Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:51 AM

2,782 posts, read 5,186,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
voters tossed out the board chair, Richard Yercheck, who had led the fight for redistricting while re-electing Marce Savage, a board member who opposed the plan. In District 3, Yercheck was beaten by a 2-to-1 margin by challenger Gary Sides, who won 66 percent of the vote.
[LEFT]
Read more here: Union County: School board chair who favored redistricting loses by wide margin | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]
Majority has spoken, so what now?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,230,824 times
One thing is for sure... Union County will end up with much higher taxes. Still got the long commutes too.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 AM

398 posts, read 620,090 times
Majority has spoken in the areas everyone thought they would. What about the at large seat? That seems to me to be the true representation of the entire county. What am i missing?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 AM

398 posts, read 620,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
One thing is for sure... Union County will end up with much higher taxes. Still got the long commutes too.

You got that right. All the promises made won't come cheap. Luckily, the BOE doesn't control taxes and Stoney and Co. has said they would not raise taxes. It will be interesting.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,612,745 times
Due to all the previous Union County politics threads that resulted in outing or attacking people characters as some of those mention in prior threads are also members of this forum too.
Lets keep this thread civil.

Any posts that do not deem fit within those terms that is also outlined in the terms of service a possible infraction or ban or thread closure could be result with out warning.

I hate thread closures as I feel everyone has a right to an opinion whether agree or disagree with what is discussed
Everyone is welcome to discuss topics but we all need to respect posts and not be rude ( rude is also worthy of infraction) or in reputation and direct message.

If anyone feels a post crosses those lines please dont discuss it but privately report it by clicking icon in the upper right corner and it will be investigated.

Politics is an option that Ill allow in small segments but is not required or deem worthy of this forum as stated in the terms of service. Keep in mind this is a relocation forum so try to keep posts useful to those who desire to relocate.

Please dont discuss this post either, it would be off topic and can be done in direct message.
Thanks

Old 11-05-2014, 08:04 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,757,059 times
At large went to democrat Leslie Boyd from Monroe (who has kids in the MR school district). She is not opposed to redistricting.

The republican vote was split in the county between Maher and Rape.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,737,662 times
It will be interesting to watch. Now they will be on the receiving end of all the criticism they were so quick to dish out.

The problems with out of control growth and not enough tax revenue to build infrastructure are still going to be there along with the state and federal mandates & law that require that a public education be made to all students in UC are still there. The difference is they can't ignore these mandates, requirements, and laws now.

I'm reminded of that old adage. "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it".

Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 AM

527 posts, read 745,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Majority has spoken in the areas everyone thought they would. What about the at large seat? That seems to me to be the true representation of the entire county. What am i missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The republican vote was split in the county between Maher and Rape.
Exactly... Boyd wasn't the majority choice.

The biggest message was the beat down put on Yercheck, and I couldn't be more pleased. I hope it sends a strong message to the remaining BOE members that UC is tired of the bullying and is looking for true servant leadership.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:49 AM

527 posts, read 745,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The difference is they can't ignore these mandates, requirements, and laws now.
Like overstating capacity, ignoring facilities reports, fudging transportation efficiency numbers, lying about safety studies... are those the mandates, requirements, and laws you speak of?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:46 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,047,076 times
I don't see this vote as a mandate against the redistricting... Boyd well known to have supported the redistricting (she lives in Marvin and wanted "her schools" to get more room). She beat CAPS' anointed Maher and old school establishment Rape. I can't speak much to the Sides landslide, but Yercheck clearly has more issues than just the redistricting and I think that was more about his ego dealing with the BOCC than anything else.

4 brand new members on the BOE. Pigg didn't run, so only Yes voter replaced was Yercheck.

4 remaining members who voted FOR redistricting.

... and Savage - who will likely be censured.

Facilities committee majority remains the same, still run by Stewart. Only Pigg to be replaced.

I don't see anyone can be certain some drastic change is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte