Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,815 times

Advertisements

An eco-friendly avant-garde member trying to express his/her opinion of the frightening sameness that engulfs so many new communities....between the lines is a point well made that uniqueness is disappearing fast and the entire country may soon be a long line of strip malls where everyone nods and smiles and weather is sunny and never rains (whoops, not a good thing), as they skip from one big box to another, their entire being coded onto a plastic card for tracking ala the Truman Show......

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 02-19-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 02:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
This is an eco-friendly avant-garde member trying to express his/her opinion of sameness that engulfs so many new communities....between the lines is a point well made that uniqueness is disappearing fast and soon, the entire country will be a long line of strip malls where everyone nods and smiles and weather is sunny and never rains (whoops, not a good thing), as they skip from one big box to another, their entire coded onto a plastic card for tracking ala the Truman Show......
I like Pleasantville myself.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Honestly, my immediate neighbors are great. The general area here is a little more uptight, but not our immediate neighbors.

It is my church that is very Country Club. Not all, or we wouldn't be there! But overall, I would say it is.

But we have found our nitche there so we won't leave that church until we move.

Oh, and by the way, I have 3 boys to run after and I am still overweight. Sigh.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
With three boys to run after - she just seems to burn it off, but she does go to the gym at least 2 times a week. She does not diet - just doesn't snack.

And all the women in her neighborhood - Wisteria Lane II - look pretty much like her as far as dressing up and being thin and gorgeous!!!!!!

Yes, a place like this exists in Charlotopia!!! HA HA HA

Dawn, you must live around Wisteria Lane III if your neighbors are all dolled up and put together. Come over here - I am in Pleasantville area of Charlotopia - the hottest trend here is velour sweat suits in crayon colors!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I like Pleasantville myself.
I was like James Daly in that "Twilight Zone" episode who was just a harried guy looking for "Willoughby". Happily, I think I've found it!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Honestly, my immediate neighbors are great. The general area here is a little more uptight, but not our immediate neighbors.

It is my church that is very Country Club. Not all, or we wouldn't be there! But overall, I would say it is.

But we have found our nitche there so we won't leave that church until we move.

Oh, and by the way, I have 3 boys to run after and I am still overweight. Sigh.

Dawn
Don't feel bad. You are more the norm than the exception!!! And this is just now, not forever . . . when you can shift your life's emphasis from taking care of everyone else in your home - to focusing more on yourself - you will reach your goal!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I was like James Daly in that "Twilight Zone" episode who was just a harried guy looking for "Willoughby". Happily, I think I've found it!
Em, glad you are happy here . . .in Charlotopia!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
An eco-friendly avant-garde member trying to express his/her opinion of the frightening sameness that engulfs so many new communities....between the lines is a point well made that uniqueness is disappearing fast and the entire country may soon be a long line of strip malls where everyone nods and smiles and weather is sunny and never rains (whoops, not a good thing), as they skip from one big box to another, their entire being coded onto a plastic card for tracking ala the Truman Show......
Finally had time to catch up ... well put smalltownusa ... i enjoyed the original post. Had to laugh at the made-up, overly ostentatious names of the subdivisions.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
I liked the "Behind the Starbucks, no the other starbucks'' comment. I swear I have seen at least 3 shopping centers in this town that have 2 starbucks. Whats even more interesting is that they seemed to have their grand opening around the same time. Honestly, why do we need two in one shopping center? are we that demanding of coffee?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I liked the "Behind the Starbucks, no the other starbucks'' comment. I swear I have seen at least 3 shopping centers in this town that have 2 starbucks. Whats even more interesting is that they seemed to have their grand opening around the same time. Honestly, why do we need two in one shopping center? are we that demanding of coffee?
Well, good question but we have had posters here from Seattle who say there are not enuff Starbucks here. REALLY! So I guess it is what you get used to. I rarely have a Starbucks or Caribou Coffee or anything else b/c I am too cheap to pay for it. I make mine at home. It is not that I don't like it - I am just too cheap.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM

45 posts, read 221,020 times
I know exactly what they ment. I agree... Ops,, I did it again. I'm on the wrong thread.... anyone know how to get these off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte