Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,496 times

Advertisements

Er......Walter?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
This was hilarious.

I posted on another thread about my views of Charlotte folks and how they view quirkiness.....ugh, those of us who are a bit *different* just can't be understood here.

Dawn

PS: And NO I do not smoke anything!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
This was hilarious.

I posted on another thread about my views of Charlotte folks and how they view quirkiness.....ugh, those of us who are a bit *different* just can't be understood here.

Dawn

Quirky we can deal with - we actually LOVED Mark Mathis here and he was the epitome of quirky - so don't make it sound like we Charloteans are such stick in the muds.

That rambling post just made no sense to me. My guess is that the writer was attempting to write something thought provoking - but he sure missed the mark, in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
This was hilarious.

Dawn

Dawn, methinks you have totally misunderstood. Southerners not only are into quirkiness, if you want to put it that way - we positively celebrate eccentricities!

When I lived in the midwest, one of the most oft asked questions was: "Are people really like that in the South" - referring to a character in Midnite in the Garden of Good and Evil - or a Flannery O'Connor story, or a Tennessee Wiliams play - or . . . a Pat Conroy character.

I would have to laugh b/c not only are people "like that," we all have families "like that."

Southerners are masters at satire, sarcasm, spoof, exaggeration, suspense, mystery and madness.

We just didn't think this one quite made its point.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Smoking the wacky tobacky in the Cackylacky?

Seriously....we've all got a rant we gotta get off our chests sometimes....

Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Well, then, shoot, I am really hanging out with the wrong people. I need to figure out where to find these folks. I have met some, but they don't seem to be Southern originally. I keep running into staunchy conservative, gotta have the nicest and biggest house and *look* good folks.

I feel often like a fish out of water. I can be a bit zaney myself.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dawn, methinks you have totally misunderstood. Southerners not only are into quirkiness, if you want to put it that way - we positively celebrate eccentricities!

When I lived in the midwest, one of the most oft asked questions was: "Are people really like that in the South" - referring to a character in Midnite in the Garden of Good and Evil - or a Flannery O'Connor story, or a Tennessee Wiliams play - or . . . a Pat Conroy character.

I would have to laugh b/c not only are people "like that," we all have families "like that."

Southerners are masters at satire, sarcasm, spoof, exaggeration, suspense, mystery and madness.

We just didn't think this one quite made its point.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well, then, shoot, I am really hanging out with the wrong people. I need to figure out where to find these folks. I have met some, but they don't seem to be Southern originally. I keep running into staunchy conservative, gotta have the nicest and biggest house and *look* good folks.

Dawn
You are definitely hanging out w/ the wrong people!!!! Most Southerners are very down to earth people and not into the wealthy wanna-be thing. The thing is - 2/3 of Charlotte is now made up of people from somewhere else. Not that I am complaining about that!!!! Some of the most wonderful people I know here in Charlotte are transplants and I am so glad they are here!

I will have to say - a phenomenon that is a left-over from small town life is this whole "look good" thing you referred to - as the mentality is - "If I look crappy I will doubtless run into so and so who I haven't seen since high school" so people tend to put on make up and decent clothing b/f running out to the grocery store, Hee Hee.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I am the one in the sweat pants and T-shirt!

That reminds me, about 3 weeks ago I ran out of coffee at my house! I could not function until I dragged my 3 kids to the local Harris Teeter for a pound of beans.

I looked wretched! Seriously! And wouldn't you know it, I ran into THREE people I know! That never happens!

Oh well!

And you are right about the area. There are some great people here, but many I have met are a bit into status. I just feel more comfortable with down to earth people. And I have found some here, but I don't find it to be the norm, if that makes sense.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are definitely hanging out w/ the wrong people!!!! Most Southerners are very down to earth people and not into the wealthy wanna-be thing. The thing is - 2/3 of Charlotte is now made up of people from somewhere else. Not that I am complaining about that!!!! Some of the most wonderful people I know here in Charlotte are transplants and I am so glad they are here!

I will have to say - a phenomenon that is a left-over from small town life is this whole "look good" thing you referred to - as the mentality is - "If I look crappy I will doubtless run into so and so who I haven't seen since high school" so people tend to put on make up and decent clothing b/f running out to the grocery store, Hee Hee.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:

Dawn
Dawn, those folks you keep meeting don't sound like southerners to me! You need to come to lunch we me and my friends sometime!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I am the one in the sweat pants and T-shirt!

That reminds me, about 3 weeks ago I ran out of coffee at my house! I could not function until I dragged my 3 kids to the local Harris Teeter for a pound of beans.

I looked wretched! Seriously! And wouldn't you know it, I ran into THREE people I know! That never happens!

Oh well!

And you are right about the area. There are some great people here, but many I have met are a bit into status. I just feel more comfortable with down to earth people. And I have found some here, but I don't find it to be the norm, if that makes sense.

Dawn
Dawn, it totally makes sense. In my neighborhood, wearing sweats or jeans and a sweat shirt is the norm, LOL. Of course, we all know how to get dressed up but no one is going to expect "full drag" to go the grocery store. Having said that - I gotta admit - even if I have my sweats on - I put on concealer and lipstick b/f I go to the grocery store!!!!

Now where I grew up . . . the women were very competitive and I suspect they still are. I hated to even go pick up my son after school unless I had on something "cute" b/c the mommies were always so decked out . . .

My youngest sister is adorable and I mean - a genuine cutie pie. Size 4 and that is after having twins!!! She is in M'ville. She looks adorable in whatever she puts on, but she says it is positively Wisteria Lane where she lives!!!! And none of the homeowners are natives - all transplants. She says there is a fashion show daily . . . down to perfect nails and jewelry.

So I am wondering . . . if all the attention to being "oh so" is b/c people have moved down here and think this is how Southerners live (meeting the expectation) or if women from other areas dressed up like this "back home."

I am so very curious . . . is this a Charlotopia phenomena that was already here . . . or did someone bring it down here?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte