Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 11,877 times

Advertisements

Just spent a long weekend in Charlotte and had a few questions. It's a really beautiful city and I enjoyed my time there very much.

What's the deal with light rail tickets? Does anyone ever actually check them? I bought tickets two days and it felt like a waste of money. Also, does it get really crowded during the commute? I only used it off hours but it didn't seem like there was very much seating.

Is it always so quiet? Maybe I'm just used to Philadelphia but it was very eerie to walk around and be able to hear my own thoughts.

Has there been a recent economic explosion there? Everything seemed brand new. The city looks like it was built yesterday, especially all those new complexes along the light rail on the south end. I also liked how the skyline seemed planned.

Is there always so much traffic on 77?

Do bars near the stadium serve alcohol before noon on Panther game days? I was under the impression that they legally could not, but I got to a place right around noon and it looked like quite a few people already had drinks in hand. On that note, is there any chance of blue laws changing our going away in NC in the not too distant future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
No booze before noon on Sundays. State law.

The new buildings along the light rail are there because of the light rail. Real estate through there is hot right now and there really aren't too many more places downtown to build without a huge price tag.

77 sucks. Yes, the traffic is always heavy. Sometime you'll get lucky and get up or down 77 with minimal fuss but there are the spots where it always slows some, to a stop during rush hour.

As for being quiet I don't know what to say. Same for the light rail tickets.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 AM

207 posts, read 354,962 times
There are light rail enforcement officers on trains randomly. Mostly from Carson to Transit Center downtown. Saturday and Sunday daylight hours are sparse on the street downtown other than bus station and event locations. Yes, much has been built since 1980's, again downtown. If you were there Panther gameday there was certainly a crowd all through the area. I rode my bike around the downtown area Sunday morning and the action was regular everywhere and intense closer to the stadium. Certainly not like Philly on game day, with all that entails.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:45 AM

140 posts, read 170,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socallmejaybee View Post
Is it always so quiet? Maybe I'm just used to Philadelphia but it was very eerie to walk around and be able to hear my own thoughts.
It's a pretty quite area of town, aside from business hours and in close proximity to a social gathering.
Sometimes there are festivals or special events uptown, but in general, we don't have the same sort of general/constant pedestrian traffic that other larger cities have. The biggest uptown foot traffic would be sporting events (football, basketball, baseball).

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 11,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstania View Post
It's a pretty quite area of town, aside from business hours and in close proximity to a social gathering.
Sometimes there are festivals or special events uptown, but in general, we don't have the same sort of general/constant pedestrian traffic that other larger cities have. The biggest uptown foot traffic would be sporting events (football, basketball, baseball).
Good to know. It was lovely waking around the 3rd and 4th ward without having to worry about being run over by taxis and bike messengers. With the lack of traffic and long lights, I feel like I didn't have to wait to cross the street even once.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM

88 posts, read 129,791 times
Moved here from NYC. It is quiet, esp on the weekend days. Nobody really comes into the city except for an event, especially since there is no shopping.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:49 PM

363 posts, read 445,265 times
I live Uptown.. its a little slow, especially in the mornings compared to many more urban cities. Tryon/College Street between 3rd and 7th and generally where most of the activity is. Once some of these new housing developments get built, I imagine the influx of people will make it a little busier.

As far as economic explosion.. not sure I'd call it that, but the city has had one of the highest growth rates since the 80s.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:55 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,543 times
I pretty much forget that 77 exists. It's dangerous to merge into, often backed up.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:44 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,425 times
Everything looks brand new because of all the "refreshing" and building they did before the Democratic National Convention came to town. Looks pretty nice. (Not that it looked bad before -- Charlotte is one of the cleanest cities I've ever seen.)

Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 PM

343 posts, read 686,644 times
Red face Really nothing to compare to NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
Moved here from NYC. It is quiet, esp on the weekend days. Nobody really comes into the city except for an event, especially since there is no shopping.
In NYC you are in the city when you go there. In a place like Charlotte or Atlanta you don't go to the city. You go to the subs of these type cities. I wish it was like NYC but, nothing's up there unless you work up there or have an event.
I know people live up there but they must sit in their apartments and talk about how cool it is to live in the city and then get in their car and drive somewhere to go do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte