that I have been a customer for about 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 PM

444 posts, read 582,439 times
When I moved into Charlotte I was excited to hear TWC access was a part of my rent...until I learned it was a scam. I was charged $40/mo for basic channel access, on top of the $100+ for the box, internet, and services through TWC. So, I paid TWC full price plus $40. I of course opened my mouth and was treated as if I was being rude. LOL...as usual...truth hurts sweet-heart.

TWC has a monopoly in Charlotte. I am now with DirectTV and a non-TWC internet and couldn't be happier...buyer beware, avoid the local TWC scams...PS Tom Tillis is friends w/ TWC:

Time Warner Cable's "Empty Chair" Political Stunt Boosts Tillis Campaign With Phony Debate Scandal | Blog | Media Matters for America

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM

60 posts, read 89,949 times
Trust me... you're probably not getting Sunday Ticket free. Compare your total cost for Direct TV vs. Dish and I'm sure you are paying for it somewhat. I have their top 250 package, sports package, hopper + 2 joey boxes and pay $83.49 per month.

I have Dish and love it. We have the latest Hopper system and it is by far the best DVR / Whole Home system I have had. I have had cable providers and U-Verse previously. I compared the features and cost of Dish vs. Direct TV and dish wins hands down. With Sling built-in.. I have streamed direct from my DVR to phone, laptop, and tablet any live TV i want or anything recorded on my DVR.

So Dish does not have Sunday ticket.. but I have found NFL Redzone to be a good alternative. I see all the important action in every game if I like.

If you do choose Dish, PM me and you can get $50 off your first bill with a refer-a-friend certificate...

====

For Internet... Time Warner (in Huntersville). Phone I have an Obi100, buy from amazon for under $40 and connect to numerous supported VoIP providers.. or go cheap like me and connect to Google Voice for free.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbj123 View Post
.... I have their top 250 package, sports package, hopper + 2 joey boxes and pay $83.49 per month......
You might mention this is a promotional rate with a required contract with rather draconian cancellation terms.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 AM

60 posts, read 89,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You might mention this is a promotional rate with a required contract with rather draconian cancellation terms.
Yes, like every provider, they have Promo rates that do expire.

Once they expire, my bill would be about $120. To truly compare costs you need to examine costs over two years. I did this and Dish still came out way on top compared to my other options.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
I have Dish and love it. We have the latest Hopper system and it is by far the best DVR / Whole Home system I have had. I have had cable providers and U-Verse previously. I compared the features and cost of Dish vs. Direct TV and dish wins hands down. With Sling built-in.. I have streamed direct from my DVR to phone, laptop, and tablet any live TV i want or anything recorded on my DVR.

Yes, like every provider, they have Promo rates that do expire.

Once they expire, my bill would be about $120. To truly compare costs you need to examine costs over two years. I did this and Dish still came out way on top compared to my other options.

The Direct TV genie system is comparable to what you described as the Hopper. If Sling is where you can watch programming on Direct TV on any device that can pick up the wifi Media Share drive, we have that too. It's not streamed though, you just log into it and view what you want. We also can watch apps using the genie boxes. So you don't have to buy a Smart TV, it's built into the boxes. (kids love this option)

I pay for 5 TV's, whole house DVR, On Demand, Protection plan that covers anything that can be used to watch Direct TV (optional), I pay $120 and no contract.

I had Dish and never again for me personally. But glad it's great for you!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
Quote:
Trust me... you're probably not getting Sunday Ticket free. Compare your total cost for Direct TV vs. Dish and I'm sure you are paying for it somewhat. I have their top 250 package, sports package, hopper + 2 joey boxes and pay $83.49 per month.

So Dish does not have Sunday ticket.. but I have found NFL Redzone to be a good alternative. I see all the important action in every game if I like.

If you do choose Dish, PM me and you can get $50 off your first bill with a refer-a-friend certificate...

====

For Internet... Time Warner (in Huntersville). Phone I have an Obi100, buy from amazon for under $40 and connect to numerous supported VoIP providers.. or go cheap like me and connect to Google Voice for free.

I am getting it for free. In addition to not paying for Sunday Ticket, I also talk them into cutting a better deal on my package and get free movies channels from them.

I have their Choice Extra package, free Starz and Showtime, and Sunday Ticket for a total $83 and change so my bill ends up cheaper than bill of a new customer.

I haven't upgraded to there Genie but what I do have is four HD whole home DVRs so I can record eight shows at one time if I wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte