Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah that's why I also mentioned Mooresville, in particularly I believe in the Mooresville Graded School District there is only 1 HS and I don't believe that there are current plans for another.
Mooresville isn't a bad suggestion. One of the posters who lives there has mentioned a back road to I 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Hearing your scenario, and considering it is likely temporary, I would really encourage you to look at the Shamrock Gardens area. The school is really doing well and the values in the neighborhood certainly would facilitate what you're looking for. Let me share some pros and cons and hopefully you can check it out on your own.

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...Gardens_ES.pdf

Pros:
Great location for getting anywhere if you're husband's commute is ever changing.
Great location for parks/restaurants/kid friendly entertainment
Great outlook for neighborhood to continue growing in value
Relatively cheap $/ft compared to established neighborhoods
Mature trees/safe streets/large lots
The neighborhood feel of this area is real and the area is very connected
Big opportunity for renting in the future as the location is great

Cons:
Neighborhood is transitioning so not every house is perfect
some may say the school isn't as "good" as I tell you - I am warning you that you have to take advice on schools on this site with a grain of salt. Many opinions based on the "great schools" site or other sites supposedly pulling the latest info are way off base when it comes to how well a school is actually performing. Shamrock Gardens is doing great things at the moment.
The middle school and high school option are not good schools at the moment
The lots are not huge. If you want to have horses you aren't doing it here.

Can you be a little flexible on square footage? I couldn't find anything over the 2100 mark and I'm not sure what "large lot" means to you, but these are a few examples of the homes in the area I'm mentioning:

2120 Dalehurst Dr, Charlotte, NC 28205 | Zillow
2621 Hilliard Dr, Charlotte, NC 28205 | Zillow
3201 Brixton Ct, Charlotte, NC 28205 | Zillow

I know none of them meet all of your ideals, but with your price range and considering this location/school I really think these are great options. No worries of course if it's not your cup of tea. If I were you and I knew I was going to be renting/moving in the future, I would value the security of the investment more than anything. Some people like these types of updated ranches, and others prefer new construction. Either way, good luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:47 PM

68 posts, read 86,574 times
Thanks everyone, sorry for being MIA, I started a second post (my bad) bc I got the feeling that yall thought I only wanted IN Charlotte suggestions. You all have been very helpful. I understand that no one can tell the future of what HS my kids would go to 10+ years from now, I was just looking for thoughts on the whole rezoning issue, and it has been explained. Thanks.
As far as lot size it I am not looking for horses :-). I just want it to be big enough for my kids and dog to have a place to play comfortably. We are coming back to NC from Seattle so lot sizes here wont even allow room for a play house. Sqft size could come down as long as it has at least 3 bedroom and a bonus room or formal living area we can use as a bonus.
Essequamvideri I will take a look at that area thanks. So my husband just called and said that now that not only that he could be in the office in Charlotte, but also could be in the one in Huntersville. Leave it to the military to not tell us anything ahead of time, so we can have a game plan. I have looked at Mooresville and it looks nice, but I do wish it was a little closer. I really want to stay in NC as I want to go back to college to finish my masters and tuition seems to be better in NC.
I was not trying to sound picky, I know our budget isn't great for the area, but I thought it was manageable. Thanks for all the suggestions and any more input would be great. Thanks. And sorry for double posting.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:20 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
If he would aalso be in Huntersville you could look in Cabarrus County right near the Mecklenburg county line. Good schools and you could find something with a nice yard in your budget. You could look at Highland Creek, Moss Creek and the Farms at Riverpointe to name a few just to give you an idea of the area.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 PM

152 posts, read 193,473 times
You'll be able to find decent neighborhoods in Charlotte if that's really your preference. It'll take some hunting around, no blanket suggestions. Check out Touchstone or White Oak in south Charlotte, or some of the Sardis neighborhoods.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 PM

Riley09swb thanks I will defiantly take a look.
28226 are the neighborhoods safe? I see there are tons of houses in Charlotte in our price range that look nice I just have no clue if what kind of area they are in as I have no clue about the quality of areas.
I guess best bet will happen when we can get there and check it out for ourselves. It just sucks bc the military only gives us a tiny window to find a place to live.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 PM

Safe, solid schools, nice area.

Eta: there are a bunch of Sardis neighborhoods, and I can't speak for them as a whole. A few kept cropping up when I was looking last year, but I can't remember which ones. Somebody more familiar with Matthews could.

Last edited by 28226; 10-01-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 05:04 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
If the job is in Huntersville, you should live in Huntersville, or as close to it as possible. I would never live in Matthews and work in Huntersville, for example. That commute would be terrible.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
If the job is in Huntersville, you should live in Huntersville, or as close to it as possible. I would never live in Matthews and work in Huntersville, for example. That commute would be terrible.
I agree, commuting is for the birds. My suggestions are more for the other location.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Yeah I think I will research both areas that way I will be familiar when they tell us which office he will be working out of. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte