Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
It blows my mind. Durham got I-85 widened. Raleigh got I-40 widened west to I-85 and the eastern section is being widened now. Raleigh got a beltway that will be 6 lanes. Raleigh is getting a new interstate from Norfolk to Raleigh. Also, several (at least 3 ) highways have been converted to limited access freeways on Raleigh's far east side beyond I-95. All of this with only one small toll on Raleigh's beltway. W-S and Greensboro have got 2 new interstates I-73 and I-74 along with a new I-40 Bypass. W-S and Greensboro are getting new northern legs of a beltway. Plus I think US 29 north of Greensboro is being upgraded to an interstate. Plus US 52 from Lexington to W-S is being upgraded to I-295. Here in Charlotte we did get I-85 upgraded. But we will have the express toll lanes on I-77 north, Independence Blvd/Frwy, I485 from I77 to Independence, I-77 south may be express toll lanes when upgraded, and the Monroe Bypass will be a tollway. It seems we are getting screwed.
US-29 from I-40/I-85 in Greensboro to Danville VA is supposed to become I-785 eventually. However, there are no projects slated to upgrade US-29 north of Greensboro. I also don't think you'll be seeing any more money go towards I-73 once the current I-73 construction project north of Greensboro wraps up. Virginia recently killed I-73, so I don't see NCDOT building any more extensions of I-73 towards a state that has zero interest in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 AM

385 posts, read 730,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
It blows my mind. Durham got I-85 widened. Raleigh got I-40 widened west to I-85 and the eastern section is being widened now. Raleigh got a beltway that will be 6 lanes. Raleigh is getting a new interstate from Norfolk to Raleigh. Also, several (at least 3 ) highways have been converted to limited access freeways on Raleigh's far east side beyond I-95. All of this with only one small toll on Raleigh's beltway. W-S and Greensboro have got 2 new interstates I-73 and I-74 along with a new I-40 Bypass. W-S and Greensboro are getting new northern legs of a beltway. Plus I think US 29 north of Greensboro is being upgraded to an interstate. Plus US 52 from Lexington to W-S is being upgraded to I-295. Here in Charlotte we did get I-85 upgraded. But we will have the express toll lanes on I-77 north, Independence Blvd/Frwy, I485 from I77 to Independence, I-77 south may be express toll lanes when upgraded, and the Monroe Bypass will be a tollway. It seems we are getting screwed.
In my eastern North Carolina accent- while holding my cigar- I say son, we need foh(four) lanes from Capital City to our hog fahms!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM

601 posts, read 964,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
If you don't like sitting in congestion on I 77 you should hope this deal is cancelled. It is built on the contractual agreement, and premise, of 50 years of gridlock.

I am hoping this reignites support for the Red Line and we get lanes too. The shady methodology NCDOT used to determine merit was politically tainted. I hope someone in Raleigh will fight to get the type of infrastructure funding this roadway deserves.
It won't. It will now have to compete with other transit projects in the Charlotte region for funding. The southern section of I-77 from Uptown to the SC border was slated to begin in 2025, with construction and ROW costs ballooning over $1 billion. Because that project has been partially funded, and should be completely funded with the next STIP, the northern section might not see construction until at least 2030.

They will likely have to split the project up into smaller pieces. It might be a good idea to push for the sections of I-77 north of I-485 to be widened first, since at least the section south of I-485 to Uptown is eight lanes.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM

372 posts, read 723,822 times
Well,

This just got interesting all over again.

Looks like someone's mayor just threw quite a few under the bus.

Renegade mayor: Travis lobbies for tolls in Raleigh; Commissioners call his comments ‘inaccurate’

In defiance of the Cornelius Town Board, Mayor Chuck Travis has met with NC Sen. Philip Berger in Raleigh to argue in favor of the Public Private Partnership that is building toll lanes between Lake Norman and Charlotte.

Travis, who lobbied against HB-954—the anti-toll legislation that passed overwhelmingly in the NC House June 2—met with the leader of the Senate in lockstep with Mayor John Woods of Davidson, according to other legislators who were in the room. Meanwhile, Huntersville Mayor John Aneralla says he was excluded from the meeting. Aneralla, along with his Town Board, have lined up against the $650 million toll project.

The Cornelius Town Board in essence censured Mayor Travis back in December when they unanimously passed a resolution that stated “any opinions expressed or actions taken by Mayor Travis, in the past or the future, which are counter to this resolution reflect his personal views and are in opposition to this Town Board, the community we represent, and the Town of Cornelius.†Commissioner Dave Gilroy offered the resolution; it was seconded by Mike Miltich.

Gilroy reacted this way after hearing of Travis’ actions from a Business Today and Cornelius Today reporter: “I’ve been informed that Chuck Travis, unknown to our Cornelius Town Board, met with NC Senate leadership and several NC Senators yesterday in Raleigh ‘to aggressively advocate’ for tolls on I-77. We are all shocked and deeply disturbed. Countless citizens, community leaders, and regional elected officials are working tirelessly to support HB954…to terminate the Cintra contract. We are on the 5-yard line potentially after many years of intensive grass-roots efforts. For Travis to compromise all of that at this utterly critical moment is a hard punch in the gut to Cornelius citizens and reprehensible.

Huntersville Mayor Aneralla said he found out about the meeting with Berger by accident, called Travis about it and Travis did not return his phone call.

“I didn’t know about it,†said Aneralla, who easily defeated the pro-toll incumbent, Jill Swain, last November.

"Lucy.....you've got some splainin to do"

Link

Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Pretty interesting to see these two town leaders (Travis and Woods) campaign so hard for something that the majority of their constituents are against. THEN, they claim to be representing themselves as citizens of NC rather than as Mayors of their respective towns. I'd like to see the average Joe Sixpack get the same audience that they did "as citizens".

They should be embarrassed to think the taxpayers are stupid enough to believe their nonsense. It really makes you wonder just what is in this Cintra tolls road deal for people like them!!!

Something definitely stinks around here!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,716 times
Looks like the cancel tolls bill is dead

Cancel I-77 tolls bill now dead - | WBTV Charlotte

Old 06-25-2016, 05:44 PM

23,808 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Looks like the cancel tolls bill is dead

Cancel I-77 tolls bill now dead - | WBTV Charlotte
I hope that people in the I 77 corridor remember this when Tillis runs for reelection.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:05 PM

545 posts, read 594,934 times
Thank goodness the Senate killed this stupidness and allowed the project to continue! Maybe WBTV news will shut up about it too. They are so obviously anti-toll it's not funny!

Old 06-26-2016, 01:29 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Thank goodness the Senate killed this stupidness and allowed the project to continue! Maybe WBTV news will shut up about it too. They are so obviously anti-toll it's not funny!
You're so right... Cheers to sending billions of dollars out of our economy to Spain, locking into a 50 year deal that prohibits improvements to options around the I77 corridor, putting ALL taxpayers in NC on the hook for when (not "if") Cintra goes bankrupt on this project as they do on their other projects, and sticking us with two general purpose lanes that will be gridlocked for travel since the tolls lanes are only beneficial to Cintra if people are forced to use them. What a great day for NC! By the way, this paves the way for more toll roads in the NC area too. Good work, McCrony and friends!

Old 06-27-2016, 04:05 PM

545 posts, read 594,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
You're so right... Cheers to sending billions of dollars out of our economy to Spain, locking into a 50 year deal that prohibits improvements to options around the I77 corridor, putting ALL taxpayers in NC on the hook for when (not "if") Cintra goes bankrupt on this project as they do on their other projects, and sticking us with two general purpose lanes that will be gridlocked for travel since the tolls lanes are only beneficial to Cintra if people are forced to use them. What a great day for NC! By the way, this paves the way for more toll roads in the NC area too. Good work, McCrony and friends!
And the comments made that the project will suck BILLIONS out of the economy and send to Spain is a absolute ignorant assumption. The parent company is actually Ferovial which purchased Cintra some time ago (December of 2009). The American subsidiary is actually based in Austin, TX. This concept is no different then say Food Lion Grocery Stores being a subsidiary of the Belgian company Delhaize, but with the American headquarters in Salisbury!

Transportation Infrastructure Projects | Cintra USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte