Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
You keep referring to the population of areas, yes it has grown in population.
The point of the entire thread is: Mecklenburg County builds housing developments and not urban living. Outside of the 277 loop the city has not grown in size. It has only grown into a big suburban sprawl; gutting trees and building cheap houses. That has increased the population, yes, but not the size of the 277 loop that contains the city.

And someone already told you, the county hasn't been able to control zoning since 1996. And of course it has "urban sprawl" .... Mecklenburg County is a large county. Just like everywhere else.
Name a metro close to our size that isn't mostly suburbs. You can't because it doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
The point of the entire thread is: Mecklenburg County builds housing developments and not urban living. Outside of the 277 loop the city has not grown in size. It has only grown into a big suburban sprawl; gutting trees and building cheap houses. That has increased the population, yes, but not the size of the 277 loop that contains the city.
Are you sure about this? Do you know every development that as occurred outside of Uptown and you know for a fact that they are all suburban in nature? I would find this very surprising and hard to believe. The trend everywhere now is for more sustainable development - even in the suburbs - and Charlotte is no exception.

It sounds like you're just posting what you think is happening but don't have any idea whether it's factual.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 AM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Wow. Just how do you expect grow the size of an area that is physically contained by the 277 loop???

And if you've been in areas like Midtown and South End (which are outside of the 277 loop), you would know that there is plenty of growth that isn't suburban sprawl - but actually adding a lot of density. It may be ugly and lacking much character, but it is definitely not sprawl.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:36 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Lol....I take it the thousands of apartments that are being built outside 277 are just for show only. Must be casper and friends thats fueling the construction for them. Anyways please continue because this is funny lol

Old 02-12-2016, 07:52 AM

164 posts, read 188,276 times
I think you need to move to a small town. If, say, we double the spacing of all homes that means the footprint of suburban Charlotte would double, resulting in longer commutes, more energy consumption, and more distant neighbors. If we eliminated big box stores in favor of mom & pop shops this would mean much higher consumer prices and many more trips because smaller shops simply can't carry the inventory of big box stores. So, your idyllic Charlotte would become an unworkable, expensive consumer and commuter nightmare. Better for you to move to a small town. I hope you find what you like.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Quote:
Why does Mecklenburg County still allow these 1992 type of developers to still gut the land and build cookie cutter developments?
Is there another way to build that isn't so ugly? Surely there is another way? This is happening all over Mecklenburg County. Are the developers paying off someone to not stop this?

This is one of the biggest reasons I can't wait to get out of here. It creates a horrible looking County.

This is from 2008 and it seems to be continuing:
Group aims to restore shrinking city tree canopy | PlanCharlotte.org | UNC Charlotte

There have been several permutations of this question in this forum.

The subtext to this question is:

"Why isn't everyone required to live in an overpriced half-million dollar home like me? I'm really scared of the unwashed masses who can't afford a new car, live in small houses and who work in the strip malls that exist for the convenience of people (like me) who live in exclusive gated communities."

That's what I get from the question.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Larry's right!

There's a lot of snobbery on this forum whether talking about schools, houses, culture or lifestyle in general.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:07 AM

436 posts, read 445,774 times
Quote:
Why does Mecklenburg County still allow these 1992 type of developers to still gut the land and build cookie cutter developments?
Is there another way to build that isn't so ugly? Surely there is another way? This is happening all over Mecklenburg County. Are the developers paying off someone to not stop this?

This is one of the biggest reasons I can't wait to get out of here. It creates a horrible looking County.

This is from 2008 and it seems to be continuing:
Group aims to restore shrinking city tree canopy | PlanCharlotte.org | UNC Charlotte

You should visit London, Paris, or other cities where dwellings practically all look the same. You can walk block after block and the only difference is the house numbers. A builder should be able to build what he wants just so it isn't offensive, distorts the architectural integrity of the existing area, or is unsafe. Is there some hidden law that says that styles must update every so often? I don't care for "cookie cutter" houses, but as long as people buy them and builders build them in this booming area, we are stuck. You know you don't have to live in one and there are plenty of other options. In regards to the photo that you attached, it looks like California, a true nightmare in most places. No trees or natural beauty, just cookie cutter homes in much of the area.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM

436 posts, read 445,774 times
Quote:
I have lived all over, Alaska, Caribbean, England, NJ, Chicago, Charlotte (second go around here) and more. From Asheville originally. I have a lot to compare Charlotte too. I have a good idea what we are looking for. I know it's not Charlotte.

I don't believe it. If you had lived in England, much of NJ, and Chicago, you would have known that there are tons of houses that look exactly the same and haven't changed looks in decades. I lived in England longer than you. Yea, Alaska is a real good comparison. LOL!! Are you thinking igloo? After reading some of your postings, the works "silly ninny" comes to mind (a popular English description.)

Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
There have been several permutations of this question in this forum.

The subtext to this question is:

"Why isn't everyone required to live in an overpriced half-million dollar home like me? I'm really scared of the unwashed masses who can't afford a new car, live in small houses and who work in the strip malls that exist for the convenience of people (like me) who live in exclusive gated communities."

That's what I get from the question.
+5
Can't rep you again. That's exactly how I read it. Custom builds are not affordable to most people. Funny thing is that there's plenty of what he/she claims to want in towns west of Charlotte but he/she would turn up his/her nose because they don't come with a ritzy mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte