Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 23,164 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding good/bad areas of Union County? I was partial to Waxhaw but after reading the emails back and forth from 2007, I have doubts. I thought Kennsington Elementary and Marvin Ridge Middle and High were very good. I am only going by what "school report card" is showing. I wasn't impressed with any other school systems statistically. That is why I would really like to hear from some people that live in the area. Hopefully then I can start to narrow down my search. We currently live in New Jersey and will be visiting the area in March. Any suggestions would be apprecitated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM

124 posts, read 440,815 times
Kensington Elementary was an Honor School of Excellence for the past school year- meaning 90% or more of the school population was performing at or above grade level. I have 2 children in Kensington right now, and I'm very satisfied overall with the school.

If you're coming in March, why not call the school and arrange for a tour? When we came in October of 2006, we met with the principal, and she showed us around the school and answered all of our questions (and my sister, who's a teacher, grilled her pretty hard). Do the same with Marvin Ridge. There's no better way to research than actually going there and speaking with those in charge.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:41 PM

429 posts, read 730,878 times
Fairview Elementary, Shiloh Elementary, Indian Trail Elem. and Union Academy are all thought to be good schools. They are also in different areas of Union Co. with Union Academy being a Charter School. Why don't you research these and see if they are of interest to you and tour them as well as Kensington and Marvin Ridge when you visit. I agree with BklynGal, those schools have high test scores. I think the best way for parents to tell if the school is truly a good fit for their child is to visit. If this is not something you feel like you can schedule being out of state, have your Realtor call and make the arrangements. School test scores are important, but only tell part of the story. A visit and "mini" interview with the administration will be time well spent. I wish you luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
Wink Another NJ MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMom View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding good/bad areas of Union County? I was partial to Waxhaw but after reading the emails back and forth from 2007, I have doubts. I thought Kennsington Elementary and Marvin Ridge Middle and High were very good. I am only going by what "school report card" is showing. I wasn't impressed with any other school systems statistically. That is why I would really like to hear from some people that live in the area. Hopefully then I can start to narrow down my search. We currently live in New Jersey and will be visiting the area in March. Any suggestions would be apprecitated. Thanks
My husband and I were going to be moving to Indian Trail NC last March until some Family things came up. But now We are going to Goahead and start again. Wish You well. I am Starting to Try to find Employment first this time For My husband.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,722,239 times
We also moved from New Jersey, where our children attended "blue ribbon" schools. Stick with the Marvin school cluster (i.e. Marvin Elementary or Rea View Elementary, Marvin Middle and High School) you won't be disappointed.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Default Relocating

Thanks all for the replys. I am definitely drawn to Waxhaw and the schools. I will plan to visit the schools on my trip down there. How is the job market?? My husband is in home improvement sales (windows, siding roofing) and will be looking for a job soon. Also, any suggestions on where to stay on our visit. We will be traveling with two kids but do not necessarily want to spend a fortune on the room. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM

84 posts, read 493,038 times
Try the Marriott Residence Inn - Piper Glen. We stayed there in September during our home search and were very happy. We have a family of 5 and had a 2 bedroom with a kitchen which was convenient. They have a breakfast in the morning and there are plenty of dining options in the immediate area. Plus, we were looking for a house in the same area you are (actually went into contract at Millbridge) so the location is convenient. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Default relocating

Thanks NYTiz, Millbridge is one of the developments we plan on visiting. What do you think about Prescot? We are going to visit there as well. I know the ameneties are not as nice but the home prices are considerably less.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM

124 posts, read 440,815 times
Millbridge is going to be really nice. The park will be right there, the Cureton Town Center and Prescot Village less than 5 minutes away, school is close and a hop skip and a jump to adorable Downtown Waxhaw!

We looked in Prescot too when we were looking at homes, but found it to be just a little bland.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 12,415 times
Default Interested in relocating to Charlotte

Our family is also very interested in moving to the Charlotte area. I have been looking into Mint Hill and Matthews. The schools seem to be pretty good there (Butler H.S.). I have a 15 year old (10th Grade) a 12 year old (6th Grade) and a 9 year old (Special Education for Autism). We currently live on Long Island in Merrick, NY. We have excellent schools and also have excellent services for our autistic son as well. I have looked into the exceptional children's program and it seems pretty good. Can anyone confirm if this is the right place to move not only for our typical boys, but especially our little guy who needs so much more.

We are looking to move by the end of the summer so they can start fresh in September. There is so much to consider and since it is such a big move for us, we want to make sure to do it right. Thanks for any suggestions or advice. It's best to hear from people already living there... thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte