Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
The last article I read in the paper about it said that Mooresville was ranked number one and was the only school in the state in which 80%+ of the students passed the EOG tests. I can't find anything online stating the same thing but that is what I recently read so...............
I was intrigued and couldn't find anything either. Lovesmountain had the most current rankings correct as of Sept 2014. I did find the below:

Maybe you read this?

Excerpt:
MGSD #1 in North Carolina for AMO targets met and #1 in North Carolina for Grade 3 Proficiency!

There is more info on AMO Targets:

Definition of AMOs
Annual Measureable Objectives (AMOs) is defined as a series of performance targets that states,
school districts, and specific subgroups within their schools must achieve each year to meet the
requirements of No Child Left Behind (NCLB). In each public school and Local Education Agency
(LEA) in North Carolina, the ten student subgroups are:
1. School as a whole (all students);
2. American Indian;
3. Asian;
4. Black;
5. Hispanic;
6. Two or More Races;
7. White;
8. Economically Disadvantaged Students (Based on Child Nutrition data files submitted in
accordance with a Memorandum of Agreement);
9. Limited English Proficient (LEP); and, NCDPI/Accountability Services 2 August 2, 2012
10. Students with Disabilities (SWD) (based on the April 1 Headcount of Exceptional Children
collected via CECAS).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:59 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,129 times
What's wrong with Huntersville or Charlotte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1735 View Post
I'm sorry ... Overwhelmed is an understatement lol. The job will be in downtown Charlotte (uptown?). We are still deciding between new construction or an older home and would like to be about $220k. Large Hispanic population isn't important, but good to hear people are welcoming.
That's great to hear about the schools. That really is my main focus, I don't mind a longer commute if it means better schools. Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,349 times
I read something similar. Not necessarily that Mooresville had the number one elementary, but that the school district itself was ranked number one in the state. Either way, based on what I've resd that's the school district that seems to be at least top notch 😃

Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 9,349 times
Huntersville is where we started our research but schools seem to be hit or miss based on the ratings. I also read school boundaries are frequently changed. Does anyone know about this?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
I read something similar. Not necessarily that Mooresville had the number one elementary, but that the school district itself was ranked number one in the state. Either way, based on what I've resd that's the school district that seems to be at least top notch ��
Sorry, again that is not correct, but I have figured out the confusion...

Mooresville was listed recently as having the best school district IN THE CHARLOTTE METRO AREA, not in the state

School Systems in Charlotte NC Area - Top Districts

Mooresville appears to have 2 elementary schools and 2 high schools in the top 100 in the state.

Maybe these links will help:

Best High Schools in Charlotte NC Area

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Best Schools in North Carolina - NC School Rankings

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, again that is not correct, but I have figured out the confusion...

Mooresville was listed recently as having the best school district IN THE CHARLOTTE METRO AREA, not in the state

School Systems in Charlotte NC Area - Top Districts

Mooresville appears to have 2 elementary schools and 2 high schools in the top 100 in the state.

Maybe these links will help:

Best High Schools in Charlotte NC Area

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Best Schools in North Carolina - NC School Rankings

I'm guessing that is what I read and incorrectly remembered it saying state when it was only on our area.

Either way, the schools are amazing here and we are very happy with them.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I'm guessing that is what I read and incorrectly remembered it saying state when it was only on our area.

Either way, the schools are amazing here and we are very happy with them.
Everyone I know in Mooresville loves their schools!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Mooresville is also technically part of two "districts." The East side of Mooresville is part of the Mooresville Graded School District and there is really only one HS in the "district," so I think that's why it usually gets high ratings as a district as a whole (because it is being compared to other county-wide districts which often have some good schools and some not so great schools) and why you should be safe from redistricting. The west side is part of Iredell-Statesville Schools, so I'm not sure if you might have some redistricting concerns there.

Mooresville is a nice area and you should be able to find something in your budget, but it is not a particularly easy commute to Charlotte.

Fort Mill is growing fast, and may have some redistricting issues eventually, but I think at least right now most of the schools in the area are considered to be good so it seems like the thinking is if you're redistricted you should get redistricted from one good school to another. In some of the other districts which are county-wide (with Union of course being the most recent example), you have the risk of being redistricted to a school most consider good to a school most consider not to be good (but as has been shown in that thread, some of that is up for interpretation).

In Mecklenburg County (including the towns you mentioned of Huntersville/Matthews/Mint Hill), there actually hasn't been much rezoning recently, although of course that doesn't mean it won't happen. I live in the Mint Hill area and I have a feeling the boundaries for Rocky River/Independence HS's will change at some point because the lines for Rocky River in particular seem strange. But to be honest most people don't consider those schools to be that great anyway.

In Huntersville/Cornelius, there was a new HS built a couple years ago (Hough) and it seems like the areas zoned there (the more northern side of Huntersville) have better ratings, although I think one of the other HS's in Huntersville (Hopewell) has made some rankings as saying it's one of the better schools based on the socioecomonic status of the students.

So basically as I alluded to, in the Charlotte area, it seems like the areas with the highest rated schools are often just the areas with the highest household incomes, so it's sometimes up for interpretation which schools are really "the best." But because of that, in areas zoned to the highest rated schools, $220K may not get you a whole lot of house depending on how much house you need.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:44 AM

180 posts, read 345,101 times
Quote:
I'm sorry ... Overwhelmed is an understatement lol. The job will be in downtown Charlotte (uptown?). We are still deciding between new construction or an older home and would like to be about $220k. Large Hispanic population isn't important, but good to hear people are welcoming.
That's great to hear about the schools. That really is my main focus, I don't mind a longer commute if it means better schools. Thanks again.

When we were looking in August - we found that to be in one of the best school districts, we'd need a budget closer to $400K and above, but we were looking in the south Charlotte and Fort Mill area........ not sure of the housing prices in other areas though.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 AM

444 posts, read 582,439 times
Quote:
Hi all. I'm hoping I can get some insightful feedback, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the information out there. My husband and I are looking to relocate with our 8 year old son to he Charlotte area. We are familiar with Huntersville so have focused much of our search around there but have some concerns with school district and i77. We also looked at Matthews/Mint Hill but have read they have similar issues with schools being re-zoned. I don't want to buy a house based on a particular school to then have my son assigned to a different school. I was reading on Fort Mill and read the schools are superior snd don't have those boundary issues or rezoning. We will be moving from Miami so I also worry about him being accepted since we're hispanic. Any input helps at this point. Our priority is a great school district but not too far from Charlotte and not off a beaten path. We would like to be close to shopping and restaurants comparable to the Birkdale area in Huntersville. Thank you!!!

Note to original poster. You are looking for validation/confirmation that moving to NC would be the right decision. My suggestion would be to provide a list of your top priorities, needs/wants, concerns. We can then answer each of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte