Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:33 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times

Advertisements

The police need to use their new found toys from the Pentagon somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
We're already in a state of "national disaster"... Let's just keep pissing off the poor people, I'm sure we can just keep giving law enforcement more and more power to violate basic civil rights. What could possibly go wrong?
The thing to remember is....police officers aren't exactly "the rich people"

Seriously though, we are not exactly where we need to be on civil rights in this country, but we ARE a heck of lot further down the road to where we want to be than ever before.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would agree with this, but a lot of officers are also power trippers. What they don't get paid with in money, they take it by lording their power over the citizens.

This is a classic example - I'm sure this guy doesn't make $150 k a year, yet probably goes on a power trip every day when he goes to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZa0N79HU2Q

Old 11-14-2014, 02:20 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Seriously though, we are not exactly where we need to be on civil rights in this country, but we ARE a heck of lot further down the road to where we want to be than ever before.
Miss you loves! Glad to see your voice again.

I was being a little sarcastic, but I don't like the lean I'm seeing on certain things - for example, our LE is becoming armed like our military. The OP is notorious for race baiting, but that aside I have little doubt he'd be in support of a show of force from Ferguson Day 2 where they practically rolled tanks onto the streets.

We may be better in certain regards of civil rights, sure... But things like civil forfeiture are going the other way and getting much worse. I have a pretty standard Libertarian view when it comes to the powers we give to "protect" us. It can be a very slippery slope.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
With civic rights also comes civic responsibility. When there is a huge disconnect between the two, as is in Ferguson, then trouble comes rolling in.

It's too bad that connection, apparently, isn't being taught these days.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:37 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
This thread is an epic fail.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
The reason the thread is a fail, because some of the people cannot conceive of rioting, and others look forward to it.

Impossible to have dialogue or a meaningful conversation. Two radically different cultures, and you know what Hermann Goering said about Culture!

Old 11-14-2014, 05:59 PM

529 posts, read 1,202,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Why do you expect events there to directly lead to evets of concern here? Or was your intent here to simply light a fuse, step back and watch the comments?
Cleveland got real excited when he saw this: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...er-waxhaw.html
In disappointment, he started this thread.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:31 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
This may not be "post racial America" yet, but I think most people can separate what happens in St. Louis from what happens in Charlotte. Besides, we have our own nasty little situation here in Charlotte that hasn't been settled yet. Nobody has threatened to take to the streets over that, so why would anyone want to start something in Charlotte over something that happened in St. Louis? There's nothing to gain from it.

Charlotte may not yet be the World Class City that some want it to be, but its community and neighborhood leaders do have brains. The CMPD is sufficiently active among community associations to gauge attitudes.

Last edited by LarryBGood; 11-16-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
The FBI (which conducted an investigation at the direction of Eric Holder) has warned local and state police to be on their guard because it's LEOs who will become targets for the New Black Panther Party and some upstart "communist" or liberation wack-jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte