Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 18,148 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a few good apartments in Charlotte?

I am a single female I am moving to Charlotte in September 08, from London, UK.Please any suggestion regarding renting apartment near University place and S. Tryon and near Wal-Mart stores. I am worried about the safety and public transport as I will not be immediately buying a car. So I need to use the public transport.

Last edited by mansha; 01-19-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 AM

20 posts, read 113,957 times
There are so many great apartments in the University Area. Just try to stay away from being too close to the University, where the Apt. complexes are usually filled with students. You most likely want to stay west of I-85.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
I am British nad have lived in Charlotte for over 5 years. you cannot exist within a car. That should be your first priority. Try carmax.com for, look for low mileage and go as new as you can afford. Public transport is a totally different concept here then the UK... try it for a week or so and you will understand what I'm inferring.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mansha View Post
Can anyone recommend a few good apartments in Charlotte?

I am a single female I am moving to Charlotte in September 08, from London, UK.Please any suggestion regarding renting apartment near University place and S. Tryon and near Wal-Mart stores. I am worried about the safety and public transport as I will not be immediately buying a car. So I need to use the public transport.
mansha, can you tell us where you will need to go for work or school once you move here? I do have a few suggestions for you
You can live in certain places in the city and get by without a car.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
mansha, can you tell us where you will need to go for work or school once you move here? I do have a few suggestions for you
You can live in certain places in the city and get by without a car.
I was looking to stay either to the South of charlotte or near University but now my employer Wal-Mart has changed the location to Wal-Mart located at Gastonia, which will be 15 miles WEST of Charlotte. Is west of Charlotte safe? Have you got any suggestions of good surrounding areas to rent the apartment. Please advice as now I am really concern. When I came to Charlotte I visited University place area and South area i.e Ballantyne, but I have no idea about Gastonia and West of Charlotte. I only know little bit after reading the reviews that WEST AND EAST side of Charlotte is not safe for single female. Is that right?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mansha View Post
I was looking to stay either to the South of charlotte or near University but now my employer Wal-Mart has changed the location to Wal-Mart located at Gastonia, which will be 15 miles WEST of Charlotte. Is west of Charlotte safe? Have you got any suggestions of good surrounding areas to rent the apartment. Please advice as now I am really concern. When I came to Charlotte I visited University place area and South area i.e Ballantyne, but I have no idea about Gastonia and West of Charlotte. I only know little bit after reading the reviews that WEST AND EAST side of Charlotte is not safe for single female. Is that right?
Parts of west and east Charlotte, IN THE CITY LIMITS, are areas I would not recommend for a single female to live in. But Gastonia is a whole other county west of Charlotte, not in west Charlotte - so it is okay. I would be more worried about you living in the University area and working at that WalMart than the one in Gastonia. I am not as familiar with apartments in Gastonia to be able to suggest any, sorry.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,032,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiag View Post
I am British nad have lived in Charlotte for over 5 years. you cannot exist within a car. That should be your first priority. Try carmax.com for, look for low mileage and go as new as you can afford. Public transport is a totally different concept here then the UK... try it for a week or so and you will understand what I'm inferring.
Actually yes you can, I got rid off my car when I moved here and lived for 3 months without a problem.

2 years later my wife & I still have one car.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Parts of west and east Charlotte, IN THE CITY LIMITS, are areas I would not recommend for a single female to live in. But Gastonia is a whole other county west of Charlotte, not in west Charlotte - so it is okay. I would be more worried about you living in the University area and working at that WalMart than the one in Gastonia. I am not as familiar with apartments in Gastonia to be able to suggest any, sorry.
Thanks you have been great and so helpful. Please keep in touch.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM

92 posts, read 374,085 times
You could live without a car in University, but probably not in Gastonia. Im not sure if they even have a bus system.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM

68 posts, read 284,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
You could live without a car in University, but probably not in Gastonia. Im not sure if they even have a bus system.
City of Gastonia - City Services - General Services Department - Transit Division (http://www.cityofgastonia.com/city_serv/general/transit/transit.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte