Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 9,349 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm hoping I can get some insightful feedback, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the information out there. My husband and I are looking to relocate with our 8 year old son to he Charlotte area. We are familiar with Huntersville so have focused much of our search around there but have some concerns with school district and i77. We also looked at Matthews/Mint Hill but have read they have similar issues with schools being re-zoned. I don't want to buy a house based on a particular school to then have my son assigned to a different school. I was reading on Fort Mill and read the schools are superior snd don't have those boundary issues or rezoning. We will be moving from Miami so I also worry about him being accepted since we're hispanic. Any input helps at this point. Our priority is a great school district but not too far from Charlotte and not off a beaten path. We would like to be close to shopping and restaurants comparable to the Birkdale area in Huntersville. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1735 View Post
Hi all. I'm hoping I can get some insightful feedback, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the information out there. My husband and I are looking to relocate with our 8 year old son to he Charlotte area. We are familiar with Huntersville so have focused much of our search around there but have some concerns with school district and i77. We also looked at Matthews/Mint Hill but have read they have similar issues with schools being re-zoned. I don't want to buy a house based on a particular school to then have my son assigned to a different school. I was reading on Fort Mill and read the schools are superior snd don't have those boundary issues or rezoning. We will be moving from Miami so I also worry about him being accepted since we're hispanic. Any input helps at this point. Our priority is a great school district but not too far from Charlotte and not off a beaten path. We would like to be close to shopping and restaurants comparable to the Birkdale area in Huntersville. Thank you!!!
You're looking all over. Where is the job?

You don't give a price-range for housing or if you want to buy or rent. Have you looked in Gaston County? Gastonia has a sizeable Puerto Rican population, if that's important to you.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 PM

625 posts, read 489,631 times
For your Fort Mill questions you should go to the York-Lancaster County forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/

I'm Hispanic and my husband is Caucasian and have found that everyone is very welcoming here. There are a lot of Hispanic families in the Charlotte area. My son's elementary school in Fort Mill is 15% Hispanic.

The area we'really in in Fort Mill is close enough to Charlotte that we can commute without much of a hassle, and far enough away from the craziness that we can enjoy our quite after work. If you want more info you can private message me.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:52 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
I agree with others, please post a price range and where the jobs will be located. That will help narrow your suggestions. And coming from Miami, I can tell you our 7 and above rated schools will be on par with the 10 rated schools in Miami. I have seen a lot of kids come from Miami as an A student and struggle here in NC schools as they are more challenging. Granted it's been 2 years since Miami but family that still live there still complain about the same things so it doesn't seem to have changed.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
If you already familiar with Huntersville, come look in Concord in western Cabarrus county. We are on the Meck/Cabarrus line and we have some good schools around(Cox Mill ES, Odell ES, Boger ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS). We aren't far from the city (about 20/25 minutes via 485/77) and we are near Concord Mills. We also have Afton Village close by which is a Birkdale Village but a bit smaller. Birkdale isn't far away either (maybe about 20/25 minutes or so).

Old 10-29-2014, 04:51 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
Mooresville has the number one ranked schools in the state and is similar to Huntersville.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Mooresville has the number one ranked schools in the state and is similar to Huntersville.
I love Mooresville, and it does have some great schools, but not the number one ranked schools.

The number one ranked elementary is in Wake County.

In fact 3 of the top 10 elementary schools are in south Charlotte.

The top 15 high schools in the state include several in Charlotte.

Just stating for accuracy.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1735 View Post
It would be hard to give you exact recommendations without knowing your job location(s) and your budget

Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 9,349 times
I'm sorry ... Overwhelmed is an understatement lol. The job will be in downtown Charlotte (uptown?). We are still deciding between new construction or an older home and would like to be about $220k. Large Hispanic population isn't important, but good to hear people are welcoming.
That's great to hear about the schools. That really is my main focus, I don't mind a longer commute if it means better schools. Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:17 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I love Mooresville, and it does have some great schools, but not the number one ranked schools.

The number one ranked elementary is in Wake County.

In fact 3 of the top 10 elementary schools are in south Charlotte.

The top 15 high schools in the state include several in Charlotte.

Just stating for accuracy.

The last article I read in the paper about it said that Mooresville was ranked number one and was the only school in the state in which 80%+ of the students passed the EOG tests. I can't find anything online stating the same thing but that is what I recently read so...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte