Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
its not segregation. its a fact that people would rather live in places that feel familiar to them and where they are comfortable. its just human nature. would you want to live in a city that was mostly composed of people of a different ethnic background than yourself? i would imagine that that you would feel "lonely" and uncomfortable. i'm not saying that people should be pushed into a corner with only one race of people living there. I'm saying that the city shuld make it to where that its residences are comfortable. also i have read many blogs about how black owned bars/ clubs restaurants do horrible in Charlotte because they dont attract white clientele. ive seen cases of several black owned businesses in uptown fail because they didnt get the traffic. in other words white people don't frequent these places. So if there was an business district within a area with more black residence black business would thrive. and the same goes for Latino and asian owned businesses .
There is nothing to stop black businesses from opening in predominantly black areas.

I'm white. I don't care who owns a business. If it caters to everyone I'll go there. If it is ethnic I'll still go as long as I'm not made to feel like I'm not wanted as a customer. Where I used to live, I regularly shopped in 2 Asian supermarkets. Other whites shopped in them as well. They were not in ethnic neighborhoods. This is why I think that you are off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
its not segregation. its a fact that people would rather live in places that feel familiar to them and where they are comfortable. its just human nature. would you want to live in a city that was mostly composed of people of a different ethnic background than yourself? i would imagine that that you would feel "lonely" and uncomfortable. i'm not saying that people should be pushed into a corner with only one race of people living there. I'm saying that the city shuld make it to where that its residences are comfortable. also i have read many blogs about how black owned bars/ clubs restaurants do horrible in Charlotte because they dont attract white clientele. ive seen cases of several black owned businesses in uptown fail because they didnt get the traffic. in other words white people don't frequent these places. So if there was an business district within a area with more black residence black business would thrive. and the same goes for Latino and asian owned businesses .
Then Charlotte isn't the right place for them. I'm not saying I don't want them here, but if they don't like Charlotte them don't come. I like Charlotte and don't wish to see it change. I've witnessed Miami change drastically and left for that reason. I made my way here and love it. If I didn't like I would move on. Not try and make the city suit me.

I'm not white and a rarity in my area where I live. I am just fine with it.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 PM

444 posts, read 582,439 times
Quote:
i mean in the terms of the education system. I am fully aware that Charlotte is mostly family oriented. but when it comes to people looking for great top of the line or even a decent school system the Charlotte area dont fit the bill.
You people segregate yourselves just as much as everyone else (barber shops, churches, nightclubs, bars, etc). Why don't you try to live a health life, finish school, get a college degree, and apply to some of the better employers in town instead of being a bus driver or security guard. Another typical person wanting a handout. When is the next Moral Monday?

this is such nonsense and don't even know where to begin.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There is nothing to stop black businesses from opening in predominantly black areas.

I'm white. I don't care who owns a business. If it caters to everyone I'll go there. If it is ethnic I'll still go as long as I'm not made to feel like I'm not wanted as a customer. Where I used to live, I regularly shopped in 2 Asian supermarkets. Other whites shopped in them as well. They were not in ethnic neighborhoods. This is why I think that you are off base.
and yes, you are not wanted in the black establishments just as much as they don't want trouble markers in middle-class establishments.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:10 PM

571 posts, read 716,062 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that the city segregate people? That's what it sounds like to me.
That's totally what I'm reading, too. I thought the OP was trolling because this reads like a joke. Ethnic neighborhoods have traditionally been places where new immigrants settle, where they can find a sense of the familiar (instead of complete culture shock) as they try to integrate into their new country. But a generation or two later, their descendants become absorbed into mainstream society. I lived in DC for a long time. Many different cultures are represented there, but for the most part they aren't segregated. While there is a Chinatown, very few Chinese are left in that neighborhood. What used to be the LGBT neighborhood is now mixed, and LGBT clubs can be found in various parts of the city, and many of the clubs now are mixed, straight and LGBT. If you want great Turkish food, you don't go to a Turkish neighborhood, you go to the Adams Morgan neighborhood, not because it's a Turkish neighborhood (it's not), but because it's an area that has organically developed into hotspot for all kinds of ethnic food. Want good Thai food? Middle Eastern? Brazilian? French? Ethiopian? It's all there in Adams Morgan. It's a one stop shop. The people who run those restaurants are of all those respective ethnic groups, but they don't necessarily feel like they have to live and work in neighborhoods with only people of their own ethnicity. And for the consumer, that works out well because all this diversity can be found in a single neighborhood.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
and yes, you are not wanted in the black establishments just as much as they don't want trouble markers in middle-class establishments.
I have shopped in black establishments & returned by choice. I have shopped in a wide variety of ethnic establishments multiple times. We know that you do not like this area. You've made that abundantly clear. You are now crossing into another area. I think that the OP is off base. I think that you are about to cross a line.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Quote:
We all know that Charlotte is a Great city it it has many things to offer. However it lacks Culture and overall a feel in ethic diversity. Charlotte seams to be a segregated city. meaning that there isn't alot of mingling between races. I have read in many places that Charlotte lacks support of the African-American community. people have pointed out that Charlotte has no "Black Neighborhoods" like larger cities DC, NYC,Atlanta New Orlands. I Have researched and found that there used to be a epicenter for black Owned businesses and Community. It was Called Brooklyn, it was described to be a City within a city. It was the place where all the black people of Charlotte lived worked and went to school. But back in the 80's the city planning committee decided to relocate its residence and level the neighborhood as apart of the Urban Restoration program. but of course they never rebuilt the areas where the black owned businesses and families could return. the area is now what is known as the 2nd ward. I think that in all of its expanding the City has forgotten about the regular everyday person of every color. I have noticed that many of the places in Charlotte are on the higher end or Rent. If Charlotte wants to become a mega-City like Atlanta it has to remember that there has to be affordable areas that the everyday resident can afford to live. also the city need to figure out how it will bring people of major Demographics (African-American, Latino, Young, LGBT, Asian) in large numbers to sustain the growth of the city. And i think that the answer all lies in West-Charlotte. I was Looking on Google Earth and it looks as if Charlotte is expanding north along Tryon rd. which is logical because of the popular neighborhoods like Noda and the university area. with the largely undeveloped land in north Charlotte it is a logical move. However it doesn't look like they are expanding west. it would be my advice that they should develop West-Charlotte as a housing area with their own local Business districts. The Area West of Uptown is large enough to divide it into multiple Neighborhoods. They could dedicate an area for African Americans and another for Latinos and they will still have enough room for a sizable "Gayborhood". I know that Charlotte Hosts a Pride Celebration, but Charlotte still needs a area where the LGBT Community can live that will have Gay-friendly Restaurants, Bars, and Businesses. Also this will allow the numerous gay clubs in Charlotte to relocate to one area so LGBT People wont have to drive long distances to go to LGBT Clubs and events like Drag shows and House Balls. I think that the First thing Charlotte can do to Bring people to these Neighborhoods is to Donate money to the HBCU(Historically black College) Johnson C. Smith University. with the donation Johnson C. Smith University Can Build more Dorms and Expand their Performance Arts Program because Charlotte is supposed to be a city of The Arts they can also Expand their STEM Program. Currently Johnson C. Smith University Only has Arox. 2,000 students. They should Expand it to where it will be able to house and educate Aprox. 10,000 students which is the Same number that NC A&T houses. Investing in Johnson C. Smith University will Bring a huge number of African-Americans to the immediate area. Because JCSU is already in a Black Neighborhood all they will have to do is develop the surrounding area to tailor to the College students. and then radiate from there to create the Black neighborhood. when they are developing this area they have to make sure that the housing in West-Charlotte is affordable for the average person. but also it has to be planned and organized to a way it doesn't look trashy. what are ya'll opinions? and input.

The paragraph key is your friend.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Default so what

Quote:
I have shopped in black establishments & returned by choice. I have shopped in a wide variety of ethnic establishments multiple times. We know that you do not like this area. You've made that abundantly clear. You are now crossing into another area. I think that the OP is off base. I think that you are about to cross a line.
good for you

Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
That's totally what I'm reading, too. I thought the OP was trolling because this reads like a joke. Ethnic neighborhoods have traditionally been places where new immigrants settle, where they can find a sense of the familiar (instead of complete culture shock) as they try to integrate into their new country. But a generation or two later, their descendants become absorbed into mainstream society. I lived in DC for a long time. Many different cultures are represented there, but for the most part they aren't segregated. While there is a Chinatown, very few Chinese are left in that neighborhood. What used to be the LGBT neighborhood is now mixed, and LGBT clubs can be found in various parts of the city, and many of the clubs now are mixed, straight and LGBT. If you want great Turkish food, you don't go to a Turkish neighborhood, you go to the Adams Morgan neighborhood, not because it's a Turkish neighborhood (it's not), but because it's an area that has organically developed into hotspot for all kinds of ethnic food. Want good Thai food? Middle Eastern? Brazilian? French? Ethiopian? It's all there in Adams Morgan. It's a one stop shop. The people who run those restaurants are of all those respective ethnic groups, but they don't necessarily feel like they have to live and work in neighborhoods with only people of their own ethnicity. And for the consumer, that works out well because all this diversity can be found in a single neighborhood.
I know what you mean. Chinatown in Philly is still where immigrants from China settle before they move out to other parts of the city or the burbs. You certainly are welcome in the shops & restaurants regardless of your race or ethnic background. It doesn't mean that there aren't Asian establishments elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The paragraph key is your friend.
Amen. I read as much of that harangue as my eyes could stand then stopped. The OP sounds as if they don't live in Charlotte, or if he/she does, doesn't know anything about the city. i.e. It's bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte