Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 9,341 times

Advertisements

We want to live somewhere that there is a sense of community,family oriented, where my son can have neighborhood friends. We would like to be near to shopping and restaurants. As far as schools, a challenging curriculum with special programs/magnet with lower teacher to student ratios. Looking forward to change of seasons versus summer all year long. We don't need too much house, a 3 bedroom with the bonus room is perfect. Thank you for all the input so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:55 PM

488 posts, read 798,535 times
If you are worried about I-77 then Mooresville is out as they are even further up than those of us in Huntersville. I love Huntersville and the commute is easy to uptown. With so many new charter schools here I don't see the fuss about schools

Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1735 View Post
We want to live somewhere that there is a sense of community,family oriented, where my son can have neighborhood friends. We would like to be near to shopping and restaurants. As far as schools, a challenging curriculum with special programs/magnet with lower teacher to student ratios. Looking forward to change of seasons versus summer all year long. We don't need too much house, a 3 bedroom with the bonus room is perfect. Thank you for all the input so far.
I suggest you look at neighborhoods like Monteith, Wynfield or Vermillion in Huntersville

Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 AM

8 posts, read 9,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
If you are worried about I-77 then Mooresville is out as they are even further up than those of us in Huntersville. I love Huntersville and the commute is easy to uptown. With so many new charter schools here I don't see the fuss about schools
My son is in a charter school now. Are they difficult to get into? I know here in Miami there are usually waiting lists.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:21 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
My son is in a charter school now. Are they difficult to get into? I know here in Miami there are usually waiting lists.

The good ones are hard to get into as the waiting lists are long. Community school of Davidson usually only has openings in Kindergarten. Lake Norman charter is another one that it's hard to get into as it's very popular though it starts at 5th grade (I believe).

I had my son in a local charter last year and decided not to send him back for 1st grade. I heard that people who had put it for the lottery for their K kids were getting called with a spot once school had started.

Check into Bradford Prep as it's new this year but everyone I know that is sending their kids is very happy with it. The kids are in all different grades.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Hi all. I'm hoping I can get some insightful feedback, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the information out there. My husband and I are looking to relocate with our 8 year old son to he Charlotte area. We are familiar with Huntersville so have focused much of our search around there but have some concerns with school district and i77. We also looked at Matthews/Mint Hill but have read they have similar issues with schools being re-zoned. I don't want to buy a house based on a particular school to then have my son assigned to a different school. I was reading on Fort Mill and read the schools are superior snd don't have those boundary issues or rezoning. We will be moving from Miami so I also worry about him being accepted since we're hispanic. Any input helps at this point. Our priority is a great school district but not too far from Charlotte and not off a beaten path. We would like to be close to shopping and restaurants comparable to the Birkdale area in Huntersville. Thank you!!!
With the growth in NC, school district zones keep changing. This happens everywhere that has a decent population growth. If you want a place that will never change while he's in school, I'd move to the middle of nowhere and not anywhere around Charlotte. The districts change in the area frequently.

Quote:
We want to live somewhere that there is a sense of community,family oriented, where my son can have neighborhood friends. We would like to be near to shopping and restaurants.
Pretty much any housing development with children would be family oriented and your son would be able to have playmates. Anything in the Charlotte area will be close to shopping and restaurants.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 PM

31 posts, read 43,516 times
Default Similar question on areas to rent/buy

I have similar question the the OP but am more focused in Union County. Can anyone suggest some neighborhoods I can look into. Moving from NY Metro with young kids 4 and NB. Would like to rent in area that I would eventually buy in (6 months- year). Budget: 1600 Max for 3BD. I will be working uptown. Any advice guidance on where to look would be amazing!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz36 View Post
I have similar question the the OP but am more focused in Union County. Can anyone suggest some neighborhoods I can look into. Moving from NY Metro with young kids 4 and NB. Would like to rent in area that I would eventually buy in (6 months- year). Budget: 1600 Max for 3BD. I will be working uptown. Any advice guidance on where to look would be amazing!
Okay, you did say "any advice".... Rental homes are hard to come by and go quickly when they are in good school assignment areas. Therefore, don't waste your time looking for neighborhood recommendations. Instead, just look for rentals in Union County and take the best one you can find for your money.

Do be aware, working in uptown and living in Union County is not a great commute - 50 minutes if you are real lucky but most likely over an hour in rush hour depending on how far into Union County you are.

You can check with local rental companies like TR Lawing and Meca to see what might be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte