Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
"...people have pointed out that Charlotte has no "Black Neighborhoods" like larger cities DC, NYC,Atlanta New Orlands..."

You've never visited the west side of Charlotte or visited Grier Heights or Hidden Forest (or is it Valley?). There are lots of black neighborhoods. If you live in Ballantyne or Cornelius, you might get the impression that this is an all-white city. It isn't.

I know what you mean about the feel of a really diverse city, but you won't get the diversity that you see in the northeastern part of the U.S. because Charlotte is a new city. I grew up back east in a a very old neighborhood that was first settled by Italian and European Jews. It was great. The food was great. We had block parties, rent parties (for people who were in financial trouble). Whatta mix: Jews and Italian Catholics. We got along like champs.

We watched out for each other. Italian grannies and Jewish mothers are a formidable bunch. We were the Kosher Nostra.

Give Charlotte another 100 years and an equal number of years of prosperity. You can't force diversity.
Doesn't sound all that diverse to me. In my experiences, northeastern cities are extremely segregated, especially black and white people, much more so than down south. Did any black people live in your "great" neighborhood or allowed to walk down the block? That has changed some due to gentrification in some areas.

Charlotte city proper is 35% African American or approx. 280,000 people. There are plenty of black and mixed neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:49 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
We all know that Charlotte is a Great city it it has many things to offer. However it lacks Culture and overall a feel in ethic diversity. Charlotte seams to be a segregated city. meaning that there isn't alot of mingling between races. I have read in many places that Charlotte lacks support of the African-American community. people have pointed out that Charlotte has no "Black Neighborhoods" like larger cities DC, NYC,Atlanta New Orlands. .
You are kidding, right? You can't find ethic diverse areas in Charlotte. FYI- recent census bureau report indicated that Charlotte's population is now majority Black!!!! Lesbian, gay communities, this is not San Fran - sorry, but if you can't find gay people to mingle with here, you have issues. Direct message Sunnykayak, he'll help lead your way. Mixed racial couples and families are everywhere here. If you are really looking for Utopia, maybe Switzerland would be better suited.

I think the internet has it's benefits, but driving around with a map and seeing with your eyes open what is out their in real life has the best impact...not looking on a LCD monitor.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Still go back to my college prof uncle lecturing at Ivy League school in New England many, many years ago.

Was confronted by his host's wife. "We don't understand why you have such racial trouble in the south. Up here, we stay on our side of town, "they" stay on theirs and we all get along fine."

We must be just a bunch of dumb southern redneck hicks, I guess.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 PM

105 posts, read 117,258 times
There is a difference between what i said and what yall are saying i said. My argument was to have blacks and other minorities to have there own Business. yess there are areas in Charlotte where blacks live. But does this area have it own local Business district or is it just a bunch or run down homes and trailers more like a Project Community? I was advocating for an area of Charlotte where people of all races white black Latino etc.. could live where it is affordable for the everyday person.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM

105 posts, read 117,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
You people segregate yourselves just as much as everyone else (barber shops, churches, nightclubs, bars, etc). Why don't you try to live a health life, finish school, get a college degree, and apply to some of the better employers in town instead of being a bus driver or security guard. Another typical person wanting a handout. When is the next Moral Monday?

this is such nonsense and don't even know where to begin.

You people? I wonder why we live separately from everyone else. its not just Black people, its latinos, Asians, LGBT, italians, Arabic etc.. they all separate. themselves Its not like white people include people who are different. First it was blacks. they were enslaved for 300+years and then had to live with Jim Crow for another 70. Then the Japanese and all Asians were persecuted during the world war. Gays have been bullied,beaten and cursed by American evangelicals. Natives have been killed, Raped and was subjected to Subjugation for as long as blacks. The Irish were Publicly Demonized. Latinos and Muslims/Arabics are now facing a Huge culture of racism Just because white america is afraid of Latinos taking their Jobs and then because of 9/11 and terrorism. America Blames a whole race of people just because of a few people decide they don't want The American Government dabbling in their Country. America has a history of hate that is continuing today. So excuse me if us people don't feel welcomed in this country.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
You people? I wonder why we live separately from everyone else. its not just Black people, its latinos, Asians, LGBT, italians, Arabic etc.. they all separate. themselves Its not like white people include people who are different. First it was blacks. they were enslaved for 300+years and then had to live with Jim Crow for another 70. Then the Japanese and all Asians were persecuted during the world war. Gays have been bullied,beaten and cursed by American evangelicals. Natives have been killed, Raped and was subjected to Subjugation for as long as blacks. The Irish were Publicly Demonized. Latinos and Muslims/Arabics are now facing a Huge culture of racism Just because white america is afraid of Latinos taking their Jobs and then because of 9/11 and terrorism. America Blames a whole race of people just because of a few people decide they don't want The American Government dabbling in their Country. America has a history of hate that is continuing today. So excuse me if us people don't feel welcomed in this country.
You do not sound like someone that would strap an AR15 around your arms and jump in a foxhole to protect your freedoms that you are enjoying today from all the sacrifices of those from the past!!! Anti-American are we?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:09 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Doesn't sound all that diverse to me. In my experiences, northeastern cities are extremely segregated, especially black and white people, much more so than down south. Did any black people live in your "great" neighborhood or allowed to walk down the block? That has changed some due to gentrification in some areas.

Charlotte city proper is 35% African American or approx. 280,000 people. There are plenty of black and mixed neighborhoods.
Ari, Baby,

You've never been to the boroughs of New York or the various counties of New Jersey, have you? Sure, there are all- black neighborhoods, just as there are all-lily white neighborhoods. There are predominantly black cities in the northeast. There are also predominantly black AND SEGREGATED cities in the south: Jackson, Mississippi; Montgomery, Alabama; New Orleans, Louisiana (pre-Katrina). I know the deep south. I did an army hitch in Fort Polk, LA, and I've traveled the gulf region extensively.

About the neighborhood I grew up in: European Jews are Armenian, Czech, German, French, Russian and several other ethnic groups. Sure, there were blacks and Puerto Ricans too. I failed to mention them. So what?

Some folks need to get over the racial thing. If one grows up rich, overprivileged, and undeserving, he might regard diversity differently from the way others do. Cultural diversity doesn't describe a mix of black and white, anglo and non-anglo. Your statement makes you sound like you bought into a stilted university indoctrination of a post-reconstruction period guilt-ridden concept of multiculturalism. You can't legislate multiculturalism, and you can't dictate multiculturalism. It is an extremely complex social phenomenon which even sociologists and economists have difficulty explaining.

You need to get out more, Ari.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte