Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,977 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move my family of 5 from the greater Boston area to either northern florida or the Charlotte area. We are moving mainly for quality of life - we want a warm area where we can enjoy the outdoors. Also, we are looking for a real change in environment, since both of us have lived in the northeast our whole lives. I was wondering if I could hear from families who have made a similar move. How easy was it to find work? My husband is in coporate finance and is well paid. I don't expect Boston money, but can he find a well paying finance job in this area? Also, do I need private school for my kids? All 3 are in grade school, what are tuitions like? Lastly, we want to stay in the mid to upper 300's for a house - is this reasonable? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,953,265 times
You should easily be able to find a house in that range. Most in Charlotte base there location on where they work as to have the shortest commute possible. There are plenty of folks that have moved from Boston no problems. Private schools are plenty. Price depends on which one you choose.

I would recommend your husband landing a job before moving. Hope this helps a little.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
Default move to Charlotte

My husband and I are seriously considering a similar move. We live in Pittsburgh and badly need a change of scenery. My husband doesn't need a job as he travels and works remotely from home when he isn't on the road. So, essentially, we could move anywhere that has a great airport. I would really like to hear from somebody who has lived in Charlotte for a while about the pros and cons of living there. I know the climate is fabulous but give me some info that will help us with this life chaging decision... in other words.... HELP!

Having said that, I have been doing a ton of research on the net about homes in the Charlotte area. Our price range is similar to yours and I have found a ton of nice properties for 300,000 to 400,000 dollars. I just don't know about school districts and that is what I am researching now. I believe in sending my kids to public school but I just need to find out where the best ones are. I received a tip from a friend that Clover, Fort Mill (both in S.Carolina) and Weddington NC are all good areas to look at for schools. Maybe you and I could share info and help each other through this crazy time!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
We relocated from NY in 1998 -- we really do love it here. Yes, the weather is MUCH better. But even more important, compared to where we were in NY I believe that this is a much better place for our family.

In your price range you will have many options, both north and south. Fort Mill (SC) and Union County (includes Weddington, Waxhaw and Marvin) are south of Charlotte. We felt more comfortable on the south side of town, but my recommendation is to come down and look for yourself to see where you would feel more comfortable.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 AM

18 posts, read 69,730 times
A good site to check public schools stats is North Carolina Public Schools . You can check and see which schools perform better than others. This is a great place to live and raise a family. I have lived here my entire life (43 years). We are situated perfectly between the mountains and the beach and the center of the East Coast. I live in Cabarrus County not far from Lowes Motor Speedway.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:28 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormove08 View Post
I am looking to move my family of 5 from the greater Boston area to either northern florida or the Charlotte area. We are moving mainly for quality of life - we want a warm area where we can enjoy the outdoors. Also, we are looking for a real change in environment, since both of us have lived in the northeast our whole lives. I was wondering if I could hear from families who have made a similar move. How easy was it to find work? My husband is in coporate finance and is well paid. I don't expect Boston money, but can he find a well paying finance job in this area? Also, do I need private school for my kids? All 3 are in grade school, what are tuitions like? Lastly, we want to stay in the mid to upper 300's for a house - is this reasonable? Thanks for any input!
Hi there! I am a Boston native myself... Last residence was in Brookline. Also lived in Back Bay, Fenway and a short stint in Brighton.

I moved to Charlotte a few years back, and I LOVE IT!

Welcome!!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 PM

22 posts, read 113,483 times
Default also from Boston

I have lived here fo 17 years, I used to live in Back Bay as well. I love Charlotte and have lived in many different areas. I like South Charlotte/ Pineville area. Now with the light rail running it's great to get uptown more often. Private schools are not a must. Most of our schools are good schools, though I would recommend being in Myers Park or Providence High school zones if you want to be near the best ones. Look up the list for the top ranked schools in the U.S. and we have a few in the top 25.
I also like Matthews and Mint Hill area which is where I currently live. My Daughter goes to Northeast Middle School and she really likes it. I would suggest coming for a visit first and decide where you'll be comfortable. There are new homes being built all over the place. The ones down the street from me are really nice off of Lawers Road. Lebanon road has some really nice ones also. Well I hope I gave you some good ideas. Charlotte is extremely diverse and it is one of the reasons I love it so much. Don't worry about what you hear about our schools, like I said most of them are good schools.
MLH

Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 110,726 times
I am relocating from Chicago. Depending what you are looking for in a house, outdoor activities, or a sub-division community, there are many locations to look at.

If you are a boater, you will want to be near Lake Norman (Area 13). If you are looking for a kid friendly neighborhood, you may want to look at Duke Powers website. They are involved in residential communities. Many of their communities have Activity Director's.

Do you want to live in a Gated Community or live in a rural area? If you want to live near the water, in a New custom home w/o a boat slip, you can find a home for $525,00 on the low side. However, if a production or track home is ample for you, $350,000 should get you a decent home.

Private v Public schools. This is a touchy subject. If my kids went to the Chicago Public Schools, then Charlotte Public Schools would be fine. I'm glad I live in Naperville; Therefore my kids will be going to private school, with the exception of the Iredell or Lake Norman school system. Check out the link provided earlier in the forum.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormove08 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte